Author Topic: Marlion Pickett [merged]  (Read 121378 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Marlion Pickett [merged]
« Reply #180 on: February 13, 2020, 11:40:58 PM »
“He’s got special talent”: Could Tigers sensation become a top 50 player?

By Alex Zaia
SEN
13 Feb 2020

Could Richmond’s Grand Final hero Marlion Pickett become a top 50 player by the end of 2020?

Tim Watson doesn’t think it’s beyond the realm of possibility, describing the mature-age recruit as a “special talent”.

On debut, Pickett finished third in the Norm Smith Medal voting after collecting 22 disposals and booting a goal having been selected in the mid-season rookie draft.

“I wouldn’t bet against that,” Watson told SEN Breakfast.

“Let’s re-examine what he did: he stepped up and played his first game of AFL football in a Grand Final and was considered one of the better players on the ground.

“After a really disrupted year, he’s settled, he’s had a proper pre-season at AFL level, he’s got the talent, he’s 28 years of age, he has the confidence that now he belongs out there even after one game, I wouldn’t rule out that he could be a top 50 player.

“This could be one of the steels of the last century in recruiting. I think he’s got special talent.”

Garry Lyon wants to see an increased body of work before talking about Pickett as a potential top 50 player.

“I wouldn’t rule it out, but I need to see more,” Lyon said of Pickett.

“They smashed the Giants. Let’s cut to the chase, in the end it was a low-pressure game. A low-pressure game because of just how brilliant Richmond were.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/02/12/hes-got-special-talent-could-tigers-sensation-become-a-top-50-player/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #181 on: February 21, 2020, 03:51:55 AM »
From Vlastuin's instagram page:

"Man can play"

https://www.instagram.com/nvlastuin/?hl=en

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #182 on: March 05, 2020, 02:42:37 PM »
Five clubs overlooked Marlion Pickett

Alistair Paton
Herald-Sun
5 March 2020

Five other clubs passed on the chance to recruit Richmond Grand Final hero Marlion Pickett.

The one-game wonder finished third in Norm Smith Medal voting after joining the Tigers in last year's mid-season draft. He revealed untold details of one of footy's great redemption stories on the ABC's Australian Story.

After a stints in juvenile detention and prison, Pickett was signed by WAFL club South Fremantle in 2013, picking up 26 disposals and kicking three goals on debut. In 2016 he won his second club best-and-fairest.

In those years he attracted the attention of a number of AFL clubs.

"I met with several different clubs – West Coast, Fremantle, Gold Coast, Essendon, St Kilda – but I got overlooked every year," Pickett said.

"It made me more angry that they are still worrying about my past."

Tigers coach Damien Hardwick revealed Richmond also looked closely at Pickett in 2016, but the club wasn't in a position to recruit him after a nightmare season in which Hardwick narrowly avoided being sacked.

"I became a shocking coach … A WA indigenous boy that has experienced what he has done, I would have just thought this is all too hard, there is no way this is going to work," Hardwick said.

"Sometimes you learn the toughest lessons of your life and in your darkest times. It certainly happened to me, it might have happened to Marlion as well."

Pickett said his life might not have turned out the way it has if not for his run-ins with the law.

"Some people say what happened to me is a fairytale. But if you're looking for change and a better life, it's up to you if you want to change it."

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/afl-daily-rolling-footy-news-from-superfooty-experts-across-australia-for-thursday-march-5-2020/live-coverage/a1f343687c469d14034383ef3012ce29

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #183 on: March 07, 2020, 05:03:49 AM »
Ex-Tigers star tips Pickett to be dropped to VFL

By Chris De Silva
wwos.nine.com.au
7 March 2020

Marlion Pickett may have starred in his AFL debut during last year's Grand Final, but former Richmond star Nathan Brown has suggested Pickett will spend time in the VFL in 2020.

After creating AFL history by making his debut in the Grand Final, Pickett was close to being named the best on ground in Richmond's thumping win, raising expectations for his 2020 season.

However, Brown, who played 82 games for the Tigers between 2004 and 2009, warned fans to be patient with Pickett's inevitable ups and downs.

"He's only played one game, Marlion Pickett, and I wouldn't be surprised if he plays some reserves football this year," he told Wide World of Sports.

"He had a great Grand Final and came in and was great, but there's going to be times, as there is with every young player, where it'll be up and down.

"They have a young kid called Collier-Dawkins who they think will be a great inside midfielder, and anyone who gets into that side is well worth their weight."

While he predicted Pickett would spend some time in the VFL, Brown suggested that the 28-year-old's emergence will help offset the loss of premiership players such as Brandon Ellis and Jacob Townsend.

"Yes they are depth players, but I just don't think they lose a lot," Brown said.

"I think what they've lost, they'll cover quite comfortably."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/nathan-brown-predicts-marlion-pickett-to-play-reserve-football-despite-stunning-debut-richmond-preview/7f566923-0f88-420f-9a92-a1f6e60f1988

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #184 on: March 07, 2020, 10:20:57 AM »
Maybe but marlion is 27 not a young kid at 18 making his way into footy.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #185 on: March 07, 2020, 11:21:16 AM »
Agreed, he will either make it or be dropped. Not expecting him to steadily improve over the next few years. Ready made and should be aiming for 100 games or fade into memories.

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #186 on: March 07, 2020, 12:48:34 PM »
Marlion will have his ups & downs like any player, its not a big stretch to say he will play in the twos at times.  The thing most likely to keep him out of the team is pressure from the youth below him.  Injury can always put a regular player in the seconds, but seeing how well he overcame the finger injury last year to push into a premiership side tells me nothing will keep him down for too long.     ;D
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #187 on: March 09, 2020, 03:05:16 PM »
Hardwick was bullish about what Marlion Pickett can produce in his first full season as a Tiger.

"I think he'll be a valuable role-player for us...he's a lot fitter, a lot leaner than this time last year," Hardwick said.

"He reads the play pretty real, uses the ball very well, so he'll play predominately through the midfield with stints up forward with as well.

"He's very flexible by nature, so he's going to be a valuable chess piece for us.

Source: AFL media

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #188 on: March 10, 2020, 01:25:01 PM »
I expect to get shot down for this but I'm still unsure if Marlion is best 22.  Hope to be proven wrong and I am sure he will play round one.   

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #189 on: March 10, 2020, 02:07:43 PM »
I expect to get shot down for this but I'm still unsure if Marlion is best 22.  Hope to be proven wrong and I am sure he will play round one.   

No shots fired from me. Happy to give him a run but he is a fringe player until he proves he can do it week in week out.

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #191 on: March 10, 2020, 11:32:09 PM »
Huh
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #193 on: March 11, 2020, 03:19:11 AM »
DAMIEN Hardwick has revealed the moment he felt Marlion Pickett may never achieve his dream of playing AFL, just weeks after arriving at Punt Road.

Speaking as part of the AFL's Season Launch video dedicated to Pickett's fairytale journey, Hardwick considered the chances of his new signing never returning to Melbourne after flying home for a funeral in June last year.

Follow Marlion Pickett's amazing story to the AFL and the MCG's September stage

"I thought it might be the last time I've heard of Marlion Pickett," Hardwick said.

"Yeah, I thought he might be staying in Perth."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/384440/watch-the-moment-dimma-feared-he-d-never-see-marlion-again

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #194 on: March 11, 2020, 01:23:25 PM »

No shots fired from me. Happy to give him a run but he is a fringe player until he proves he can do it week in week out.
Having a fringe midfielder who can rack up 20 possies is a good sign of our depth.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd