Author Topic: How did we rate this trade period?  (Read 5572 times)

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
How did we rate this trade period?
« on: October 17, 2018, 08:33:03 PM »
Well that's it gents. All over. How did we rate this trade period. for me 7/10 coz we got lynch.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Re: How did we rate this trade period?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 10:15:03 PM »
We got our big fish (the biggest of them all) and still have 2 picks before Hawks and Collingwood have their first. Good effort, we just need some midfield depth.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 11:19:55 PM »
Matty Lloyd had us as one of the three winners of the trade period along with Freo and his Bombers.

His losers were Sydney, Bulldogs and of course Gold Coast.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 12:05:53 AM »
Well that's it gents. All over. How did we rate this trade period. for me 7/10 coz we got lynch.
Yep, 7 out of 10 is what I would go with also. Didn't/Couldn't do anything IN wise in the trade period but beating Collingwood and Hawthorn to gain Lynch as a free agent was a great get.  In hindsight, we probably should have moved on a couple of Conca, Lloyd, Miles, C.Ellis or Stengle this time last year after winning the flag when they may have had greater trade value (eg: future 2018 2nd/3rd round picks which we could use now). Having said that, would we have still finished top with less depth which appealed to Lynch who wanted to move to a club in a(nother) premiership window.

We got our big fish (the biggest of them all) and still have 2 picks before Hawks and Collingwood have their first. Good effort, we just need some midfield depth.
Agree wayne. Mostly mids (especially a few inside hard bodied ballwinners). Add a spare ready-made ruckman and that would be near perfect.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 04:00:39 AM »
Trade Period verdict: How did your club fare?

Nick Bowen
afl.com.au
18 Oct 2018

RICHMOND

In: Tom Lynch, picks 64, 68, 2019 third-round pick

Out: Reece Conca, Corey Ellis, Sam Lloyd, Anthony Miles, Tyson Stengle, 2019 third-round pick

Win: When he's firing, one of the best key forwards in the game

Lose: Depth – injuries weren't a problem in 2018 but they better not be in 2019

2018 draft picks: 17, 37, 64, 68, 74, 92

What couldn't they get done?
After putting all their eggs in the Tom Lynch basket, the Tigers didn't have cap room to chase anyone else. Signing the star spearhead also meant they had to wave goodbye to a raft of depth players – Reece Conca, Sam Lloyd, Tyson Stengle, Anthony Miles and Corey Ellis – which could hurt them next season.

Verdict:
In beating Collingwood and Hawthorn to Tom Lynch's signature, the Tigers picked up this year's best free agent. The 2016 All Australian spearhead has been restricted by injury over the past two seasons but if he can get back to his best, he and Jack Riewoldt will form the most dangerous one-two punch in the competition. Fears Lynch's addition could ruin the small forward-line formula the Tigers have used so effectively over the past two years also appear unfounded given Lynch's ability to roam up the ground if required. It's far more likely he will make Richmond an even more potent and versatile outfit.

Rating: 8.5/10

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-17/trade-period-verdict-how-did-your-club-fare

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 07:02:16 AM »
Got the bloke we really wanted (targeted)

Got rid of a couple of fringe players

And Clubs can still exchange picks up until mid November

All good  :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 09:29:43 AM »
Couldn't go any less than an 8/10. Still think we landed the biggest fish on the market and payed the least amount for him relative to your Shiels/Hogans/Beams/Neales etc. That's elite, and being overlooked IMO.

If we got another solid B grader in, a Scully or Crouch (Parker  ;)) Then would have been a big fat 10.

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 09:30:13 AM »
Yep all seems good, I gave it a 7, I guess we wanted to get someone for nothing but at the end of the day other clubs were shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic.
Collingwood seems to have done well and I can't imagine how they got Beams, their salary cap must be stretched to the last cent with Treloar commanding big $, De Goey, Moore would be wanting an increase etc.

In the main draft, well we don't have a lot of early choices but in the AFL Communist Regime of all clubs needing to be the same who would expect it?

