Author Topic: Marlion Pickett [merged]  (Read 122319 times)

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Appeal fails. Pickett cops a week from the Tribunal [update]
« Reply #495 on: May 18, 2022, 12:28:59 AM »
Ban stands: Tiger to miss Dreamtime after Tribunal challenge fails

AAP
17 May 2022  6:40pm

The AFL's legal counsel Nick Pane said the incident could never be deemed to be low impact.

"It was more good luck than good technique Moore wasn't injured," Pane told the Tribunal.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/763123/ban-stands-tiger-to-miss-dreamtime-after-tribunal-challenge-fails

Surely the fact that Moore got up and kept playing with no injury would define low impact.

Or do we suspend players on what the potential impact might have been?

If someone lets rip a roundhouse punch aimed at an opposition player's head but misses is that guilty of assault?

Grrrrr
'65

I think the new idea is that head contact is always medium or higher. No low impact anymore.

I think you are correct. Seems pretty silly to me, goes against the very definition of the word impact if they don’t consider force. But hey just add it to the list of things the AFL make up as they go.

However in this case I will admit the impact looked at least medium. Cleaned him up flush in the head.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #496 on: May 18, 2022, 11:18:13 AM »
the reality is they have not got the guts to ban the bump so they hide behind ridiculous interpretations.

Next it will be tackles that go high getting players rubbed out.

For me its simple was there intent to hit the head and did the player do everything right in laying the bump.
Just like a tackle a bump can and does go high now and then and players should not be getting rubbed out for it.

It has always been an integral part of the game a part that makes it a tough game and a part that requires courage to play the game.

This nonsense that its not a part of the game to hurt opponents in tackles or bumps is a nonsense. We may as well be playing Basketball or net ball with the way the game has gone.

From where i sit i get a distinct feel that a lot of supporters are being turned away from the game.

We jump in boxing rings knowing we can get hurt we do all sorts of crazy things knowing we can be hurt in all types of sports but we don't screw up the fabric of those sports bthru stealth and absurd rule changes we all go into those sports with eyes wide open.

Want to play the sport do it accepting the risk or dont play it.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #497 on: May 18, 2022, 11:21:06 AM »
Netball, no contact, bs.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Marlion Pickett granted exemption to take part in Dreamtime pre-game

By Peter Ryan
The Age
May 18, 2022 — 6.46pm

The AFL has granted Richmond’s Marlion Pickett an exemption to take part in the pre-match ceremony planned ahead of the Dreamtime at the ’G game on Saturday night.

The league’s exemption was necessary after Pickett was suspended for one week after laying a bump on Hawthorn’s Dylan Moore in round nine, as players serving suspensions are normally barred from entering the arena.

The decision will allow Pickett to join his Richmond teammates on the ground when the annual team War Cry occurs before the match, which is a feature of Sir Doug Nicholls Round.

In granting the exemption to Pickett, the league decided to allow all non-selected Indigenous players from both Richmond and Essendon to be in the rooms and on the ground pre-game with their teammates in a departure from the current practice.

Pickett had played a key part in the lead-up to the game, joining his partner Jessica Nannup to design the Tigers’ Indigenous jumper that will be worn in the match, while Essendon’s Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti, who has not played a game in 2022, designed the Bombers’ jumper.

Pickett, a Noongar man, spoke with pride last week about the jumper that referenced teammates, the Tiger Army, football club staff, the journey the family made from Perth to Punt Road, and Pickett’s totem, The Karaak, a red-tailed black cockatoo, which is endemic to Noongar land.

“All credit to her, she [Jessica] put it all together, and it came up really nice,” Pickett said.

The dual premiership Tiger was disappointed to miss the match after the tribunal upheld on Tuesday night the MRO’s decision to suspend him.

He had joined other Richmond players with Indigenous heritage, Daniel Rioli, Shai Bolton, Matthew Parker, Rhyan Mansell, Sydney Stack, Shane Edwards and Maurice Rioli, in a photo shoot last week and was excited about representing his family and culture in his first Dreamtime game at the MCG.

Pickett had played in the previous two Dreamtime games that were played in Darwin in 2020 and Perth in 2021 due to the COVID lockdown in Melbourne.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/marlion-pickett-granted-exemption-to-take-part-in-dreamtime-pre-game-20220518-p5amih.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #499 on: May 18, 2022, 09:36:48 PM »
"We've got to be a little bit careful that we don't do all things for all people and end up with nothing"

Eddie McGuire on his concerns for where the game is headed after Marlion Pickett's ban, as he previews #9FootyClassified.

