Author Topic: VFL R1: Richmond vs Geelong @ Kardinia Park, Friday April 5  (Read 5397 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: VFL R1: Richmond vs Geelong @ Kardinia Park, Friday April 5
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2019, 10:09:22 PM »
Final Score

Richmond   4.4    6.6    8.6   14.13-97
Geelong     3.2    5.5    9.9    12.11-83

Goals: Chol 3, Moore 2, Coleman-Jones 2, Townsend, Turner, English, Soldo, Menadue, Silvestro, Thompson.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2019, 10:25:00 PM »
Stats:

Naish            23 disposals (15 kicks 8 handballs) 4 marks 2 tackles
Bolton           22 disposals (14 kicks 8 handballs) 4 marks 4 tackles
Menadue        21 disposals (13 kicks 8 handballs) 3 marks 2 tackles
Ross              21 disposals (11 kicks 10 handballs) 2 marks 8 tackles
Caddy            17 disposals (9 kicks 9 handballs) 2 marks 1 tackle - 3 quarters of game time.
Townsend       17 disposals (13 kicks 4 handballs) 4 marks 6 tackles
Turner            17 disposals (10 kicks 7 handballs) 4 marks 1 tackle
Chol                16 disposals (9 kicks 7 handballs) 3 marks 2 tackles 3 hitouts
Coleman-Jones 13 disposals (8 kicks 5 handballs) 7 marks 6 tackles 5 hitouts
RCD                 11 disposals (6 kicks 5 handballs) 1 mark 1 tackle
Soldo               11 disposals (5 kicks 6 handballs) 2 marks 3 tackles 31 hitouts
Egg-Smith        10 disposals (5 kicks 5 handballs) 1 mark 1 tackle
Moore                9 disposals (7 kicks 2 handballs) 4 marks 1 tackle
Miller                 6 disposals (4 kicks 2 handballs) 2 marks
English              5 disposals (1 kick 4 handballs)

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/geelong-v-richmond-round-1-5-4-19-at-gmhba-stadium.1215155/post-60190663

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2019, 11:03:41 PM »
Stats:

Bolton           22 disposals (14 kicks 8 handballs) 4 marks 4 tackles

Ross              21 disposals (11 kicks 10 handballs) 2 marks 8 tackles

:shh :shh

RCD                 11 disposals (6 kicks 5 handballs) 1 mark 1 tackle

English              5 disposals (1 kick 4 handballs)

:-\ :-\
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Tiger Tragic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2019, 12:00:44 AM »
Did Caddy only play a half? If so, 17 possessions is a fair half

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2019, 12:28:11 AM »
Did Caddy only play a half? If so, 17 possessions is a fair half
3/4rs apparently.

Good win from what I heard. Always love beating those jungle bunnies on their turf.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2019, 02:08:50 AM »
Seems like a good game from Chol.
Hopefully the penny’s finally dropped
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2019, 03:19:56 AM »
Cubs lead VFL Tigers to victory over Cats

Brenton Mann
AFL media
Apr 5, 2019 10:56PM

Richmond VFL stormed past Geelong with six goals in the final term to record an impressive 14-point win at GMHBA Stadium on Friday night.

The Tigers had to fight tooth and nail and eventually secured a 14.13 (97) to 12.11 (83) come-from-behind win, their first at the venue since 2014.

It was the youthful brigade of Shai Bolton, Jack Ross and Callum Coleman-Jones who led the resurgence, while Patrick Naish and Connor Menadue also helped shoulder the load.

Ross’ influence was immense in the final term, while Bolton looked irresistible when streaming forward.

The pair complemented each other perfectly at the centre bounce, with Ross bringing the grunt and Bolton the flair.

Coleman-Jones had an aura of invincibility when deep in attack all night and capped off a remarkable game with two clutch goals, which helped seal a memorable win.

To the Cats’ credit, they scrapped it out until the final siren, with their bevy of tall timber always looming large in attack, but the Tigers would not be denied.

Richmond ventured down the highway to GMHBA Stadium, intent on getting its season started on the right foot - and it did just that.

