Author Topic: Jack Ross [merged]  (Read 84317 times)

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Jack Ross [merged]
« Reply #375 on: January 11, 2023, 09:17:54 AM »
Very solid player & still improving. Wonder where he can get to?

B grader at best and a long way down the midfield pecking order

Time will tell on that front.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #376 on: January 11, 2023, 09:34:31 AM »

Agreed

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #377 on: January 11, 2023, 02:09:35 PM »
It's interesting I was watching a couple of H&A games from the 2020 season the other day.

Granted I don't rate him that much but I can honestly say the 2020 version wasn't much different to the version we saw in the majority of his games in 2022. I reckon that's his biggest issue ...slow improvement, if any improvement at all
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #378 on: January 11, 2023, 02:22:56 PM »
It's interesting I was watching a couple of H&A games from the 2020 season the other day.

Granted I don't rate him that much but I can honestly say the 2020 version wasn't much different to the version we saw in the majority of his games in 2022. I reckon that's his biggest issue ...slow improvement, if any improvement at all

Maybe stat's back it up not sure , but I thought he was much better in 2022 stayed involved in games and contributed .Alot of it to do with being put in his correct position.

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #379 on: January 11, 2023, 04:23:39 PM »

Maybe stat's back it up not sure , but I thought he was much better in 2022 stayed involved in games and contributed .Alot of it to do with being put in his correct position.

Agree

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #380 on: January 11, 2023, 04:58:07 PM »
Might excel in a support as an in and under back up position, but will only get an opportunity due to injury

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #381 on: January 11, 2023, 08:01:05 PM »

I don’t know about being a long way down the pecking order. I don’t have him best 22 but of those outside of that it’s really graham (who I have as 23rd man) and then Ross. Given cotch will likely be rested frequently and the injury proness Prestia has shown in the past (knockwood that changes this year), I can still see Ross getting plenty of games.

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #382 on: January 11, 2023, 08:28:50 PM »

I don’t know about being a long way down the pecking order. I don’t have him best 22 but of those outside of that it’s really graham (who I have as 23rd man) and then Ross. Given cotch will likely be rested frequently and the injury proness Prestia has shown in the past (knockwood that changes this year), I can still see Ross getting plenty of games.

Ross and Graham will both get plenty of games
As an inside mid he’s still below many

Prestia
Cotchin
Taranto
Hopper
Dusty in spurts

I’m sure there is more I’m not thinking of off the top of my head

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #383 on: January 11, 2023, 09:14:09 PM »

Ross and Graham will both get plenty of games
As an inside mid he’s still below many

Prestia
Cotchin
Taranto
Hopper
Dusty in spurts

I’m sure there is more I’m not thinking of off the top of my head

Yup and add:
Bolton in spurts
Sonsie &
Baker/Short (one of them will be part of the midfield rotation)

Thing is they are all best 22 (maybe sonsie in his second year will go through downturns in form here and there) so it only takes 1-2 injuries/suspensions/restings for Ross to enter the fray.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #384 on: January 11, 2023, 09:43:42 PM »

Completely disagree. Actually cannot believe you posted that.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #385 on: January 15, 2023, 01:51:27 PM »

Yep spot on imo. His 7 games in his first season were probably better than last year if anything.It was those early games that had supporters optimistic about his future. I know this will sound like im just bringing up stats but they do back up what is being said.

The biggest proviso i would put in here is he only turned 22 in September and like others i don't see the point in playing him out of position a lot of  the time.

The other thing is even with Taranto and Hopper we don't have a lot of big medium sized mids.  If one of them or Cotchin went down then he probably should be the one looked at.
We did lose some big so called mids at the end of the season Caddy RC-D and Martyn while they did not play much afl footy they were literally the only big mids we had in reserve.I suppose we bought in two who will play every game if fit and lost three who were not up to it players Ross was getting games in front of now he went down the pecking order another two spots.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #386 on: January 16, 2023, 09:35:59 AM »
Just on his stats

His first 7 games in 2019 were good with ave 17 disposals
2020 was down but that was the COVID reduced season so can expect that
2021 was when they were training him on the wing. 15 recorded games but 4 were as sub that he didn't get on the ground. He had 3 other games as sub when he got on late. Recorded two 20+ disposal games late in the season so progression was there.
2022 he recorded 15 games but 1 was as non playing sub and another he got on mid game against West Coast. 2022 was his best year with stats. Recorded 8 games with 19+ disposals.

Has played 44 games so this year and next is his time to take the step forward. Worse case he is a serviceable fill in.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #387 on: January 16, 2023, 01:48:54 PM »
Have to remember that his last few games were against good opposition and he was really good. Definitely the best I'd ever seen him play, stats or no stats.
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #388 on: January 16, 2023, 04:55:14 PM »
Have to remember that his last few games were against good opposition and he was really good. Definitely the best I'd ever seen him play, stats or no stats.

Was very good vs Cats when Prestia went off and I thought in our best half dozen in the final. I was a doubter until season 2022 but feel like he offers great depth to that midfield - particularly if there’s an injury and can replace Cotchin in 2023
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Broadsword

« Reply #389 on: January 16, 2023, 05:15:57 PM »
He showed something in the back end of last year--including the final--that he hasn't shown before.

If you didn't see it then I'm sorry for you. But he's not he same player he was 3 years ago.