Author Topic: Richmond vs Melbourne @ the MCG - Anzac Eve - Round 6, 2019  (Read 7721 times)

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Re: Richmond vs Melbourne @ the MCG - Anzac Eve - Round 6, 2019
« Reply #105 on: April 24, 2019, 11:13:33 PM »
Interesting stat from the game tonight.

We laid 76 tackles for the game, and only 3 Tigers failed to lay a tackle.

Grimes
Broad
Astbury

Amazing to think that none of our key back men had to lay a tackle.

They didn't have to. The Dees kept passing it to them
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #107 on: April 25, 2019, 02:21:06 AM »
Tigers end up 43 point victors on the back of some intense forward half pressure. They won 28 more forward half intercepts, recorded 29 more inside 50s and had the ball in their forward half of the ground for 20 more minutes than the Demons.

Richmond has laid 20 more tackles than the Demons, despite winning 30 more disposals. When broken into zones, the Tigers have laid 19 more tackles in their forward half, and lead forward 50 tackles 17 to three.

Team Stats

Disposals:  391 - 351  ( contested: 156 - 167 )
Clearances:  38 - 40    ( centre: 9 - 10 )
Inside 50s:   71 - 42   ( marks F50: 13 - 8 ) 
Tackles:       76 - 57
Hitouts:       28 - 51
Frees:          20 - 15

Individuals possessions

Houli    32
Prestia  30
Lambert 29
Floss    28
Ross    28
Higgins 25
Ellis      22
Caddy  19
Baker   19
Sheds   18
Dusty   17
Jack     16
Broad   14
Grimes  14
Kmac    14
Nank    13
Stack    12
George  11
Astbury  10
Lynch     8
Balta      6
Rioli       6

https://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2019/6/rich-v-melb

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #108 on: April 25, 2019, 08:14:23 AM »
what the stuff was going on all night with the umpire letting them smash the ball out of Lynches mitts after he marked it?  And he just calls play on and ignores the mark?   Happened like 4 or 5 times in the first half of the game, I couldn't believe it, am I delusional or did it happen?
Lots of people name their swords......

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #109 on: April 25, 2019, 08:16:11 AM »
what the stuff was going on all night with the umpire letting them smash the ball out of Lynches mitts after he marked it?  And he just calls play on and ignores the mark?   Happened like 4 or 5 times in the first half of the game, I couldn't believe it, am I delusional or did it happen?

I am with you Owl, just posted similar in the umpiring are maggots thread

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #110 on: April 25, 2019, 09:45:12 AM »
Will watch the replay at some stage but watching it live last night gee Vlastuin and Grimes controlled the back half perfectly. Houli was sensational as was Ross, Stack, Prestia and others, however the one who caught my eye was Baker. He is so clean and makes great decisions...very similar to Edwards in the way he sees the game and can see space which not many can see. I will also note his gut running to push himself to multiple contests is outstanding:clapping

Cant split my highlight for the night between the mark by Stack or the hit on Viney by Stack :shh   

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #111 on: April 25, 2019, 12:00:32 PM »
Positives for me were the tackling and the games of Stack, Vlastuin, Grimes, Baker and Lambert. Also a positive is we won the game without a big game from Martin or Rioli and that many players like Caddy had quiet games but we still won. Negatives for me were the disposal at times, the fact that we kept them in the game by failing to convert opportunities especially in the third quarter and the injury to Jack.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #112 on: April 26, 2019, 01:18:59 PM »
Richmond vs Melbourne - things we learned

By Joel Bowes
The Pinch Hitters
26 April 2019

Simon Goodwin is struggling to provide answers

In a game that saw Richmond dominate for the the entirety of three quarters, it wasn’t actually the great defensive effort of the Dees that kept the score low. Instead, it was Richmond being completely wasteful. Play this game again, and Richmond could have won this game by 100 points. But despite Max Gawn saying it was better than what they dished up the week before, and Simon Goodwin saying that there are positives, I’m not sure if either of these statements are true. The 43 point margin flattered the Dees in every sense of the word – they were dominated in every part of the game. So Goodwin’s words in his post game presser? To me, he’s just saying what he has been told to say.

Am I watching 2017 again?