The game marked the return of Josh Caddy, with the premiership midfield/forward adding a bundle of class, wisdom and experience to the youthful Richmond outfit.

The balmy and blustery conditions added an element of intrigue, which made adjusting to the surroundings and the conditions a premium.

Caddy played the first three quarters, predominantly through the midfield, where his strong body in the contest proved invaluable, and finished with 17 touches.

Over its practice match campaign, Richmond’s pressure and intensity were cherished commodities, and a defining feature of the Tigers’ identity.

And they brought that heat from the opening bounce against the Cats.

Richmond looked slick and sharp with ball in hand and alert and organised in defence.

Twin towers, Callum Moore and Coleman-Jones, both took multiple, telling marks inside 50, slotting a goal apiece.

Moore had a hand in the Tigers’ first major in 2019. Whilst hemmed in on the boundary, he screwed the ball across his body to find Jacob Townsend flying free in the corridor.

Townsend gathered himself and coolly eased through the set-shot.

The Tigers started the better, however, the Cats’ midfielders started to win the ball and Wylie Buzza caused a few headaches up forward.

Geelong kicked three of the last four goals of the quarter, with Buzza slotting two of them.

Richmond held a slender eight-point lead at quarter-time, as the Cats pressed late.

Bolton and Townsend brought a touch of class early in the second term, with both having direct assists in two early majors.

As the Tigers surged the ball off a defensive turnover, Bolton sprung-up at half-forward and plucked a contested mark.

He then turned and pulled the trigger, placing the ball perfectly to the advantage of Tom Silvestro, 35 metres out from goal.

Silvestro, a veteran of the VFL program, did what good players do and kicked a goal when his team needed it most.

Townsend then, with Cats’ defenders bearing down on him in the forward pocket, massaged the ball to the top of the goalsquare, where Mabior Chol juggled the mark.

Chol slotted his second of the night to push the margin out to 20 points.

Geelong then arrested back the momentum, with two late goals and cut the Tigers lead to eight points once again.

In the third quarter, the Cats raised the bar, and began torching the Tigers on the turnover and through the midfield.

Back-to-back goals from centre bounce clearances added salt to the wounds, as Ryan Abbott, Darcy Fort and Zac Smith started to get on top of Ivan Soldo and Coleman-Jones.

The Cats completed a 40-point turnaround and held a 20-point lead deep into time-on of the third term; then up stood Soldo.

The Tiger big man drew a free keep from a marking infringement, and with his side desperate for a slither of hope, he delivered, nailing his set-shot into the breeze.

It sparked Richmond into action, triggering yet another shift in momentum.

First-year Tiger, Luke English then bobbed up for his first goal in Yellow and Black, and the margin was cut to just eight points heading into the last quarter.

Richmond recaptured its defensive ferocity, stunning Geelong with a four-goal burst in the opening 10 minutes of the final term, which handed it a match-winning three-goal lead.

With Noah Balta and Ryan Garthwaite gearing up for a senior clash with GWS on Saturday, Hugh Beasley assumed the role as backline general, and rallied the troops superbly.

Beasley was handsomely supported by stoic defender Daniel Coffield and inspiring skipper Steve Morris.

The Tigers were challenged on numerous occasions by the Cats, but they stuck to the process and fought to the end.

GEELONG      3.2       5.5       9.9       12.11 (83)

RICHMOND    4.4       6.7       8.7       14.13 (97)

Goals – Chol 3, Coleman-Jones 2, Moore 2, English, Menadue, Silvestro, Soldo, Thompson, Townsend, Turner

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2019-04-05/vfl-round-1-match-report

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2019, 08:26:53 AM »
Good win by the boys...

Some really good talent in that side still.

