Author Topic: Tiger great Dale Weightman reveals challenging health battle (Herald-Sun)  (Read 459 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers great reveals challenging health battle

PETER ROLFE,
Herald Sun
November 15, 2018

Richmond great Dale Weightman has spoken of his battle with health issues in a bid to get Victorians to get a check up and look after themselves.

The Tigers premiership star revealed he had endured a challenging journey with heart issues and been forced to deal with diabetes since his playing days.

But, with a long family history of heart disease and diabetes, he said diet and awareness had helped him live a fulfilling life.

“I had two stents put in my heart around ten years ago as one artery was blocked and I have had no problems since,’’ he said.

“My grandfather died in his 40s of a heart attack while playing a social game of football.

“My mum was just a teenager when he passed away.”

He has teamed with the Baker Institute in the hope of inspiring others with diabetes to attend a free seminar in Melbourne tonight to learn hints for a healthy life.

Weightman was diagnosed with type one diabetes during his playing career but reached his greatest heights on the field after learning how best to deal with the condition.

“Of course it is a lot easier now for players at AFL level who have diabetes, the clubs are all over it,” Weightman said.

“Having diabetes is far from the end of the world.”

Having diabetes raises your risk of heart disease, stroke, kidney disease and other health problems.

— Diabetes Connect, an evening to discuss education, prevention and living with diabetes, will be held from 6pm at the Baker Institute, 75 Commercial Road, tonight.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/richmond-legend-dale-weightman-reveals-challenging-health-battle/news-story/8639e69366da49665ec97873202318b4