Author Topic: Tough training is Tiger skipper's response  (Read 1359 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tough training is Tiger skipper's response
« on: April 02, 2006, 02:23:55 AM »
Tough training is Tiger skipper's response
By Samantha Lane and Lyall Johnson
The Age
April 2, 2006

RICHMOND'S skipper Kane Johnson thinks an old-fashioned belting on the training track this week would do his team good after its woeful beginning to the season, while coach Terry Wallace said he had put the players on notice that reputations would not be enough to keep them in the side.

The Tigers wasted no time looking for explanations for the 115-point opening-round battering it received from the Western Bulldogs, convening at Punt Road yesterday morning to conduct a full match review two days earlier than planned.

Post-match on Friday night, Wallace said he hadn't decided whether to dissect the game with his team, or to simply bin it, but after favouring the former option, the group promptly revisited the horror.

"They were angry and embarrassed," Tigers football manager Paul Armstrong said yesterday. "The coach made a few comments and so did the players, and you just start to develop your strategies for the following week."

Facing what he described as his biggest challenge as captain — after the first game in just his second season in the position — Johnson said he, vice-captain Nathan Brown and other senior players needed to lead from the front.

"We can't put our tails between our legs, we've got to be confident and have a real crack on the track this week.

"I think we've just got to get on the track and compete one-on-one, like go back to the old style of footy," he said.

"I don't know whether we get too scared of getting injuries and that on the on the track … but I reckon we've got to get back to that sort of thing. Once you can get that back into your game then everything else unfolds."

Johnson said that his side had shown a lack of toughness and capitulated too easily against the lightning-quick Dogs. The Tigers were clearly shell-shocked in the third term when their opponents drilled nine goals to one. "As soon as they got three (goals) in a row we just virtually poo ourselves, I reckon," Johnson said.

"We've just got to be tougher than that and lot of us have got to pull together, from me down. I've got to start it, Browny's got to start it, Richo's got to be there. Because if we don't do it, the young boys won't do it."

Wallace forecast blooding yet more youngsters to accelerate the rebuilding of the club at the expense of more experienced players should those senior regulars fail to "stand up and do the job".

"We have got to keep working and get the right personnel in the right positions," Wallace said on radio 3AW yesterday.

"At the Bulldogs we decided that we had a side we didn't believe could win the premiership at one stage and we started to rebuild. And that rebuilding took six, took about seven years … where it has come through to now.

"If the blokes who are in at the moment can't do it and put in that sort of performance we have just got to play young kids until they come through. Guys who may not be ready at the present time."

Johnson said the result was particularly disappointing after a positive pre-season. "We went into the game quite confident that we were ready," he said. "Obviously when it came to match day we just weren't up to it and we've got to go back to the drawing board, work hard on the track and really compete."

TIGERS' TURNAROUND?

Rd 1: lost Geelong 62 pts
Rd 2: d Hawthorn 14 pts
Rd 3: d W Bulldogs 4 pts
Rd 4: d Fremantle 48 pts

Rd 1: lost W Bulldogs 115 pts
Rd 2: v St Kilda (TD)
Rd 3: v West Coast (Subiaco)
Rd 4: v Brisbane Lions (Gabba)

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/04/01/1143441379900.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Tough training is Tiger skipper's response
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 02:25:22 AM »
Tiger shame has Kane on warpath
By JON RALPH
Herald-Sun
02apr06

RICHMOND skipper Kane Johnson says turning around the Tigers' fortunes within a week will be his biggest challenge as club captain so far.

Johnson has forecast a torrid week at training after conceding the Tigers "virtually s--- ourselves" when faced with sustained pressure from the Western Bulldogs at Telstra Dome on Friday night.
In a record-breaking win, the Bulldogs kicked their highest Round 1 score in history and their greatest winning margin over Richmond, as they piled on 16 goals to two after half-time.

Johnson was at a loss to explain the Tigers' capitulation, especially after the club's impressive practice match win over Sydney two weeks ago.

"It is (my biggest challenge) and that is a good challenge," he said.

"I am really looking forward to it and I wouldn't be a captain if you didn't have these sort of challenges.

"If I can get through this, I am going to grow and hopefully I can.

"As soon as (the Bulldogs) got three (goals) in a row we virtually s--- ourselves.

"We have just got to be tougher than that and a lot of us have got to pull together, from me down. I have got to start it, and 'Browny' (Nathan Brown), 'Richo' (Matthew Richardson) have got to be there, and if we don't do it the younger boys won't do it.

"These days I don't know whether we are scared about getting injuries out on the track, but I reckon we have got to get back to that sort of thing because once you can get that (hardness) everything else unfolds from there."

The one positive for Richmond was the performance of Brown, who made a solid comeback from a broken leg and finished with 18 possessions, two goal assists and two behinds from three shots at goal.

"For an injury like that, I thought he did very well," Johnson said.

"It's going to take him some time to get back to where he was, and if we expect him to play like he did at the start of last year we are kidding ourselves but he did his job."

Johnson expects a backlash from Tigers fans this week, but said his teammates must band together and weather any storm.

