Author Topic: Sydney Stack [merged]  (Read 201299 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Sydney Stack [merged]
« Reply #225 on: April 29, 2019, 08:00:14 PM »
Seismic Sydney Stack bump forces Jack Viney onto the sidelines with shoulder injury.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/afl/news/sydney-stack-bump-jack-viney-injury-richmond-melbourne/hdxzc2em8yev1r1k2297o9yxk

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #226 on: April 30, 2019, 12:25:08 PM »
Vote for Stack for this week's Mark of the Week: https://markoftheyear.afl/vote/round/6

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #227 on: May 01, 2019, 04:17:01 PM »
The AFL’s best-ever No. 170 recruit

Michelangelo Rucci,
Sports Editor At Large,
The Advertiser
1 May 2019

EVERY year there is a player who defies - if not makes a mockery - of the notion the best prospects in the AFL draft are called early.

Port Adelaide defender Dan Houston is now a first-choice player at Alberton. He was claimed by the Power at No. 45 in the 2016 rookie draft - among the last 21 offered a place in the AFL that year.

The rookie draft has for some time proven the dream of every AFL recruiting manager - that 10-year, 200-game veteran - need not be a first-round or second-round national draftee. Adelaide’s honour board has three rookie draftees in the 200 Club - Michael Doughty (231 matches), Ben Rutten (229) and Nathan Bassett (210, after being rookie listed by Melbourne). And there is club champion and two-time All-Australian Rory Laird (127) to come to this parade.

But for all the great success stories outside the AFL national draft there is one “diamond from the rough” this season that goes beyond even the rookie draft.

Sydney Stack at Richmond.

The West Australian teenager was not called in the AFL national draft that closed at call No. 78 (with the Western Bulldogs signing Will Hayes).

He was not claimed in the pre-season draft (in which all clubs were idle).

He was not wanted in the rookie draft that filled another 65 spots on AFL lists.

After 163 places were filled across the 18 team lists by Christmas - 78 in the national draft, 15 with rookie-list elevations, 65 with rookie draft calls and five with special-assistance picks for Gold Coast and Carlton - Stack remained on the outer.

It was not until February 11 that Stack had his AFL dream fulfilled by being added to Richmond’s rookie list with the new pre-season supplementary recruiting rules. And even then he was the Tigers’ second pick in this system after former Gold Coast and St Kilda midfielder-forward Maverick Weller was given a lifeline at Punt Road.

After just four AFL games, Stack is a cult hero at Richmond with Tigers premiership coach Damien Hardwick noting his club’s fans are ready to build a statue to honour the teenager.

And he surely, on form, will become a Rising Star contender. Quite impressive for the 170th pick to enter the AFL this season.

In the lead-up to the AFL national draft in November, Stack’s under-18 state coach, West Coast premiership hero Peter Sumich, told AFL recruiting managers they would regret ignoring Stack’s undeniable talent when sorting their options.

They were “spooked” - and now they are haunted by opportunity missed.

“The recruiters had a lot of question marks on his off-field demeanour,” Sumich recalls.

“It wasn’t so much going out drinking or anything like that, it was more rocking up to training.

“The kid’s done it hard, really hard. I felt for him throughout his younger age - no parents, he lived in probably four or five different homes over the last two or three years because he never had a settled home, he struggled to get to training a lot of the time.”

When Stacked missed training before a national championship match before SA, Sumich banned him.

“The kid nearly got down on his knees and was begging me to play him; he was crying,” Sumich said. “I didn’t play Sydney so he would realise that you’ve got to do the right thing ... or the AFL system will eat you up.”

Stack did take note, correcting his way to become an All-Australian under-18 ... but not a national draftee nor a rookie draftee. He certainly will be the best player ever taken at No. 170.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/expert-opinion/michelangelo-rucci/sydney-stack-is-a-richmond-cult-hero-perhaps-a-rising-star-contender-and-certainly-a-reminder-to-never-ignore-talent-in-afl-recruiting/news-story/298278f474dd6f90af4e87ba9beb9775

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #228 on: May 04, 2019, 10:43:20 PM »
The AFL website gave Stack best on ground for us.

19 disposals (8k, 11h, 7c, 12u, 90% eff.)
7 marks
4 tackles
2 one%ers
3 inside F50s
1 goal
2 assists
1 clanger.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #229 on: May 04, 2019, 11:17:48 PM »
Stack didn’t get injured in the last did he?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #230 on: May 04, 2019, 11:27:41 PM »
A bright light in an otherwise bleak, dismal night

A few senior blokes could learn a lot of this kid
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #231 on: May 05, 2019, 04:42:50 AM »
STACKS OF TALENT

HE caught the attention of the football world with a bone-crunching bump on Jack Viney on Anzac Eve and Richmond’s Sydney Stack produced another eye-catching performance against the Bulldogs — complete with another nice bump on Bulldog Caleb Daniel.

In just his fifth AFL game, Stack was the equal-third ranked player on the ground with 14 disposals and 72 SuperCoach points at halftime.