TONIGHT 10:40PM | @Channel9

https://twitter.com/FootyonNine/status/1526850540231184386

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #500 on: May 18, 2022, 09:42:44 PM »
Eddie is absolutely 100% correct.  :clapping
The club that keeps giving.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #501 on: May 19, 2022, 12:05:14 AM »
"It's gone too far!"

Eddie McGuire gets fired up over the bans for Marlion Pickett and James Rowbottom, saying he fears the game is becoming more sanitised than it needs to be.

#9FootyClassified

Watch here: https://twitter.com/FootyonNine/status/1526914261938851842

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #502 on: May 19, 2022, 01:05:11 PM »
“IT’S GONE TOO FAR”: MCGUIRE CONCERNED ABOUT SANITISATION OF THE GAME

By Andrew Slevison
SEN
19 May 2022

Eddie McGuire believes the sanitisation of the game is part of the reason why fans are not flocking back to AFL venues.

In 2022, crowds are down 16 per cent from the most recent COVID-free season of 2019, with the fallout from the pandemic still evident.

But there are more reasons as to why supporters are staying away, according to McGuire, who feels the game itself has been cleaned up to the point where people are frustrated.

McGuire says the pile on when somebody does something only slightly out of taste is also to blame.

“We’re worried about the crowds at the moment and yes, COVID has played a big part in it, there’s no doubt about that,” McGuire said on Footy Classified.

“But part of the reason I reckon is I can’t pick up the paper without somebody getting slaughtered. Everyone is an idiot in football or corrupt or Dustin Martin plays two good games after being off the field because of personal reasons and suddenly he’s going to Sydney. What does that do for the kids who love Dustin Martin?

“There’s always these things.

“This week, I was a bit outraged on this. I understand and was on the rules committee to try and stop head-high tackles and concussion. I led the way on that committee to stop punches, jumper punches and people getting hit behind play.

“But I’m a firm believer that this is a contact sport that is an invasion sport.”

The former Collingwood president referenced the suspensions handed out to Richmond’s Marlion Pickett and Sydney’s James Rowbottom, for what he deems to be fair and incidental actions, as two clear examples of the sanitisation of the game.

“Marlion Pickett is smart enough to see that his teammate had the run of the ball and he applied what was a fair bump,” he added.

“The Hawthorn player (Dylan Moore) gets up, he doesn’t have concussion, he might have a corky because he actually got hit properly because he (Pickett) plants his foot. It looks bad because his head goes back, but he didn’t get hit. He (Pickett) went to the Tribunal, but he didn’t even give a free kick, quite rightly to me. He (Moore) hits, goes down, there’s no problem, he’s taken a bit of a dive I reckon, to be perfectly honest.

“My point is he goes to the Tribunal and I think we are sanitising the game beyond what it needs to. I think it has to be sanitised for the protection of players.

“He (Damien Hardwick) knew he (Pickett) was going to get done because that’s what they (the AFL) are doing. I don’t think at any stage he did anything wrong. It was within five metres of the ball, he didn’t jump off the ground, he planted his foot, he hit him wth a hip and shoulder, everything was perfect about that.”

McGuire says it doesn’t end with the Pickett incident.

He also believes Rowbottom was extremely unlucky to cop a one-match sanction for an accidental head clash with Essendon’s Zach Merrett.

“The other one that went to the Tribunal, James Rowbottom,” McGuire continued.

“He actually gets pushed by his teammate, he’s off balance, Merrett dropped the ball and they clashed heads.

“In one-25th of a second, what is he supposed to do? Get a pole vault and go over the top of him? Pushed, didn’t put his arms up, had a head clash and he’s rolling his body even out of reflex to get out of the way of it.

“What else could he do? This is a kid who has never been reported, not even (from) the under-11s in his entire career.”

Matthew Lloyd chimed in: “If you hit them in the head when you could have had an alternative, you get a week.”

McGuire replied: “What was his alternative there? Not go for the ball?

“You would have put him on Sunday morning, saying have a look at this bloke, didn’t go for the ball, he didn’t do this.

“Merrett dropped the ball, it went sideways, what do you reckon he’s going to do? How do you deviate when he’s off balance and he got pushed?

“It was incidental contact, there was nothing he could do.

“It was enough to get rubbed out.”

In conclusion, McGuire feels the physical nature of the game is being lost and that the sanitisation has simply “gone too far”.

“We’re losing the physicality,” he said.

“I’m not promulgating this, but you asked me a simple question about why are people are starting to get the brace and bits with the game and not want to go, that’s part of it.

