Author Topic: Marlion Pickett [merged]  (Read 122365 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Marlion Pickett cops a week from the MRO [update]
« Reply #480 on: May 16, 2022, 09:23:16 PM »
If Pickett had "got him flush" in the head then Moore would not have got up.

Dimma wasn't confident about the appeal on AFL360. Interesting what the Club presents as a defence. Pickett got off with a fine for his similar bump on Heeney in 2020 which was classed as low impact. So presumably we'll either argue there wasn't high contact and/or that the contact was low impact rather than medium given Moore got up and played on with no ill effects.

MARLION PICKETT – LOW IMPACT ($1000 FINE)
"Isaac Heeney went to ground, but was only down for two or three seconds – maybe four seconds max – but he was able to get up and play on. Taking into account his medical report, the player reaction and the visual look of the incident … we thought the most appropriate grading was low in that particular case."
https://www.afl.com.au/news/465330/four-bumps-four-outcomes-inside-the-mros-thinking
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #481 on: May 17, 2022, 12:15:05 AM »
Was an excellent bump and the kid wasn’t fazed by it got up and played on like a man.  :clapping

This case will easily be thrown out and Pickett will be able to wear his own designed jumper at dreamtime at the G  :gotigers
The club that keeps giving.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #482 on: May 17, 2022, 01:30:09 AM »
I like everyone’s optimism but I can’t see him getting off based on this footage. Gets him square in the noggin’

https://mobile.twitter.com/ScootiePuffJnr/status/1525791172895342592?t=6fT7UtaEL4Nm2azgsgOUYQ&s=19

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #483 on: May 17, 2022, 07:21:02 AM »
He should get off

But...

Can't see it happening they will make an example of us

And just on challenging

The AFL should challenge the leniency of penalty dished out Liam Ryan of WCE. One week for what he did which is far more dangerous than Pickett's bump. Should have been at least 2-3
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 05:11:40 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #484 on: May 17, 2022, 07:30:32 AM »
As much as I hate to admit the game is soft i can’t see them letting him both he and Lynch off from from the same game.

We should be extremely lucky that the afl hasnt challenge lynch, after the jabba and other media pile on.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #485 on: May 17, 2022, 02:46:21 PM »
"To the letter of the law, he struggles to get off." 🗣

Dimma admits Marlion Pickett's Tribunal case will be tricky

Watch here: https://twitter.com/FOXFOOTY/status/1526145266327244801

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #486 on: May 17, 2022, 03:42:07 PM »
Tigers star pitches in for sons’ footy club

After a bruising battle with Hawthorn on Saturday, Richmond star Marlion Pickett was back on the footy field on Sunday helping out at his sons’ junior game.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/localfooty/nfl/richmonds-marlion-pickett-volunteering-at-sons-junior-footy-club/news-story/3b920742417c3b3fc3a22e1f02e2c689

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #487 on: May 17, 2022, 05:49:57 PM »
Tigers hopeful on Pickett tribunal charge

Oliver Caffrey
7news
17 May 2022

Richmond are banking on Marlion Pickett's rough conduct charge being downgraded from medium to low impact so the Indigenous star can play in the Tigers' AFL Dreamtime blockbuster.

Pickett was offered a one-match ban for a high bump on Hawthorn livewire Dylan Moore during Saturday's clash at the MCG.

But the Tigers are taking the charge to the tribunal on Tuesday night even though it is unlikely Pickett will be freed to play against Essendon.

"He plays the game a hard, tough Richmond style and it's unfortunate he finds himself in trouble with the tribunal.

"Hopefully he can get off.

"It's a football act and goes into a contest not hoping to cause injury but we understand these are the rules of the game and we've got our fingers crossed.

"We probably think it's low impact but according to the rules it comes across as medium so it's unfortunate."

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/tigers-hopeful-on-pickett-tribunal-charge-c-6829003

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #488 on: May 17, 2022, 06:40:33 PM »
F me. Our club is a rabble when we are conceding before the hearing even starts

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #489 on: May 17, 2022, 06:42:17 PM »
"To the letter of the law, he struggles to get off." 🗣

Dimma admits Marlion Pickett's Tribunal case will be tricky

Watch here: https://twitter.com/FOXFOOTY/status/1526145266327244801

Probably not the smartest comment by Dimma prior to the appeal. 

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Appeal fails. Pickett cops a week from the Tribunal [update]
« Reply #490 on: May 17, 2022, 06:43:35 PM »
The Appeal has failed.

Source: AFL website.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #491 on: May 17, 2022, 06:43:44 PM »
Ban stands: Tiger to miss Dreamtime after Tribunal challenge fails - https://www.afl.com.au/news/763123
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Appeal fails. Pickett cops a week from the Tribunal [update]
« Reply #492 on: May 17, 2022, 06:45:01 PM »
Ban stands: Tiger to miss Dreamtime after Tribunal challenge fails

AAP
17 May 2022  6:40pm

Richmond utility Marlion Pickett will miss the Dreamtime game after failing to overturn his rough conduct charge at the Tribunal.

Pickett was offered a one-match ban for a high bump on Hawthorn livewire Dylan Moore during Saturday's clash.

But the charge was upheld on Tuesday night with the Tigers failing to have Pickett's contact downgraded from medium to low impact.

Pickett and his partner Jessica Nannup have designed Richmond's Indigenous jumper for this year's Sir Doug Nicholls Round but he will not get to run out on the MCG against Essendon on Saturday night.

The 30-year-old argued he was only going for the ball when he decided to lay a shepherd on Moore so teammate Liam Baker could collect possession.

Pickett told the Tribunal it was a safe bump that was delivered with a level of force of "three out of 10".

"I dropped my level to make it safe because there was a height difference between me (and Moore)," Pickett said.

The AFL's legal counsel Nick Pane said the incident could never be deemed to be low impact.

"It was more good luck than good technique Moore wasn't injured," Pane told the Tribunal.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/763123/ban-stands-tiger-to-miss-dreamtime-after-tribunal-challenge-fails

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #493 on: May 17, 2022, 06:56:25 PM »

AAP

The AFL's legal counsel Nick Pane said the incident could never be deemed to be low impact.

"It was more good luck than good technique Moore wasn't injured," Pane told the Tribunal.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/763123/ban-stands-tiger-to-miss-dreamtime-after-tribunal-challenge-fails

Surely the fact that Moore got up and kept playing with no injury would define low impact.

Or do we suspend players on what the potential impact might have been?

If someone lets rip a roundhouse punch aimed at an opposition player's head but misses is that guilty of assault?

Grrrrr
'65

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #494 on: May 17, 2022, 08:33:31 PM »

AAP

Surely the fact that Moore got up and kept playing with no injury would define low impact.

Or do we suspend players on what the potential impact might have been?

If someone lets rip a roundhouse punch aimed at an opposition player's head but misses is that guilty of assault?

Grrrrr
'65

I think the new idea is that head contact is always medium or higher. No low impact anymore.