Author Topic: Dusty's appeal succeeds - ban down to 1 week [updated]  (Read 14331 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Dusty cops 2 weeks plus a fine [updated]
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2019, 04:56:39 PM »
Challenge based simply on the Mitchell case.
The article on the AFL website says the MRO haven't yet made their decision about Dusty's bird/snort gesture. So Dusty could still cop even more punishment.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2019, 05:00:12 PM »
2 weeks with an early plea what a load of crap! What did the grade the force for it to be that? Agree should be challenged within a second.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2019, 05:06:01 PM »
2 weeks with an early plea what a load of crap! What did the grade the force for it to be that? Agree should be challenged within a second.
It was graded ... as intentional conduct, with medium impact to the head ...

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-08/dusty-hit-with-ban-star-pie-in-the-clear-for-late-bump

Being off the ball would've come into account too.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2019, 05:07:20 PM »
Medium impact hahahahahaha

They came to that conclusions based on their severely pixelated video footage and the opposition player continuing without a care in the world did they?

In other news, Taylor Adams late bump, head high contact, player went to ground, no charge.....

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2019, 05:26:35 PM »
i couldnt imagine a gws club with leon cameron and our former captain giving a not so glowing medical report

i call bs christian u c.............head. tiger should challenge

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2019, 05:33:55 PM »
New rule comes out....

"It potentially could have caused more damage."

Well every hit seen this year that got off could have potentially caused more damage.....

What the heck is going on?

I think that they should challenge and get it down to a week which is what it deserved....
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2019, 05:47:44 PM »
Taking into account the visual look of the incident, the player reaction, the medical report and the potential to cause a more serious injury … we decided the appropriate grading was medium in this case," Christian told AFL.com.au

Is this guy for real? Visual look....potential to cause more serious injury....when have these ever been taken into account before? I’ve never studied a single day of law and even I could get that charge downgraded if that’s how it’s been decided.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2019, 06:08:46 PM »
:lol

what a season this is turning out to be.

challenge it. i don't know why we cop this BS from the AFL year after year. we may as well savage the pricks, not like we've got anything to lose now.
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Online Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2019, 06:25:25 PM »
The MRP make up the rules as they go along, one minute the penalty is heavily based upon the severity of injury caused to the player, now it seems its the extent of injury that could have resulted. Funny how the interpretation changes always seem to affect us. If they are going to base a decision on the visual look of an incident then the whole system is doomed to fail. The better you conceal your attack on an opponent the less likely you are to get suspended even though its still caught on camera and the result is the same.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2019, 06:39:11 PM »
Dusty plays better as a matyr not a hero. 2017, he was a villain to comp with his Dad, chopsticks etc. Since then he's been loved by the outside too much for mine.

Get that negative outside stuff back and a bit more mongrel, little less flair and we might have old Dusty back with a vengence in 2 weeks.
Go Tigers!

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2019, 10:25:53 PM »
Be Boer probably didn’t do too much wrong other than give away a free kick every time he put his arms around Dusty to stop him running where he wanted to.
If the umpires pay a few early that incident doesn’t happen.
If the AFL want to take that look out of the game, protect the guy going the footy first and foremost.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
‘I’d lash him’: AFL greats’ fiery bake for Martin over ‘cheap shot’ ban

April 8, 2019 9:14pm
Anna Harrington
FOX SPORTS

Brisbane legend Jonathan Brown and Melbourne great Garry Lyon have slammed Dustin Martin for getting suspended when Richmond needed him most.

Martin was served a two-game suspension for a high elbow on GWS’ Adam Kennedy behind the play.

A frustrated Martin was struggling with a tag from Matt de Boer when he lashed out at Kennedy in the second term of the Tigers’ loss.

The Tigers were without Alex Rance and Jack Riewoldt heading into the game, while skipper Trent Cotchin injured his hamstring in the third term. Now they will be without their big four for at least the next two weeks, for the first time since Martin’s debut in 2010.

“A bloke who is on $1.4m, he’s an experienced footballer, he’s just seen his captain go down, he’s seen Rance go down, he’s seen Riewoldt go down and then that is his response — to a team who are vulnerable, who are without their best players and leaders because he got a bit frustrated — he let himself do that?” Lyon said on Fox Footy’s On the Couch.

“I mean, I don’t sit him down, I’d lash him.

“With the greatest respect, we’ve sat here with Dustin Martin, and absolutely lauded him as one of the great footballers of the modern era, that was irresponsible to the max.

“You might not want to be a leader, Dusty, and he may not feel comfortable doing it but you’ve got your four big guns out and at very worst, you can’t do that, on that occasion.”

Martin struggled with a tag against Collingwood, then again against the Giants — with de Boer limiting him to 15 touches, while Martin also gave away three free kicks.

Brown said Martin needed to learn how to “conquer” a tag.

“For me the biggest problem (is) he’s distracted at the moment,” Brown said on Fox Footy’s On the Couch.

“No, I’m not going to worry about the offield stuff — there’s been a lot of talk in the last 24 hours (about) his mental state or where’s his hunger at — I’m not going to worry about that.

“All we can judge him on is what;’ s going on, on the field and the last fortnight, especially, he’s been tagged by Levi Greenwood, this week Matt de Boer.

“He is not coping with the tag, full-stop. now he wants to go down as an all-time great — which he is not an all-time great yet — he needs to be able to conquer this tag.

“If I’m an opposition coach coming in now, I’m saying ‘go out there and annoy Dustin’ because he’s distracted and for whatever reason he’s distracted, who cares, he’s distracted — he’s not coping with that at all.

“So he needs to be able to conquer that and get over it and as Garry said, no greater time than now.

“The side needed him and needed him to be responsible.”

Brown said the hit on Kennedy was a “cheap shot” that thoroughly deserved its suspension.

