Author Topic: Richmond vs Carlton @ the MCG, Round 1, 2019  (Read 14428 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond vs Carlton @ the MCG, Round 1, 2019
« on: December 11, 2018, 05:03:15 PM »
Only 100 days to go to the season opener :gotigers.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Richmond vs Carlton @ the MCG, Round 1, 2019
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 07:43:53 PM »
Less than two months out from a pivotal 2019 campaign that starts with an imposing round-one clash with Richmond, almost half of the players Bolton would realistically consider selecting in Carlton's strongest side are part of an extensive injury list.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-01-30/injury-blues-nearly-half-of-best-22-on-restricted-duties

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 02:17:23 PM »
Only one month (4 weeks) to go  :gotigers.

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 02:42:43 PM »
A champion team would bury Carlton but the AFL would frown on a 100 point thrashing in the opening game

Watch us give them an honorable loss.

I hope I am wrong.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 12:43:28 AM »
Why we should get excited about Round 1

SAM LANDSBERGER,
Herald Sun
25 Feb 2019

With the footy officially back in less than four weeks, SAM LANDSBERGER analyses what promises to be a blockbuster opening round.

CARLTON v RICHMOND

MCG, Thursday, March 21 7.20pm

Sam Walsh is certain to make his debut next to a match-up for the ages — Dustin Martin against Patrick Cripps. That clash will be worth the price of admission alone. Tom Lynch won’t step out during the pre-season but could still play in Round 1 if he shakes off knee soreness.

How will Walsh handle 80,000 watching him under the MCG’s bright lights? Are Charlie Curnow and Harry McKay ready to take the next step? And Riewoldt feared he might have “created a monster” by isolating the 195cm Cripps at full-forward in AFLX. Will the Blues be tempted to roll their skipper forward?

…ONE TO WATCH: How long will it take for Brendon Bolton to mention the “green shoots” in his post-match press conference?

TAB ODDS: Carlton $6.50, Richmond $1.12

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/sam-landsberger-dissects-every-round-1-game-and-reveals-why-we-should-get-excited/news-story/3588a96023b52edb96899b5c55d9c197

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Cripps, Dusty primed for epic Round 1 showdown (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 12:46:54 AM »
Cripps, Dusty primed for epic showdown

JON RALPH,
Herald Sun
February 25, 2019

Alex Rance has tipped an explosive Round 1 match-up between Dustin Martin and Patrick Cripps after witnessing the Carlton star’s heroics up close on Friday night.

Richmond goes into the MCG clash in 24 days hoping to win its seventh straight Round 1 clash against the Blues.

But a Carlton side with as many as six new faces will also feature the brilliant Cripps, who amassed 36 possessions, 25 contested possessions and nine clearances in Round 1 last year.

Tiger Jack Riewoldt joked he had “created a monster” when pushing Cripps forward in his side’s AFLX tournament victory, as the 195cm onballer led all scorers.

But Rance can’t wait for the mouth-watering midfield clash between two of the most ferocious ball-winners in the AFL as the league’s new 6-6-6 rule adds intensity to centre bounces.

“Watching and running into ‘Cripper’ a few times (on Friday night), I love that match-up,” Rance said.

“He is scary good, Dusty. I wish I had half the talent he had. It’s two rhinos going at it, smashing horns.”

Martin had just six kicks in Richmond’s preliminary final loss last year, his lowest output in his past 117 games, but he is in sparkling touch this pre-season.

The Tigers say Martin is brimming with motivation and stepping up his leadership in his 10th season.

“He’s not the type to be dwelling on too much. He knows he is a star,” full-back Rance said.

“You don’t win Brownlows and premierships off the back of being an also-(ran), so he knows what he brings,” Rance said.

Richmond’s star recruit Tom Lynch will be touch and go for Round 1.

But Rance said strong-bodied inside midfielder Jack Ross was a chance to make his debut after being taken at pick 43 last year.

“Jack Ross is a really neat player. He could be around the mark,’’ he said.

Richmond has been able to bank a Round 1 win for the past six seasons. But last year the Blues jumped the then premier and led 5.0 to a point after 11 minutes before being pegged back.

Rance has watched Carlton’s list build with interest, aware that Mitch McGovern’s recruitment adds another dynamic to its forward line after Charlie Curnow kicked five Round 1 goals last year.

“Time will tell with (McGovern, Curnow and Harry McKay), knowing when to go and when to lengthen the ground and when to hitup,” Rance said.

“Last year we saw equalisation is starting to work. Brisbane are coming up and challenging, and Carlton will be one of those teams that will do the same.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/patrick-cripps-and-dustin-martin-are-primed-for-round-1-showdown/news-story/5ba63a6b92f1dd2f116d6b384d125c17

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 08:45:40 AM »
Despite what the odds suggest, I suspect this is a danger game for us.

They have the makings of a very good midfield and dangerous forward line. And with the possible change in our tactics ahead of the 6-6-6 rule and possibly different dynamic in the forward line, who knows......

Online pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 09:49:41 AM »

They have the makings of a very good midfield and dangerous forward line. And with the possible change in our tactics ahead of the 6-6-6 rule and possibly different dynamic in the forward line, who knows......

Every game is a danger game in the AFL but I think we go out there with a point to prove this year. Got a feeling we will make a statement against the Blues.

Offline Dont Argue

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 10:03:45 AM »

Every game is a danger game in the AFL but I think we go out there with a point to prove this year. Got a feeling we will make a statement against the Blues.

As long as the umpires don't gift them 5 goals like last year's season opener.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 11:27:43 AM »

As long as the umpires don't gift them 5 goals like last year's season opener.
That was an absolute disgrace.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 10:25:12 PM »
Blaming umpires is a waste of time.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2019, 11:27:48 PM »
Blaming umpires is a waste of time.
True, but it was still an absolute disgrace. :shh
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2019, 12:14:44 AM »
I look at the games some of their kids who have been arond for 2 -4 seasons and just improvement there will make them a tougher propisition than last yr.

All teams do the hard yards getting those games into players and enough preseasons behind them i reck they are ready to climb how far well your guess is as good as mine but if they stay healthy they wont be easy beats.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2019, 08:29:35 PM »
Ohhh yes, absolutely. Let's pray they beat us so we can login 2 minutes after the game and we can just belt everybody :shh
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Online lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2019, 09:06:03 PM »
I hope Rance absolutely towels up Curnow so we can hear bat poo crazy reasons as to why it was an aberration and Curnow is actually not far off from being the next john coleman