Author Topic: Allan Jeans’ sole year as Richmond coach was spent dealing with anxiety (Age)  (Read 1351 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Allan Jeans' mental health battle revealed more than 25 years on

By Daniel Cherny
The Age
10 August 2018 — 3:00pm

Coaching great Allan Jeans’ sole year at the helm of Richmond was spent dealing with the debilitating effects of mental illness, according to then-Tigers chief executive Cameron Schwab.

Four-time premiership coach Jeans spent just one year at Punt Road, coaching Richmond to five wins in 1992 after replacing club legend Kevin Bartlett. He was replaced at the end of the season by John Northey.

Speaking in an episode of The Greatest Season That Was: 1993  podcast to be released on Monday, Schwab revealed Jeans, who died in 2011, had been suffering from anxiety.

“It was no later than round one or two. He came to me and said that he was ill. I was assuming it was something to do with [his] brain injury a few years earlier. He didn’t coach in ‘88. But he actually was dealing with anxiety,” Schwab said.

“It was a big thing at the time, because I’d never had anyone really explain mental illness to me in any way, in any shape or form. He was starting to talk to the debilitating effects of the anxiety, and basically said he wouldn’t be able to coach beyond the end of that year.”

Schwab explained that Jeans’ illness had been kept a secret.

“It was an unbelievable act of courage on his behalf. So the club never saw the best of him because of that, as much as anything.

“But you wouldn’t have necessarily have known that. Certainly in-club, I don’t know who Allan told in his own support group, but in club there would have been only two or three people who knew.

“We worked through the year really closely together, and formed a relationship which particularly after my father [AFL administrator Alan Schwab] died [in 1993], was probably as significant in my life as any other person”.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/allan-jeans-mental-health-battle-revealed-more-than-25-years-on-20180809-p4zwlo.html

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Coaching us back then would've driven the best of men nuts...and apparently it did.... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
They should never have shafted KB in the first place. KB was building a solid team and would’ve eventually been successful. I remember the herald sun photo of Jeans press conference with the “bloody idiot” sign just above his head.
Those muppets that thought booing KB was a good idea should be ashamed of themselves he is a Richmond legend not a bloody ex Carlscum cheat (Walls) who didn’t want to coach anymore nor was he a washed up has been ex coach (Jeans) who was mentally or physically past it. KB is an absolute champ of the club rattling tins and coaching a bunch of kids and should never had been treated with such disrespect. I could never blame him for his self imposed exile 

The administration at the time should be ashamed also bloody stupid bunch of idiots.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
KB was a champion of our club but I lost a bit of respect for him when he shot his mouth off about Dusty a couple of years back during the chopstick saga. He wasn’t the Lone Ranger but Dusty had earned at the very least our support until everything was out in the open. Take away the tattoos and Dusty was just a shy kid.
The fact a female was involved gave some of the old farts the chance to play the high and mighty card but we all know how stupid it made them look when the truth came out.

It’s all well and good to play the fool on SEN and say we are going to win the GF by 100 points or some crap like that, but when it was KB’s time to stand up as a true Tiger and support one of our own, he chose to try and sound good in stead. 

I’m not the sort of person to hold a grudge for long but somethings are just unforgivable.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
Yes. Not KBs best moment but I think he’s done more for our club than anyone I can think of. He’s earned the respect over the years of service and put his hand up to coach us when we were more broke than Fitzroy.

He was definitely wrong about Dusty but KB has the runs on the board and should always be respected. 
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
KB was a champion of our club but I lost a bit of respect for him when he shot his mouth off about Dusty a couple of years back during the chopstick saga. He wasn’t the Lone Ranger but Dusty had earned at the very least our support until everything was out in the open. Take away the tattoos and Dusty was just a shy kid.
The fact a female was involved gave some of the old farts the chance to play the high and mighty card but we all know how stupid it made them look when the truth came out.

It’s all well and good to play the fool on SEN and say we are going to win the GF by 100 points or some crap like that, but when it was KB’s time to stand up as a true Tiger and support one of our own, he chose to try and sound good in stead. 

I’m not the sort of person to hold a grudge for long but somethings are just unforgivable.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame

mate he wasnt the only one to call for dustys head as i recall. :shh

we have won a flag so wgaf IMO. Everyone is forgiven including mclovin, petrified and lounder.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame

I agree with the sentiment of the post until the last sentence.
 I reckon KB has done more than enough for our club for his overblown hype to be ignored over Dusty.
Youve said more offensive stuff about our team after a bad loss than KB has in his lifetime so I don’t know what gives you the right to take the moral high ground over a throw away comment he made years ago....
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
KB is a 5 time premiership player.  Just imagine that for a while. He's earnt the right to say anything.
Unleash the tornado