I am sure we are targetting some good ready made talent and a few VFL players will get an opportunity to step up.

Excited about Balta, Baker, Garthwaite, Coleman Jones, Chol, Mrakov, Moore so lets see what pans out.

I think the leadership qualities of Tom Lynch may also be an added surprise for the club. Not only have we drafted a top player but also a top person.

As a matter of interest what happened to our GWS pick for Lids from last year?...

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 09:51:54 AM »
Reviewing 2018 we won 18 games and were strong in so many areas. Had a shocker in the Pre Lim. Off day or have we been found out?

We have kept all the players who won those 18 games and kept the top 20 from our best and fairest.

We still have the best defence. We have a strong midfield. We now have Lynch who has a strong mark and is mobile. He will compliment Jack. This should increase our scoring potential.

Kept pick 17, which should bring in a good midfielder. Plenty of midfield options around that pick and into the mid 20s. Even at 37 we should get a player.

Looking forward to Graham and Higgins steady improvement as they get more games experience. Interested to see Markov, Bolton and Balta improve.

And we still have depth. Lynch comes into the pre lim 22 pushing one out and then there is Menadue, Ellis and if we select correctly pick 17 draftee.

Overall we have improve our already strong position. Rating 8 out of 10 with potential to increase that to 9 if we draft well.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 10:30:54 AM »
We got the biggest fish in the pond.  Just need to jag a few role players to help out in the midfield.
Unleash the tornado

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2018, 10:31:15 AM »
I'm concerned about our midfield. I think we are one or two quality players short.

Collingwood made our mids look second rate in the prelim (just an off day? I'm not so sure) and then they went and added Beams, while we offloaded the bulk of our depth.

Offline Shammo80

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2018, 11:25:57 AM »
we aimed to get the biggest fish in lynch we got him we got rid off deadwood that have been around for a while and only really play due to injuries not if they perform and are entitled to get games on there ability.
our back 6 is the best in the league rance,ash,grimes,nick,short,bacha... mids we can rotate a number of players - dusty.cotch.lambert.edwards.graham.dion and if ellis gets right can go through thereso that's strong and then the front half bang which will make it happen come on jack and tom massive 2  then caddy.dan x2.george Higgins we are good place at moment.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2018, 11:31:32 AM »
I don't think Miles/CEllis/Lloyd are stars by any means but - "deadwood that have been around for a while and only really play due to injuries not if they perform and are entitled to get games on there ability"

....That is ridiculous. Every one of those boys, especially Lloyd & Miles, earned just about every senior game they ever received. Snipper had games where he got 50+ in the 2's FFS.
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2018, 12:43:47 PM »
Definitely not deadwood. Great clubmen.
One thing though is that we knew their ceiling when it came to abilities. Getting new youth in is exciting as some may have much higher ceilings in the longer term but we lose the experience initially.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2018, 01:06:21 PM »
- Miles played 1 game this year and 5 the year before. Did not even get selected against essendon when majority of our midfield (cotch, prestia, lambert) were out. Whether you agree with his limited selections or not, his departure will have little to no impact on our afl team.
- Stengle played 0 games this year and 2 the year before. Had all of castagna, butler, rioli, higgins, bolton and baker ahead of him for a spot as a small fwd. Again, his departure will have little to no impact on our afl team.

The biggest loss will be that of conca, lloyd and Cellis. No matter what we think of their ability, the coaches had conca in our best 22 and lloyd and Cellis as the first 2 options to come in when injuries/form issues hit.

This in my opinion is where we may struggle if we are hit with injuries in the midfield next year as there are no obvious replacements for those 3 in our vfl team. While we have depth (although raw) in the key position areas in Balta, Garthwaite, Coleman Jones, Chol, Miller, Moore and Soldo and also have markov, menadue and Bellis to push for spots on the half back flank and wing, we really dont currently have anyone to cover our inside mids which is where the priority needs to be come draft day.