Author Topic: How did we rate this trade period?  (Read 5478 times)

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: How did we rate this trade period?
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2018, 09:47:40 AM »
I'm happy.

Obviously Miles and C Ellis were unofficially part of the Lynch deal, so it's hard to be upset about the picks we got them them. Fact is that if Lynch is on $6.5million for 7 years or so then we're DEFINIELY paying him less than someone else would have, including GCS, so we have unloaded depth players to get the forward we've been wanting for years and the best on the market for years. Big win here.

Stengle to Adel for a late pick...nothing to complain about here. Guy had potential yes, but never played AFL, so we can hardly feel ripped off here.

Lloyd to WB for a late pick...didn't they have something like pick 47? I think we could have asked for a better pick for Lloyd, but largely I think we owed it to him to let him go and play some games elsewhere. He's been a sensational clubman and if you look at any B&F or Charlie footage etc it's clear that the team is extremely fond of him. Probably a big part of the club culture behind the doors. Deserves a shot elsewhere.

So really...can't complain too much. I'm glad to see the back of Conca and C Ellis. Feel good about Miles and Lloyd getting another shot at some games. Feel nothing for Stengle. Just annoyed we couldn't trade out B Ellis and de-list Menadue...

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2018, 10:30:18 AM »
You do realise there's still a draft to come and also that players have to be paid within the cap and blokes need to be retained next year as well?

Pick 17 could still get us good a ready to go young mid, we should easily be able to find mature state leaguers who'll replicate CEllis, Miles & Lloyd's VFL numbers..or even DFA's like Barlow or Weller if need be.....just as we shouldn't have much trouble finding a ruckman who's better than Hamspud -who barely played in the last two years anyway-and who is an upgrade on Soldo...if not, well I expect big things from Chol, CCJ w/ useful relief from ther likes of Balta, Moore & Miller.... stop panicking.... :shh

Barlow has signed with Werribee

He can still change his mind if an AFL club comes callng - lke thar Downey(?) kid that signed with our VFL side then took up was drafted by Gold Coast a a couple of years back..... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2018, 11:38:19 AM »
You do realise there's still a draft to come and also that players have to be paid within the cap and blokes need to be retained next year as well?

Pick 17 could still get us good a ready to go young mid, we should easily be able to find mature state leaguers who'll replicate CEllis, Miles & Lloyd's VFL numbers..or even DFA's like Barlow or Weller if need be.....just as we shouldn't have much trouble finding a ruckman who's better than Hamspud -who barely played in the last two years anyway-and who is an upgrade on Soldo...if not, well I expect big things from Chol, CCJ w/ useful relief from ther likes of Balta, Moore & Miller.... stop panicking.... :shh

Barlow has signed with Werribee

He can still change his mind if an AFL club comes callng - lke thar Downey(?) kid that signed with our VFL side then took up was drafted by Gold Coast a a couple of years back..... :shh

Yep, Tyrone Downie

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2018, 05:19:10 PM »
From Barrett's 'Sliding Doors' column:

RICHMOND

IF ... you ask us which team won Trade Period ...

THEN ... this one did. By the length of Winx's second Cox Plate victory. 

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-19/sliding-doors-trade-period-week-two

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2018, 10:23:14 PM »
Finished early

Tigers' work was done well before the trade period, targeting Tom Lynch and getting their man. The prelim final showed up our lack of talls and Lynch is a gun tall forward. The players going out were not best 22 and the Tigers are developing their youth, so this will create opportunity the way it did for Dan Butler and Jason Castagna in 2017.
- Tony De Glas, Sinnamon Park Qld

Smart and ruthless

Got the best player available and managed to move along players that aren't going to play a role in our next flag, but moved them on to other opportunities. Smart and ruthless at the same time.
- Des Hutchinson, Hamilton Hill WA

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-20/your-2018-trade-verdicts-hawthornwestern-bulldogs

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2018, 11:21:38 PM »
Finished early

Tigers' work was done well before the trade period, targeting Tom Lynch and getting their man. The prelim final showed up our lack of talls and Lynch is a gun tall forward. The players going out were not best 22 and the Tigers are developing their youth, so this will create opportunity the way it did for Dan Butler and Jason Castagna in 2017.
- Tony De Glas, Sinnamon Park Qld

Smart and ruthless

Got the best player available and managed to move along players that aren't going to play a role in our next flag, but moved them on to other opportunities. Smart and ruthless at the same time.
- Des Hutchinson, Hamilton Hill WA

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-20/your-2018-trade-verdicts-hawthornwestern-bulldogs
Moving along players that are not “best 22” is hardly ruthless.

All those players wanted out due to lack of opportunity. That is not being ruthless, not even close.

Hawthorn on the other hand..... do it every year

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2018, 01:24:35 PM »
GARY BUCKENARA SAYS: The Tigers weren’t big players but got the biggest name of free agency — Tom Lynch. He and Jack Riewoldt will form a really dangerous partnership that will cause headaches for coaches across the competition. He’s a huge pick-up. Depth players Conca, Miles, Lloyd and Stengle have left but the addition of Lynch far outweighs their loss. Richmond has improved its list.

GRADE:
A

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/expert-recruiter-and-list-guru-gary-buckenara-rates-every-clubs-afl-trade-and-free-agency-period/news-story/f6afd1f69194d51d9f88e16cd95f1fd5

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2018, 06:39:10 PM »
I have now heard that Scully's injury is much worse than described. Probably good that we didn't bite.  :shh
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2018, 06:57:36 PM »
I have now heard that Scully's injury is much worse than described. Probably good that we didn't bite.  :shh

details or dont post speculation and innuendo
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2018, 07:08:43 PM »

What sort of details do you want? It's not speculation. It's fact. I think it's obvious as a former number one pick and gut running machine went for a packet of chips.... :shh
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2018, 07:58:14 PM »

Who died and left you in charge?

:wallywink

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2018, 12:00:18 PM »
Plough's Trade Grades - Richmond

By SEN
23 Oct 2018

Terry Wallace has run the rule over every club and their dealings during the NAB AFL Trade Period.

AFL Hall of Famer Plough, aka The List Manager, has given a school-style rating to each of the 18 clubs as well as his assessment ahead of the 2019 AFL season.

How did your club perform in October, according to Plough?

Richmond

IN
Tom Lynch
Pick 64
Pick 68
2019 3rd-round pick

OUT
Reece Conca
Corey Ellis
Sam Lloyd
Anthony Miles
Tyson Stengle
2019 3rd-round pick

Plough's Trade Grade
A

Plough's assessment
"Picked up the best player available in this trade and free agency period and only lost fringe players."

Club reaction
"Tom (Lynch) is clearly a talented footballer, but he also has great leadership qualities and a strong work ethic. I, like many of our fans, look forward to seeing Tom in yellow and black." – Neil Balme, GM of Football.

2018 draft picks
17, 37, 64, 68, 74, 92

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/10/22/ploughs-trade-grades-richmond/

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2018, 03:05:27 PM »

Who died and left you in charge?

:wallywink

:lol
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2018, 07:48:16 PM »
I felt we should have tried to get a pick in the 40s and drop our 2 picks in the 60s 7/10 for me

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2018, 08:57:47 PM »
Saving a few moves for draft night.... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.