"It's going to be interesting to see how they go, they are a fickle lot, but we can't worry about them. If we worry about them we are going to be destroyed because they will probably be into us," he said.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,18679148%255E11088,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 04:13:44 AM »
I'm a fan of Sugar's but calling our supporters fickle was a poor effort. 25 years of crap yet almost 30,000 members and top 5 in attendances isn't fickle. Feral yes; fickle no!

The media will be troublemakers this week. Sugar shouldn't regurgitate their garbage. I heard Damien Barrett from the H-Sun on 774 yesterday and he was predicting the end of the world in regards to supporters, members, etc going nuts. Even brought up the 2004 election battle and whether Miller and Wallace have too much power and about March being an invisible president and facing civil action  ::). WTF has that got to do with last Friday night. Off field we're getting our house in order; it's on-field that we're still crap.

As for training harder this week - while I agree, the obvious response to that will be what the hell have the squad been doing the past 6 months of preseason. Agree with Sugar about our players mentality. Next to the Hummel arrows we should stick "Fragile - this way up"  :help. I've never seen before a whole side in unison have such massive confidence swings that are poles apart as ours.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Moi

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 08:58:33 AM »
I'm a fan of Sugar's but calling our supporters fickle was a poor effort. 25 years of crap yet almost 30,000 members and top 5 in attendances isn't fickle. Feral yes; fickle no!
Well said.

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 09:25:07 AM »
Well said.

I'm with you there Moi. I thougt I would email the thought off to the club but when i tried the Contact Us link it was a bare page with no information. they must have been hammered with emails

Jackstar

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 10:34:03 AM »
leaders are people who are pro-active, not reactive..
Round 1 has set the RFC  backwards big time.
What about membership ?
If Johnson was at loss to explain the defeat, well hello.
Lead by example would be a good idea, but its a bit late once the horse has bolted ::)
Too say that now is the biggest challenge is reactive.
All good leaders in our society are pro-active people
Leaders are people who can win a game of there own boot or make decisions that are of influence.. Enough said !

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 10:48:18 AM »
The media will be troublemakers this week. Sugar shouldn't regurgitate their garbage. I heard Damien Barrett from the H-Sun on 774 yesterday and he was predicting the end of the world in regards to supporters, members, etc going nuts. Even brought up the 2004 election battle and whether Miller and Wallace have too much power and about March being an invisible president and facing civil action  ::). WTF has that got to do with last Friday night. Off field we're getting our house in order; it's on-field that we're still crap.

Barrett should stick to doing what he does best.  Whatever that is.

He has about as much credibility talking about Richmond as I do talking about brain surgery and rocket science.

Typical media person, just say something, anything, to sensationalise and dramatise.  Trying to make a big name for himself at the expense of someone else’s misfortune.  People like that don’t deserve recognition.

It’s about time Richmond supporters woke up to people in the media and especially the press.  They just feed off our supporters and do more harm to RFC than any of our supporters ever could.

Next to the Hummel arrows we should stick "Fragile - this way up"  :help. I've never seen before a whole side in unison have such massive confidence swings that are poles apart as ours.

Unbelievable stuff MT.

The thing we have to remember though is that when Geelong and St. Kilda started to re-build they both went through massive learning curves over a number of seasons.  And they’re not even there yet.  They’ve copped drubbings, been inconsistent, had question marks about how good they are, and all the rest of it, but they persist and just get on with the job of getting game time into their players, gradually turning over their lists and learning as they go.  And that’s what we have to do too.  We have barely even started.

We will be inconsistent, have games where you just shake your head and wonder what’s going on, but we just have to persist and get on with things.

It’s not the end of the world, even though some will try and tell us it is.

It’s just the beginning.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 06:12:21 PM »
I thougt I would email the thought off to the club but when i tried the Contact Us link it was a bare page with no information. they must have been hammered with emails

:rollin

The dopey twits don't realise everything on the web is archived. That's why when you google search you can access old pages by clicking the "Cached" button. Here's the contact info Mopsy  :thumbsup.

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:WqCM_dEmoIIJ:richmondfc.com.au/default.asp%3Fpg%3Dcontactus+richmond+football+club+contact+us&hl=en&gl=au&ct=clnk&cd=2

You can also contact people at the club directly via email.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline shawry

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 05:15:51 PM »
Johnson needs ot really lift and have a serious influence and start having serious affect on games off his own boot.  That is what skippers do.

Ox

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 05:25:35 PM »
"It is (my biggest challenge) and that is a good challenge," he said.

"I am really looking forward to it and I wouldn't be a captain if you didn't have these sort of challenges.

"If I can get through this, I am going to grow and hopefully I can.

"As soon as (the Bulldogs) got three (goals) in a row we virtually s--- ourselves

Frawleyesque - NOT GOOD.

This to me is further proof that sugar aint the guy 4 the job.
He sounds absolutely alienated by the challenge not to mention his inability to communicate his feelings properly.
JFC!

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 06:12:34 PM »
leaders are people who are pro-active, not reactive..

All good leaders in our society are pro-active people

Couldn't agree with you more Jackstar.
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine