Author Topic: Riley Collier-Dawkins [merged]  (Read 63802 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Riley Collier-Dawkins [merged]
« Reply #90 on: February 20, 2020, 03:23:21 PM »
The Richmond midfielder who could be a “big, big mover” this year

By Andrew Slevison
SEN
20 Feb 2020

Richmond’s midfield could bat even deeper in 2020 with the presence of talented youngster Riley Collier-Dawkins.

Tigers coach Damien Hardwick told AFL.com.au this week that the 20-year-old had put on around 7kgs as he eyes a spot in the midfield of the reigning premiers.

Collier-Dawkins has bulked up after his debut season with the club, which saw him impress at VFL level in a premiership year, and his off-season work is creating plenty of excitement.

Melbourne great Garry Lyon expects the no.20 draft pick to slot straight into a prominent midfield position where he could replace departed two-time flag winner Brandon Ellis on a wing.

“Mark my words,” Lyon said on SEN Breakfast.

“You talk about Ellis leaving, this bloke steps in. This kid in the (VFL) finals was just so exciting.

“I don’t know this to be true but if he has grown and he’s 191 (cm) and he’s put 7 kegs (kilos) onto his frame, put Riley Collier-Dawkins down as one of the big, big movers.”

Additionally, Fox Footy’s Tom Morris reported from Richmond’s intra-club scratch match at Punt Road that Collier-Dawkins “looks seriously good”.

AFL Media's Mitch Cleary was also on hand to see the Tigers play and described the Waverley Blues and Oakleigh Chargers product as “prolific in midfield” alongside fellow promising youngster Jack Ross.

Collier-Dawkins will be in action for the Tigers in their Marsh Community Series opener against Collingwood in Wangaratta on Sunday, March 1.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/02/20/the-richmond-midfielder-who-could-be-a-big-big-mover-this-year/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #91 on: March 02, 2020, 04:41:04 AM »
'I spat the dummy': Summer of reflection helps 'reinvent' untried Tiger

By Jennifer Phelan
afl.com.au
1 March 2020

RILEY Collier-Dawkins used to keep a whiteboard in his room where he'd list goals, both short- and long-term, while on his journey to an AFL club.

Making the Oakleigh Chargers list. Tick. Hold his spot in the team. Tick.

Make the Vic Metro squad. Play well. Get drafted. Tick, tick, tick.

So, when he didn't make his AFL debut last year after being recruited as a big-bodied midfielder by Richmond at pick No.20 overall in the 2018 NAB AFL Draft, the absence of a tick next to that goal was glaring.

Especially when 15 of the 19 players drafted before him, and four of the next nine after him, debuted in their first season in the system.

"I did expect to play," Collier-Dawkins told AFL.com.au this week.

"I think most players when they get drafted imagine themselves playing.

"I definitely set high internal expectations for myself and I thought I was almost there a few times.

"The bad thing was I was thinking that because I didn't reach my goal, the rest I had were unreachable."

His frustrations peaked after round 12.

The 20-year-old was named emergency for the fifth time, without playing.

The following week, he wasn't on the team sheet at all.

He went back to the VFL, hurt that his debut had seemed so close and had now drifted to what he perceived as even further away.

"I probably drained myself thinking about it," he said.

"I took it pretty tough, more than I should have. I wasn't seeking advice on how to cope with it and I made it so much worse than it was.

"I sort of spat the dummy internally. I just thought it wasn't going to happen."

His mindset allowed complacency to sneak into his preparation.

If he was playing in the VFL, he'd arrive at the club 15 minutes before training, and had little interest in doing all the little things that players do to get the fittest version of themselves on the field.

"I'd get changed, do the meeting, and sort of go through the motions of it all," he said.

"I was doing myself a disservice. I knew I wasn't getting the best out of myself.

"People can warn you about how you'll feel when you have a form slump but you don't understand until you've been through it.

"Being so close had got the better of me … in hindsight, I should have reached out a little bit more."

But as the season wore on and spring approached, he started to find the light again.

Training got better. He worked with Trent Cotchin and Dustin Martin, who he claims "inspire excellence" in those around them.

He still didn't debut, but his two goals in the Tigers' VFL premiership win was his best game for the season.

"It was a turning point. One of the reasons was because I had a pretty good idea I wasn't going to play in the AFL Grand Final," he said.

"I was playing without fear of stuffing up. I played on instinct, and that's the approach I'm going to take this year."

While his teammates spread far and wide to celebrate the pair of premierships, Collier-Dawkins stayed close to home.

He wanted help his parents, Jacinta and Chris, move houses, and was keen to keep things simple with low-key catch-ups with friends.

He also wanted to start pre-season training in the best shape possible, which led to a strict eating regime that saw him strip six kilos from his frame.

A typical day started with an egg white omelette, and ended with a small steak and Caesar salad, with very little in between and very few carbohydrates.

For a teenager who two years ago went through such a growth spurt he wasn't immune to 2am drive-through takeaway pilgrimages, it was a tough way to shed what he called "puppy fat".

"It was more self-reflection than anything, what I could do better to give myself the best chance of attacking this year and playing senior footy," he said.

"It probably was a bit unreasonable, but I had to chop and change. The whole philosophy was right, I just had to get some science and logic behind it all."

When pre-season started, comments were made about Collier-Dawkin's trimmed frame, which looked even leaner without the mass of hair and required headband he wore late in the season.

Then, it was all about building him back up again – the right way.

He replaced the weight with a combination of muscle and fat, which took time to adjust to after he became a running machine in the off-season.