Richmond’s 2018 saw them get past teams with skill and a game plan that exploited their evident skill advantage that they had over nearly every team. 2017 on the other hand was a sight that saw the Tiges win games through aggression, tackling and intensity. For a Tiger fan who saw us win the flag off the back of that, and a defence that was stingier than ever, it seems as if it is back in 2019. Conceding just two goals in the final three quarters, Richmond looked as if they had turned the clock back to their premiership winning year. Yes – their past two weeks have only been against Melbourne and Sydney, but Richmond’s start to 2017 saw a quite soft start too, where they managed to get everything together at the right time. Their pressure is outrageous, and the forward 50 tackling they possess is outstanding. They have had 39 tackles inside 50 in the past two weeks – that is an alarming stat.

Richmond’s youth look ready made

A lot has been made of Sydney Stack, and rightfully so. But he looks like one of Richmond’s most experienced players, the way he attacks the ball and reads the game. His intercept work is something of a 100-gamer, and his ferocity at the football is making him a cult hero. Someone who hasn’t been spoken about as much is Jack Ross, a player who’s first three weeks have rivalled the likes of Sam Walsh. Ross had 28 touches on Wednesday night, including 14 in the last quarter when the game was still on the line. He was one of Richmond’s best and most important players, being apart of the starting four at most centre bounces. Pretty good for a third gamer. Then there is the resurgence of Liam Baker who looks like he may have replaced Dan Butler as one of the three forward amigos, and Jack Higgins who nobody really sees as a youngster anymore, because he looks so comfortable in a Tigers jumper. Richmond don’t seem to have any passengers at the moment, and similar to 2017, their bottom ten seem to be coming along very nicely.

Can an injury plagued Richmond win the flag?

Yes. If the Tigers can get themselves into a strong finals position, they will still be a threat come finals time. Collingwood are the only team to have beaten them at the MCG since the back end of the 2017 home and away season, many seem to forget that. Trent Cotchin and Jack Riewoldt will be back in the next month or so, and by the looks of it, Richmond will be okay for now until this happens. If you told Damien Hardwick that his side would be 4-2 with all of their key players being out of the side at one point, which have included two interstate games and one against Collingwood, him and every other Tiger fan would have bitten your arm off. Richmond will still be a threat in September, and I’m sure there is no team that would want to come up against them at the MCG.

https://pinchhittersoz.com.au/2019/04/26/richmond-vs-melbourne-five-things-we-learned/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #113 on: April 29, 2019, 12:39:25 AM »
The Tigers have rediscovered their bite

Ben Guthrie
afl.com.au
29 April 2019

Throughout the 2017 finals series, Richmond's immense pressure and ability to keep the ball trapped in its forward half was the benchmark of the competition. In the first three weeks of this season, that staple of the Tigers' game style was missing in action. But that physical style has returned with a vengeance in recent weeks and their ability to force 47 forward-half turnovers in the Anzac Day Eve game was critical in Richmond's big win over Melbourne. Despite missing a number of key players through injury, the performances of players such as Liam Baker, Sydney Stack and Jack Ross have added plenty of energy and life into the Tigers' side. That those players have fitted in so seamlessly is a credit to the Tigers' system and the game style that they have developed.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-28/nine-things-we-learned-from-round-six

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #114 on: April 29, 2019, 07:56:05 PM »
Coaches votes (Hardwick & Goodwin)

RICHMOND v MELBOURNE

10 Nick Vlastuin (RICH)
7 Bachar Houli (RICH)
6 Dion Prestia (RICH)
5 Kane Lambert (RICH)
2 Dylan Grimes (RICH)

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-29/coaches-votes-r6-gun-lion-champion-cat-pie-make-a-move

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #115 on: April 29, 2019, 08:50:10 PM »
Coaches votes (Hardwick & Goodwin)

RICHMOND v MELBOURNE

10 Nick Vlastuin (RICH)
7 Bachar Houli (RICH)
6 Dion Prestia (RICH)
5 Kane Lambert (RICH)
2 Dylan Grimes (RICH)

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-29/coaches-votes-r6-gun-lion-champion-cat-pie-make-a-move
Lambert putting together a pretty good season.... again  :shh