Author Topic: Malthouse: ‘Ordinary’ Tigers a shadow of flag champions (Herald-Sun)  (Read 1971 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Malthouse: ‘Ordinary’ Tigers a shadow of flag champions

MICK MALTHOUSE,
Sunday Herald Sun
12 May 2019

What has happened to Richmond? It’s a question without a straight answer.

Perhaps by comparing it to another struggling club, Hawthorn, we may get a clearer picture.

The Tigers are ninth with four wins heading into Round 8. The Hawks are 13th with three wins. But right now there is more upside to Hawthorn’s season than Richmond’s.

Cracks have appeared in each club’s armour and it is what the cracks are exposing that could make all the difference by season’s end.

It all comes down to leadership.

Richmond is without its captain Trent Cotchin, who knits the midfield together; heart-and-soul leader Alex Rance, who holds up the backline; and experienced goalkicker Jack Riewoldt, who guides his younger forwards.

Without these three players there seems to be a lack of on-field direction. And if no one is leading, no one is following, with very few contributing.

Leadership is about consistency. Leadership is about direction. It’s about bravery, and not accepting the result when you are down.

Aside from Toby Nankervis, with a heart as big as Phar Lap, and Nick Vlastuin, who has tried to replace Rance but has had his own injury worries, no one has really stood up and taken on this role at the Tigers in the absence of the “Big Three”.

Dustin Martin is getting marked each week and he isn’t handling it. He is responding to the tagger instead of focusing on the game. His greatness was his work ethic, but that is now lacking. He is being out run, out worked and out positioned. He is no longer a real threat out of the goalsquare, nor is he getting 30-plus possessions and hitting the target every time in the midfield.

Boom recruit Tom Lynch will get better, but he isn’t getting the supply on his terms. He will need to adjust soon.

Where are Jack Higgins, Dan Butler, Shai Bolton, Jason Castagna and Daniel Rioli? None of them are standing up and hitting the scoreboard often enough.

Vlastuin’s absence through injury will place even greater pressure on the yellow and black.

Richmond is a shadow of its former self. Without the standard and attitude of greatness being set by the missing leaders, the Tigers suddenly seem ordinary.

Teammates are no longer getting the best out of each other and we are suddenly wondering if they are as good as we thought they were, because back to basics, their structure and strategies aren’t holding up.

Hawthorn is also having a patchy season, but the fundamental difference between these two clubs is that Hawks captain Ben Stratton and spiritual leader Jarryd Roughead can’t be faulted for effort or guidance.

The Hawks dropped Roughead for Sunday’s game in what was the shock selection move of the round. They must have confidence in others to take his place.

Losing Tom Mitchell has left a massive hole for Hawthorn to fill, but the Hawks don’t complain about injuries. Liam Shiels, James Worpel, Jaeger O’Meara and Jarman Impey have all been a silver lining in Mitchell’s absence.

Ben McEvoy, like Nankervis, doesn’t stop trying.

That effort has a follow-on affect throughout the team, with many contributors willing to put themselves through pain in the pursuit of victory.

There is a price to pay in winning and it goes hand-in-hand with hunger and work ethic — all attributes which Richmond seems to be lacking in big games.

Hawthorn’s biggest issue is that it is getting bogged down in its game structure, leaking like a sieve at times with teams scoring quickly against it, as the Bulldogs and Demons have proven.

The Hawks are persisting with a game plan that won them a three-peat of premierships. But with some of the same key players who made that work in 2013-15, the game plan is ageing like the players on their list, and they can’t control the ball the way they used to.

Chad Wingard offers so much, but has delivered little. And those who thought he could take Cyril Rioli’s place have been misguided, to date.

Jack Gunston, Luke Breust and Paul Puopolo are no longer producing consistently with this model. When they fire, Hawthorn has good movement and reward, but when they are held, it can’t score.

On Sunday, both clubs play important games for their season.

Richmond takes on a defensively reinvigorated Fremantle. The Tigers will need to score 12 or more goals to win this game, but the Dockers know how to let down the anchor on their opposition. This will be tough for the Tiges.

Hawthorn faces Greater Western Sydney at the MCG, which is the best place to get the Giants. But GWS is a running team, and it scores quickly, which will make life difficult for the Hawks.

Both teams will need to fight. They’ll need to rediscover the invincibility of their game structure and desire to win.

And most importantly, they’ll need leaders to contribute and set the standard. For this reason alone, Hawthorn is racing ahead. If the Tigers want to resurrect their season, they need to catch up. Now!

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/coaching-great-mick-malthouse-looks-at-the-challenges-facing-both-richmond-and-hawthorn/news-story/c293361391f654f3132586fb8dcf2e4d

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia

Hawthorn is also having a patchy season, but the fundamental difference between these two clubs is that Hawks captain Ben Stratton and spiritual leader Jarryd Roughead can’t be faulted for effort or guidance.

The other difference is that Roughead and Stratton are fit and playing.

WTF is this article about?
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Roughead couldn't be faulted so much that he was dropped...... :shh
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Salthouse, shytehouse  :shh :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
These are the same Hawthorn leaders that saw their side cough up a 5 goal lead at 3/4 time against the Dogs to lose and were kept goal-less in the last when being overrun by St Kilda :huh3. They also lost to a woeful Melbourne side in a game even Clarkson said was poor and were lucky to beat on their home turf in Tassie a Carlton side that doesn't know how to win.

Of course we are not at our premiership best due to our long injury list. It's nowhere near the same team for crying out aloud. Almost have that team is out of the side ... Der! Worst still we're continuing to get injuries on a weekly basis and being forced to chop and change our team every week which is affecting our cohesion. We just can't get any consistency because it's a different 22 every week.

Reading that article makes me think Micky only has watched us last week and against the Pies when we were clearly very poor in both games. The Hawks have only won 1 out of their past 4 games yet are "racing ahead" of a side that has won 3 of their past 4. What the ...! :huh3.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
I agreed with him.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
I agreed with him.
Good. Change your username to Hawkitis then to spin a spell on them!
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Roughead couldn't be faulted so much that he was dropped...... :shh

:lol
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Read the first sentence of that article and got bored

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
Bolton is not performing,... He has had 2 games ffs, mallthouse was is and always will be a knob jockey.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
I agreed with him.

I broke it into two parts. What he said about us i agree with.

what he said about the hawks i dont give a stuff, he could be right or wrong about them, either way i dont watch them enough to agree or disagree.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Read the first sentence of that article and got bored

yep, but i read it for poos and giggles.

dan butler, shai bolton where are they?? dan has played 3 games for 1 win, and bolton has played 3 games for 2 wins. agree about rioli and castagns years but we are one game off top 4, even if we lose to freo.

wtf is this old hack crapping on about.

facts are rfc sells papers and these fools need to stay relevant to keep their jobs

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
I’ll always remember Malthouse as a clapped out irrelevant fossil who went 3 years too long to win a coaching record.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Mick's article aged well  :laugh:.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd