Author Topic: Player Development  (Read 900 times)

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Player Development
« on: April 26, 2019, 08:54:29 AM »
Seems to be a focus area behind the scenes that we are now seeing the on field benefit.
Ross, Baker, Stack, Balta, Higgins all played on Wednesday night - the 5 youngest players on the ground.
All had an impact.
Naish, CCJ, RCD, Turner - who is already having an impact in the 2’s, Bolton and hopefully Garthwaite all look in a good place to impact the seniors into the future.

They are playing in a reserved team that is strong in it's competition.

It augers well for a dynasty lads. Let’s hope it continues.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Player Development
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 09:41:48 AM »
For many years I have been an avowed Eagles watcher. Living in WA I guess, but also admiring the way they seem to only bottom out for a very short period of time before climbing back up the ladder once again. Their recruiting always seemed to border on the miraculous. They could pull players from anywhere.

I felt all along that it was player development that was driving their success. They could take pretty much any player and get the most out of them. In particular, their ability to develop interstate recruits is first class.

We often used to malign our recruiting. But I think the issue was that we had access to the best available talent, and despite not having a lot of recruiting resources, you cannot convince me that we so consistently got it wrong. The RFC was simply a place where young promising careers came to die. These kids had the talent, we just didn't develop and nurture it properly. It was sink or swim and only the very toughest could swim in the conditions we gave them.

But you still have to have the right resources in place, it is not just a case of having the resources. Compare the Eagles and Dockers as an example. Both pretty much get whatever resources they want from the WA Footy commission. One club knows what it is doing, the other not so much.

Hats off to our club. We have the resources and we seemingly are using them effectively. Adding players like Ross and Stack to your side is how you win premierships.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 10:57:12 AM »
 :thumbsup
Totally agree
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 06:40:46 PM »
Trying to block it out but with FJ as our head recruiter we never had a chance. That guy is the main reason we were a laughing stock.... but not anymore.

I have been one eyed all my life but with that clown at the club I wasn’t really proud of it.

Our club is in great hands at present and I couldn’t be prouder.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 08:01:30 PM »
For many years I have been an avowed Eagles watcher. Living in WA I guess, but also admiring the way they seem to only bottom out for a very short period of time before climbing back up the ladder once again. Their recruiting always seemed to border on the miraculous. They could pull players from anywhere.

I felt all along that it was player development that was driving their success. They could take pretty much any player and get the most out of them. In particular, their ability to develop interstate recruits is first class.

We often used to malign our recruiting. But I think the issue was that we had access to the best available talent, and despite not having a lot of recruiting resources, you cannot convince me that we so consistently got it wrong. The RFC was simply a place where young promising careers came to die. These kids had the talent, we just didn't develop and nurture it properly. It was sink or swim and only the very toughest could swim in the conditions we gave them.

But you still have to have the right resources in place, it is not just a case of having the resources. Compare the Eagles and Dockers as an example. Both pretty much get whatever resources they want from the WA Footy commission. One club knows what it is doing, the other not so much.

Hats off to our club. We have the resources and we seemingly are using them effectively. Adding players like Ross and Stack to your side is how you win premierships.

Totally agree eagles always seem to pick up gems early or late picks.They have the best development programme.I do agree player development wasn't great a lot better now. We did waste a lot of picks on players that seemed flash in the pan.JON,Lennon,Pattison,Meyer the list goes on.Development wasn't a issue with them not good enough.