Obviously looking forward to seeing Ross play senior footy but for mine, I’m looking forward to seeing Bolton get another opportunity. I just hope when he does he plays a similar roll he is playing in the twos. (Stints on ball and on the wings)

Bolton for Bellis and I think most would be pretty happy. His extra speed and X factor would be invaluable at the moment.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2019, 03:33:57 PM »
Bolton for Bellis :shh The same Bolton that almost everyone on this forum bar AT wanted to trade...:shh

But yeah I agree, get him in for a run....:shh :shh
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2019, 03:58:05 PM »
The trade talk was mainly just practical as the strong word was that he wanted to go home....which is still not entirely off the cards just quietly..... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2019, 04:03:11 PM »
Bolton for Bellis :shh The same Bolton that almost everyone on this forum bar AT wanted to trade...:shh

But yeah I agree, get him in for a run....:shh :shh
If you look back and look at my posts you will see that I kept saying that he was being played out of position. As a kid, he played midfield / wing but we kept playing him in a forward pocket.....  :shh
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2019, 04:14:37 PM »
:shh :shh
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2019, 09:15:32 PM »
VFL backline and development coach, Ryan Ferguson, provides a summary of how the Tigers’ players performed in last Friday's Round 1 win over Geelong at GMHBA Stadium.

Patrick Naish
23 disposals, 10 handball receives, six inside-50s.

“Playing really good footy at the moment. We’re noticing his change of speed when he’s got the ball, which is creating a lot for us at the moment. His defensive stuff has gone to another level.”

Shai Bolton

22 disposals, six tackles, four centre clearances, 12 inside-50s.

“Was explosive, helped to change the game, particularly in the second half when we were a little bit down. His clearance work, his tackling and then his ability to bring others into the game was outstanding.”

Jack Ross
21 disposals, 10 handball receives, eight tackles, four clearances.

“’Rossy’ was another one, along with Shai (Bolton) who helped to change the game. He was strong inside and played a bit off half-back, which is good for his versatility.”

Connor Menadue

21 disposals, eight rebound-50s, one goal.

“Played a little bit on the wing and also off half-back. When we needed him, we put him to half-back to give us some ball-winning ability and rebound.”

Josh Caddy

17 disposals, seven clearances, three inside-50s.

“It was good to see ‘Cadds’ out there. He got through the whole game, contributed really well and his leadership was handy for our young group.”

Fraser Turner
17 disposals, eight handball receives, four rebound-50s, one goal.

“Fraser was able to impact on offense, he’s still working on some defensive positioning and patterns.”

Jacob Townsend
17 disposals, six tackles, one goal.

“’Towner’ had six tackles, showed his trademark strong body work, and also hit the scoreboard.”

Mabior Chol
16 disposals, three goals, three marks.

“’Marbs’ played forward and back but had a greater impact up forward. It’s good to know that we can always swing him back if needed.”

Callum Coleman-Jones
13 disposals, seven marks, six tackles, two goals.

“It was one of his best games for the Club. He impacted on the scoreboard and was strong in the contest. He broke some packs open and brought others into the game.”

Ivan Soldo
11 disposals, 31 hit-outs, two clearances.

“Some of Soldo’s ruckwork was outstanding. He put the ball into space, allowing our ‘mids’ to get to work, and got some penetrating clearances. He just needs to make sure he defends the opposition ruckman when they drift forward.”

Riley Collier-Dawkins
11 disposals, three handball receives, one clearance.

“We tried Riley at half-back for the first half and he did okay. He learnt a few lessons in positioning which will be good for his development and then he went on-ball in the second half.”

Derek Eggmolesse-Smith

10 disposals, four handball receives, three spoils, three rebound-50s.

“Derek’s defensive running patterns behind the ball, his defensive efforts and intensity have been a highlight for us in recent weeks, which is encouraging for him.”

Callum Moore
Nine disposals, two goals, four marks.

“As always, he was dangerous and elusive up forward, kicking two goals.”

Ben Miller
Six disposals, two marks, two rebound-50s.

“First game back after illness, so he was a little bit rusty. We’re encouraging him to see the ball, win the ball and back his judgement.”

Luke English

Five disposals, one goal, three handball receives.

“Was able to get on the end of one and kick a goal. A quiet day for him."

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2019-04-10/vfl-report-round-1