He went on to kick a booming goal in the third term and finish with 19 touches.

A Rising Star nomination can’t be far away.

Source: Herald-Sun

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #232 on: May 10, 2019, 04:30:57 PM »
So far in his 5 game career Sydney Stack averages the following per game:

16.2 disposals
5.6 marks
3 tackles
5.6 contested possessions
10.4 uncontested possessions
87.7% disposal efficiency

https://twitter.com/BFtigercast/status/1126334673150365698

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #233 on: May 10, 2019, 06:34:11 PM »
So far in his 5 game career Sydney Stack averages the following per game:

16.2 disposals
5.6 marks
3 tackles
5.6 contested possessions
10.4 uncontested possessions
87.7% disposal efficiency

https://twitter.com/BFtigercast/status/1126334673150365698
He is one player that stats don’t tell the entire story.
Absolute champion this kid.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #234 on: May 11, 2019, 09:35:25 PM »
he is as clean and uses the ball both sides as well as anyone on the list.I hope we dont pencil him in as a permanent defenderthis kid should be being groomed to play mid field.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #235 on: May 11, 2019, 10:20:36 PM »
he is as clean and uses the ball both sides as well as anyone on the list.I hope we dont pencil him in as a permanent defenderthis kid should be being groomed to play mid field.

Agreed
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Dont Argue

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #236 on: May 11, 2019, 10:39:29 PM »

HBF is one of the most important positions on the field in modern football to springboard attack.
Not sure why everyone’s in such a hurry to move a future AA defender into the middle as if it’s waisting his talent? Maybe Rory Laird should move there too?

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #237 on: May 12, 2019, 07:08:53 AM »

HBF is one of the most important positions on the field in modern football to springboard attack.
Not sure why everyone’s in such a hurry to move a future AA defender into the middle as if it’s waisting his talent? Maybe Rory Laird should move there too?

He never said round 8
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #238 on: May 12, 2019, 01:52:19 PM »
Stack’s on! WA youngster ready to shine in homecoming

West Australian
12 May 2019

Sydney Stack will make a triumphant homecoming when he plays his first AFL game in his home State today.

Having been the last player added to Richmond’s list in February, the 19-year-old WA product will play his sixth straight game since making his debut in round three.

Stack’s Perth-based manager Paul Peos said there would be a yellow and black army at Optus Stadium to support him against Fremantle.

“There will be a grandstand full of Stacks by all accounts, so he will be pretty excited to come out and play in front his people. The club’s been pretty helpful and we’ve all come to the party to try and accommodate as many as we can,” Peos said.

“They spread far and wide and whilst most people are not in your everyday life, there’s a connection that exists and is pretty strong. I think a lot of those family members and friends understand Syd’s journey and feel that they really want to be part of it with him.”

Fellow West Aussie Tigers Shai Bolton (13th game) and Liam Baker (8th game) will also play back in Perth for the first time.

Stack’s cousin Phil Walley-Stack conducted a Welcome to Country ceremony for the Richmond players in the middle of Optus Stadium before they trained at the ground yesterday.

The crowd of several hundred Tigers fans at training included former West Coast captain Ben Cousins, who played his last 32 AFL games for the club.

Stack posted an Instagram photo alongside the 2005 Brownlow Medallist, with the caption ‘The greatest’ and a love-heart emoji.

Cousins was snapped boundary-side as the Tigers trained, accompanied by a child who had a stint kicking the ball with Dustin Martin. Cousins’ father Bryan was also at training.

Stack said he was excited to be back in Perth after he trained in front of friends and family.

“It’s good to be back at home, see the family and it’s Mother’s Day as well tomorrow so it should be great,” he said.

“The club is sensational the way they took me in and went about it. It’s a great environment. Great bunch of blokes to train with and play with.”

Under-18s coach Peter Sumich labelled Stack the most talented West Australian in last year’s draft before he was overlooked in both the national and rookie drafts due to off-field concerns.

The Tigers threw him a lifeline when he was invited to train with them over the summer while living with coach Damien Hardwick. Richmond then added the tough utility to the rookie list through the pre-season supplemental selection period in February.

Stack has slashed his skin fold measurements and found a niche in defence.

“I never had any doubt about his talent. Whether he was going to get an opportunity or not, I had plenty of doubt as the last couple of years unfolded,” Peos said.

“But I was pretty confident that once he got the opportunity that it would come together pretty well. It’s come together very quickly, I must admit. Some holes opened up and opportunity did land and I’m really pleased to see he has made the most of it.”

https://thewest.com.au/sport/richmond-tigers/stacks-on-wa-youngster-sydney-stack-ready-to-shine-in-homecoming-ng-b881196223z

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #239 on: May 12, 2019, 02:50:07 PM »

I’m with you on this one. I think Andrew McLeod and how much of a jet he was off half back. He can rotate through the midfield but someone as clean as Stack who doesn’t poo himself in the backline is hard to come by