While he isn't as mobile as he was at his lightest, he's developed a power in his running that shaved 15 seconds off his 3km time trial result over summer.

"Last year, there were times where getting from contest to contest was just so tough," he said.

"I honestly feel just reinvented.

"I just feel so fit and it's not the ceiling yet but it's amazing to look where I was a year ago to where I am now, it's pretty surreal."

As for his mindset, he knows now that if things get tough again this year, he won't carry the burden on his own.

He's determined to approach each VFL game he plays as if it's an AFL one, although he's excited by the opportunity to break into Richmond's best 22, with the field to shift following Brandon Ellis' departure.

And he's not going to look at his AFL debut as the be-all and end-all, which is where he came undone in 2019.

"I've binned the whiteboard," he said.

"I've got some anchors I go back to, some words, some photos and quotes on a little cork board … it's just a much more level-headed approach.

"I've got to make sure I'm doing everything right, that I'm doing my vision, my stretching, getting my body right so that I can let myself do what I do best out there and if I do, that's awesome and I've earned it.

"I'm just going to focus on what I can do and if that means I play round one that's awesome, if it's round two or three, so be it.

"Although at the time I was disappointed and unsettled that I wasn't playing, I think I'll be a better player now because of it."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/379682/-i-spat-the-dummy-summer-of-reflection-helps-reinvent-untried-tiger

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #92 on: March 02, 2020, 12:47:32 PM »
If yesterday's effort was anything to go by, you've still got a fair wait in front of you son......:shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #93 on: March 02, 2020, 01:12:06 PM »
RCD was ordinary yesterday.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2020, 01:12:36 PM »
Can’t find the footy.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #95 on: May 25, 2020, 03:03:37 PM »
RCD has shaved off the locks.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #96 on: July 29, 2020, 10:55:13 PM »
If this kid can’t get a game in these circumstances I don’t know if he ever will.

If he does let’s hope we see some of what we saw in the vfl premiership win. Let’s hope the opportunity comes and shows us what he’s made of.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #97 on: July 29, 2020, 11:16:21 PM »
Is there a knock on this kid or what?

Filling out a bit? No endurance?

If he's a dud I get it, otherwise I want to see him have a go.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2020, 11:21:51 PM »
Early days he wasn't getting near it...now he gets it but can't get rid of it...so I guess that's progress...hopefully just a slow burner....has all the attributes, just needs to start putting them together....  :shh

- Gustav Mahler

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #99 on: July 29, 2020, 11:25:51 PM »
Looked the goods at the end of last year and my uncle teaches at his school, said he's a ripper kid as well.

Hope it's slow burn!

Glad to have Cotch back but we really need some big bodies in that midfield.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #100 on: July 30, 2020, 08:23:02 AM »
TALENTED TIGER “VERY, VERY CLOSE” TO SENIOR DEBUT
BY SEN 18 HOURS AGO

Richmond youngster Riley Collier-Dawkins has had to bide his time since arriving at Punt Road.

Selected with the 20th overall pick in the 2018 draft, Collier-Dawkins honed his skills in the VFL last season as the Tigers claimed a second AFL premiership in three years.

But with the reigning premiers set to play four games in 18 days and coaches likely to rotate their players, 20-year-old Collier-Dawkins could make his senior debut in the coming weeks.

“He’s in the broader squad this week and he’s very, very close (to debuting),” Richmond spearhead Jack Riewoldt told SEN’s Tiger Time.

“He’s a big young lad that I suppose is that modern prototype of a midfielder.

“He’s just going to take some time, but I’ve got no doubt with this sort of fixturing over the next three weeks, plus the games to come after that, that Riley will get his chance.

“He’s got some very good qualities. He’s going to be a very good bull for us going forward.

“Exciting times, plenty of new faces to see over the next three weeks.”

Richmond take on the sixth-placed Western Bulldogs at Metricon Stadium on Wednesday night.

A win would move the ninth-placed Tigers into the top eight.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/07/29/talented-tiger-very-very-close-to-senior-debut/
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #101 on: July 30, 2020, 12:19:50 PM »
TALENTED TIGER “VERY, VERY CLOSE” TO SENIOR DEBUT

- Gustav Mahler

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #102 on: August 09, 2020, 09:57:09 PM »
Obviously isn’t ticking the boxes the coaching staff want.

Maybe he’s another C.Ellis although Ellis was able to play 6 games in his debut year and 11 in his second season.

It doesn’t look like it’s going to happen for him this year as opportunities will diminish once all our senior players return.

Shame I was keen to see him play.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #103 on: August 12, 2020, 09:26:39 PM »
From Xavier Clarke coaches corner

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/793905/coaches-corner-clarke-on-development?videoId=793905&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1597207084001

“played two of the scratch matches, the weekend was probably a good one for him.  Played a little bit forward actually, trying to balance everyone in their positions (combined team with other clubs) a different look as a forward but then going on ball, I thought he had a really good impact around that part of the game. We know he is a big bodied midfielder for us and we want to see him crash packs and then win the ball and he’s been able to do that in patches but he’s been playing ok footy at the moment Riley and he will continue to develop in that space.” 

I’m not sure that sounded like a huge note of confidence in his output to date.
Sound like he doesn’t find the ball enough or impact enough. 

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #104 on: August 12, 2020, 09:56:51 PM »
Still learning to play our way. Exceptionally difficult circumstances being a young player learning a certain style with essentially no reserve competition. No rush for him this year... next year should present opportunities.