Author Topic: Would you trade Butler for a 3rd round draft pick?  (Read 1435 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Would you trade Butler for a 3rd round draft pick?
« on: May 25, 2019, 03:38:27 AM »
2019 mid-season trade period: Moves that could have worked

Zero Hanger
24 May 2019

With the AFL mid-season draft fast approaching, the idea of a trade period to match has been suggested by CEO Gillon McLachlan for the league’s future.

If a mid-season trade-period was to be implemented into the 2019 season, there would be a few names circling the trade block and here’s who might just be making a move mid-year.

Dan Butler (Richmond)

Potential suitors: Melbourne, Essendon

Once a livewire and key component of the Tigers’ 2017 premiership campaign, Butler has struggled to keep up with the standard shown by Damien Hardwick’s best 22. In 2018, Butler produced strong parallels with his flag-winning debut season but has struggled to find that same consistency in 2019.

The 23-year-old has battled for selection in Richmond’s VFL side this season after playing the first three games of the year before being dropped from the Tigers’ lineup.

A keen-eye for goal and a menace to defenders with his ability to press, Butler would certainly add much-needed energy to Victorian rivals Essendon and Melbourne.

A third round selection might just get the job done, with Richmond’s small forward/midfield stocks at a surplus, but still expect the Tigers to play hard-ball. Both the Bombers and Demons could think about offering a second-round selection for Butler and receive a third/fourth in return.

https://www.zerohanger.com/2019-mid-season-trade-period-moves-that-could-have-worked-29961/

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Would you trade Butler for a 3rd round draft pick?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 06:52:24 AM »
Richmond premiership player. Speed to burn. Young with another 7 to 10 years of footy left. Late 1st round pick thanks. Essendon supporters wanting good players for free lol.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 06:58:35 AM »
Viney has told Melbourne to get the deal done for him as a straight swap for Butler.

Rumour has it he is prepared to sacrifice his love of the Demons to ensure he doesn't have to play against Syd Stack again.

Online pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 08:40:09 PM »
3rd rounder? Are you drunk??

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 01:05:30 PM »
Early second rounder would be a fair trade pick 20-25.

Or as a sweetener for a major trade.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 07:35:08 PM »
Of all our small forwards I think Butler is the most one dimensional. So saying that I would be ok if we traded him out and to be honest, I think he is worth a pick somewhere between 35 to 45.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 07:37:00 PM »
Of all our small forwards I think Butler is the most one dimensional. So saying that I would be ok if we traded him out and to be honest, I think he is worth a pick somewhere between 35 to 45.

Would you trade Castagna?

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 07:43:00 PM »

Would you trade Castagna?
No

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 07:46:33 PM »
BT wouldn't trade Castagna for Fyfe and 17 future first round picks. Silly question Ramps.
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 07:50:06 PM »
I already knew the answer ... lol. Ive always thought that Butler was a better player.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2019, 09:48:24 PM »
I already knew the answer ... lol. Ive always thought that Butler was a better player.
Yer that’s why he is playing in the twos and we have about 58 injuries.

Wake up Ramps!

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2019, 01:57:08 AM »
Im sorry Tone but I still rate Butler ahead of Castagna.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2019, 02:29:46 PM »
On recent AFL form George is way ahead of Butler.

Butler was stinky before being dropped this year and George has been good in recent weeks.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2019, 03:05:38 PM »
I think out of all our smalls Butler actually has the most potential as a mildfielder and still rate him highly on talent...still  won't lose any sleep if he's traded out as long as we get something decent for him....has become too much of a a show pony and is bit of a squib... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.