“It was a pretty solid hit behind the ball. It wasn’t on de Boer, he was just running away and the bloke (Kennedy) was standing in front of him, so he just elbowed him — he lost the plot,” Brown said.

“That’s just a blatant elbow to the head.

“It’s a cheap shot, it’s a cheap shot by Dusty — he should be disappointed with that and I think that deserves two weeks.”

Lyon perhaps summed up the situation best:

“Bottom line is, they’ve got a fit Dustin Martin sitting on the sideline for two weeks, in a time when in the last two years they can least afford it,” he said.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/jonathan-brown-and-garry-lyon-slam-dustin-martin-for-getting-suspended-for-a-cheap-shot/news-story/bbb85656c67bad8ccf3f60c8972772a1

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Martin pushed over the edge: manager (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2019, 10:40:48 PM »
Martin pushed over the edge: manager

Mark Robinson,
Herald Sun
9 April 2019

Dustin Martin’s brain-fade elbow was uncharacteristic and brought on by extra attention he has been receiving from opponents, according to his manager Ralph Carr.

Carr echoed Richmond coach Damien Hardwick’s belief Martin was provoked against GWS on Saturday.

Martin was suspended for two matches for his high elbow hit on Giant Adam Kennedy.

A week earlier, Martin’s teammate Dylan Grimes was suspended for a week for a similar incident, and arguably with the same potential to cause injury to Collingwood’s Jamie Elliott, but only received a one-game suspension.

Any penalties for his one-finger salute and snorting gesture against GWS are still to be determined by the AFL.

Carr told the Herald Sun Martin was “pushed and shoved’’ constantly.

“It was uncharacteristic from him, he’s never done it in his career,’’ Carr said.

“It’s very un-Dustin Martin like, I have never seen him argue with an umpire or retaliate before.

“He’s getting far more attention these days — have you seen the extra attention, it’s unbelievable.

“The footage shows they pushed and shoved him all day and whatever else they did.’’

Carr stressed Martin, who was tagged out of both the Round 2 (Collingwood) and Round 3 (GWS) matches, was in great shape.

“I don’t think I’ve seen him a better place,” he said.

“All he talks about is winning another flag for Richmond.”

To those who had questioned Martin’s desire, Carr said: “Think about all those times over the years they’ve written off a champion. You can’t write off a champion.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/manager-ralph-carr-explains-why-dustin-martin-lost-his-composure-against-gws/news-story/bd886600c3f3a18ec1d3a3c57da3f880

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers set to challenge Martin ban, while 'please explain' issued (Age)
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2019, 10:44:36 PM »
Tigers set to challenge Martin ban, while 'please explain' issued

Daniel Cherny, Jake Niall
The Age
9 April 2019

Richmond are set to contest Dustin Martin's two-match sanction for striking at the tribunal on Tuesday night, while Martin has until the close of business on Tuesday to answer a "please explain" issued in relation to gestures made by the superstar in Saturday's loss to Greater Western Sydney.

The Tigers are staring at the prospect of being without their "fab four" of Martin, Jack Riewoldt, Alex Rance and Trent Cotchin, the last of whom is set to miss two to three matches with a hamstring injury, for the first time in a decade when they confront Port Adelaide this week.

Match review officer Michael Christian graded Martin's off-the-ball elbow to the head of Giant Adam Kennedy as an intentional high strike with medium impact.

The Tigers are poised to argue that the impact of the hit was low, rather than medium.

A reduction in the grading of the impact from medium to low would reduce Martin's suspension from two games to one.

Asked on Monday about the decision to grade the impact as medium, Christian said: "Three things that are considered with respect to impact. Player reaction, medical report, and also the visual look of the strike. And in combination with the potential to cause more serious injury it was thought that the most appropriate grading was medium."

While Christian reiterated that he was unable to go into specifics about the Giants' medical report for confidentiality reasons, Kennedy played out Saturday's game and is understood to have pulled up well.

Late on Monday afternoon the AFL's football operations department issued Martin a "please explain" in relation to the raised middle finger, snorting gesture and seemingly obscene comments he directed towards a Giants opponent during the game.

Should Martin be unable to provide an adequate explanation, it's expected he would be fined, as typically happens in these sorts of situations.

Had Martin merely raised his middle digit the matter would have been one for the MRO, but the snorting gesture led the AFL to direct the issue to its broader football operations and integrity teams.

Christian, meanwhile, offered Martin a $1500 fixed sanction for striking Giant Matt de Boer in a separate incident during GWS' win over Richmond on Saturday at Giants Stadium.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-expecting-richmond-to-challenge-two-match-ban-for-dustin-martin-20190408-p51c4e.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond to appeal Dustin Martin ban to reduce sentence (Age)
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2019, 11:23:45 AM »
Richmond to appeal Dustin Martin ban to reduce sentence

Jake Niall
The Age
9 April 2019

Richmond will appeal Dustin Martin's two-match ban at the AFL tribunal on Tuesday night.

The Tigers are set to challenge the level of impact after Martin was found to have used medium force in striking Giant Adam Kennedy high during Saturday afternoon's match at Giants Stadium.

It is expected that the challenge will only seek to reduce the ban from two games to one, because Martin can only realistically challenge level of impact.

The match review officer, Michael Christian, had found that Martin struck Kennedy intentionally and high, classifications that are difficult to overturn.

The Tigers decided to challenge in a meeting on Tuesday morning but the AFL was expecting a tribunal case involving Martin, who is also facing a potential fine over gestures and language directed at GWS' Shane Mumford during the same game.

Martin has been issued with a please explain.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-to-appeal-dustin-martin-ban-to-reduce-sentence-20190409-p51c9i.html?js-chunk-not-found-refresh=true