Author Topic: Chaffey steps up on the comeback trail (RFC site)  (Read 532 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Chaffey steps up on the comeback trail (RFC site)
« on: April 03, 2006, 05:36:48 PM »
Chaffey steps up on the comeback trail
5:06:31 PM Mon 3 April, 2006
Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au

Experienced Richmond defender/tagger Mark Chaffey made a successful return to the playing field in a Coburg Tigers intra-club practice match last Friday afternoon at Punt Road.

It was the first game for Chaffey since Round 18 last season. The 28-year-old veteran of 160 games has been battling a bout of osteitis pubis since then, which has kept him on the sidelines and restricted his pre-season preparation.

“Mark played half a game and went really well, which was good to see,” said Richmond’s Football Operations Manager Paul Armstrong.

“He’s not yet ready to play at AFL level, but with another two or three games under his belt, he should be okay.”

Armstrong said several other Richmond-list players had performed impressively in the Coburg Tigers’ practice match.

“Brent Hartigan, who was probably unlucky to miss out on selection in the senior side for the opening round, played well, as did Will Thursfield, who has recovered from some injuries over the pre-season.

“Daniel Jackson again produced some good form up forward, and Tom Roach continued his solid pre-season showing.

The other one, who played a bit over a half a game, was Ray Hall and he did okay, so it looks like he’s on the mend as well.

“Cleve Hughes and Dean Limbach showed some promising signs, as did Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls, who was particularly good after half-time.

“So, there are quite a few players that, over the next 6-8 weeks, will be in contention to be elevated into the senior side.”

•   Meanwhile, Travis Ronaldson has been named as the Coburg Tigers captain for the 2006 season.

Ronaldson, who played for Tasmania last year is 22 years old, 196cm tall and weighs 98kg.

”I have followed Travis’ career closely for a few years now and I’ve tried to get him to play for me for a while,” said Coburg’s new coach Andy Collins.

“When Travis called and explained that he wanted to return to Melbourne and play for Coburg, I was delighted.”

It was decided this year that, rather than have vice-captains and deputy-captains, a leadership group would be formed at Coburg. This group comprises Travis, Eric Kuret, Vinnie Randello, Travis Jorgensen, Alister Neville and Paul Shelton.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=254566