Author Topic: Prelim Final: Richmond vs Collingwood, Friday night, Sept. 21.  (Read 35939 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Prelim Final: Richmond vs Collingwood, Friday night, Sept. 21.
« Reply #330 on: September 21, 2018, 10:22:12 PM »
Our blokes put the cue in the rack pretty quick didn't they
We were taking risks 5 goals down setting up forward of the ball at stoppages. If we didn't 50/50 it or win the clearance then we get burned. That's what has happened since they got their first goal of the last. No point losing by 3-4 goals in a knockout final. Go for the win means risking being pumped in the last 10 mins.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #331 on: September 21, 2018, 10:22:55 PM »
Disappointing because its a premiership thrown away gor nothing. Last year Adelaide were the best side in it for most of the year and we came over the top. This year we were the best side but we threw a flag away. Its a real shame.
Yep, a season wasted. One bad game has cost us the flag.

The weird thing is if we lost it last year as underdogs then won it this year as favourite it wouldn't feel so bad.

Throwing it away to Collingwood makes it all the more worst.

Wouldn't say flag eagles or dees would smash as next week on that form.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #332 on: September 21, 2018, 10:24:26 PM »
In the light of day, the question will be asked who was on Sidebottom? Every time he got the ball he wasn't in cooee of a Tiger opponent. He's their best user of the pill. He's had almost 40 touches under no pressure.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #333 on: September 21, 2018, 10:30:28 PM »
One side was a lot hungrier
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #334 on: September 21, 2018, 10:33:08 PM »
In the light of day, the question will be asked who was on Sidebottom? Every time he got the ball he wasn't in cooee of a Tiger opponent. He's their best user of the pill. He's had almost 40 touches under no pressure.

The funny thing about that was today I was told that we wouldn't bother tagging him and he would run rampant and that dusty would do nothing.  And sure enough we did nothing about sidebottom.
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #335 on: September 21, 2018, 10:36:08 PM »
Disappointing because its a premiership thrown away gor nothing. Last year Adelaide were the best side in it for most of the year and we came over the top. This year we were the best side but we threw a flag away. Its a real shame.
Yep, a season wasted. One bad game has cost us the flag.

The weird thing is if we lost it last year as underdogs then won it this year as favourite it wouldn't feel so bad.

Throwing it away to Collingwood makes it all the more worst.

Wouldn't say flag eagles or dees would smash as next week on that form.
Prelim are in some ways harder to win than Grand Finals when you're overwhelming favourites. Just ask Essendon 1999. The mental pressure of the fear of losing and throwing away a successful H/A season (plus key players not being right) got to us once we started to fall behind on the scoreboard.  We played tense and reactive whereas the Pies played with freedom and growing confidence.

If we had won tonight we would've won next week IMHO. The pressure valve would've been released. Tonight was our worst performance on the 'G in years. Actually that streak probably played its part too. Just another mental burden.

Sadly, we've got to now sit back and watch the Pies win their 16th flag next week :chuck. The Eagles have to come here while it's going to be hard for even MCG tenants Melbourne to back up after a trip to Perth.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #336 on: September 21, 2018, 10:39:46 PM »
As I said earlier tonight's winner will win the flag. Wasted opportunity
Good on the boys for playing a great season unfortunately it wssnr meant to be.

The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline crackertiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #337 on: September 21, 2018, 10:45:00 PM »
Lost the game in the Ruck I thought. Nank was smashed.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #338 on: September 21, 2018, 10:45:06 PM »
Our response is really important now. In the past there has been retribution. Thankfully Neil Balme is running the show and that is unlikely. We shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water. We have Lynch coming. We need to get a ruckman to help Nankervis and maybe another inside mid.

In terms of getting rid of players, I have to say, I don't want to see wholesale change, but we also have to be honest with ourselves,
I don't think Conca has ever done anything in a final, Jayden Short does nice things but is he a big game player as well? Today Butler should have played and I called for it early in the week, Collingwood has good pace around the ground, and we shouldn't take players into finals who have the flu like Astbury. For mine a big part of the loss was achieved at selection but also, our first half as a defending champion was disgraceful. How we didn't turn up to play was beyond me.

So today is disappointing. I should be asleep because I have dialysis at 6.30 am tomorrow but Im shattered so I know I cant sleep
anyway. Spent the last hour cleaning the house just to do something.

But lets not forget, we will finish 3rd, it wasn't so long ago that if people had told us we'd finish third we probably be really happy.
Now we finish 3rd and we are disappointed and shattered. Weve come a long way as a club. Lets not go back to the bad old
days with bad decisions being made based on one loss.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #339 on: September 21, 2018, 10:49:34 PM »
Dimma didn't have his best day today

Selection table don't take unfit players in finals no matter how important.

Matchups Grimes was the man for De Goery not Rance to slow to make change.What happen with 3 rd man up chopping out Cox.

No one tagging Sidebottom come on honestly everything from pies comes from him.

To slow in first half to react and slow game down.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #340 on: September 21, 2018, 11:01:41 PM »
Didn’t come to play today. As simple as that. Apart from jack and cotch I don’t think any player can say they even had an ok game. Defense did not handle Cox well at all, where was the player guarding the space in front of him that could come in from the side to spoil? Absolutely horrible.

Collingwood came to play, they were getting all the bounces and deservedly so because they were harder at it and always had more numbers at the fall of the ball.

No changes at the selection table would have stopped what happened tonight - was an absolute destruction job in the first half.

All we can do now is pray that the eagles or at the very least Melbourne can knock them off next week.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #341 on: September 21, 2018, 11:04:20 PM »
Well said Ramps.

Dimma didn't have his best day today

Selection table don't take unfit players in finals no matter how important.

Matchups Grimes was the man for De Goery not Rance to slow to make change.What happen with 3 rd man up chopping out Cox.

No one tagging Sidebottom come on honestly everything from pies comes from him.

To slow in first half to react and slow game down.
Spot on, georgies. Can't argue with any of that.

dwaino

« Reply #342 on: September 21, 2018, 11:05:56 PM »
Watching them looked like us this time last year. We weren't that hungry.

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #343 on: September 21, 2018, 11:11:24 PM »
They played our game plan better than us. Have been trying to copy us all year and now do it better than us. Their front 6 is better than ours.

Did we take  unfit players into the game ????
Sure looked lkke it. With the players we have pushing up from the 2's this should never happen.

Did we go into the game over confident? ????
Sure looked lkke it.

Shattered but sort of thought it was coming.
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #344 on: September 21, 2018, 11:12:42 PM »
You know its 11.10 and its been a disappointing night. When a player is no longer around, maybe in my imagination or maybe others
as well, they become better than what they really were, I thought watching Cox tonight, that if we had a big 200cm guy running with him and standing 10 metres in front of him that maybe we could have curtailed him. Cue Ben Griffiths, maybe Ben wouldn't have done
anything, who knows its just a hypothetical I suppose. Losing finals isn't easy to take, but its a what if … we need to find a big mobile
200+cm guy to help Nank.