“It’s gone too far.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/05/19/its-gone-too-far-mcguire-concerned-about-sanitisation-of-the-game/

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #503 on: May 19, 2022, 01:49:10 PM »
Eddie is absolutely 100% correct.  :clapping

Interesting now that Eddie is not President of the Pies anymore that he has taken a more holistic view of the health of the game.

We need folks like him with some significant influence to continue to tell the AFL how much they've f'd the game.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #504 on: May 19, 2022, 11:01:08 PM »
Agree with Eddie. It's the inconsistency of the rules and MRO/tribunal that is ticking fans off. Pickett is suspended for what's been a football act for 160 years where no one got hurt yet Liam Ryan receives the exact same punishment for ignoring and running past the ball and bumping a player in the head who was bending over trying to pick up the ball. You could break someone's neck doing that. Bowey put his hands straight to his face because of the hit to his head whereas Moore didn't show any sign he was hit high.

https://www.afl.com.au/video/762270/ryan-in-hot-water-after-brutal-bump-on-young-dee

Interestingly, Eddie also said Pickett should have copped 2 weeks for some other incident (not sure if it was from the same match) which Marlion didn't get rubbed out for but they didn't have time to show it. Can anyone think of or remember the Pickett incident Eddie was referring to?  :huh
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #505 on: May 20, 2022, 06:24:11 PM »
BANNED TIGER’S BUMP THE “PERFECT EXAMPLE” FOR MORE FINES

By Alex Zaia
SEN
20 May 2022

Marlion Pickett’s bump is the “perfect example” for a larger fine to be handed out instead of a suspension, according to SEN host Dwayne Russell.

Pickett will miss Richmond’s annual Dreamtime at the ‘G clash against Essendon on Saturday night after failing to overturn his one-match ban for rough conduct at the AFL Tribunal earlier this week.

The Match Review Officer graded Pickett’s bump on Hawthorn’s Dylan Moore as careless conduct with medium impact and high contact. The Tigers unsuccessfully attempted to downgrade the incident from medium to low impact.

Russell says a bigger fine would’ve sufficed for a “football act” that didn’t injure the player.

“I’m in the minority with this view,” he told SEN’s Dwayne’s World.

“But I believe there should be more fines and larger fines for AFL players, rather than keeping suspending players.

“It hit home again this week to me when Marlion Pickett was suspended. I think this is the perfect example – the Marlion Pickett one-game suspension – that a $5000 or a $7000 or a $10,000 fine rather than a one-game suspension would’ve been the better way to go.

“Marlion Pickett’s action wasn’t violent, it was a football act, it didn’t injure the player that he ran into, the player he ran into is playing this week, he just accidentally made contact that caused a whiplash effect, and the player wasn’t injured from it.

Subscribe to the SEN YouTube channel for the latest videos!

“I think there needs to be a sanction for it, 100 per cent there needs to be a sanction for it, but if the fines were bigger, he’d be playing in Dreamtime at the ‘G tomorrow night for Richmond in the jumper he designed.

“Why do we want players suspended all the time? It’s amazing to me when they don’t injure anybody, and they don’t do something that’s outside of being a football act.

“In the NBA and the NFL, and people hate it when I bring up American examples, but fines are huge in those competitions because they want their big-name drawcard players playing.

“It robs the fans, it robs the competition of the big stars.

“This to me would be the perfect example that if we had a fines system that allowed a bigger fine for Marlion Pickett, he might’ve been able to play this Saturday instead of sitting on the sideline for an incident that I think was a football act, wasn’t violent, and didn’t cause an injury.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/05/20/banned-tigers-bump-the-perfect-example-for-more-fines/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Marlion Pickett [merged]
« Reply #506 on: May 31, 2022, 06:59:01 AM »
Robbo on AFL360 said he couldn't understand how Marlion got a week for a fractionally mistimed footy act (shepherd) while Buddy at worst will receive the same punishment for a non footy act in hitting Cotch in the jaw. Robbo reckons the fairer punishment should've been Pickett copping a fine while Buddy should cop his week.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #507 on: June 01, 2022, 02:14:26 PM »
Leigh Matthews finds it a bit odd that Lance Franklin has been given the same penalty that Richmond’s Marlion Pickett received a few weeks ago.

“I wouldn’t think so (him getting off), with intentional as opposed to careless,” he said on Sportsday.

“What is interesting is Buddy has currently got a week for close enough to a punch - it was half a punch, half a shove - and Marlion Pickett got a week for a shepherd that went slightly high. I agree with that principle.

“It just doesn’t seem right that there’s the same (penalty for the) offense.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/05/31/it-just-doesnt-seem-right-matthews-questions-sydneys-franklin-defence/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #508 on: June 17, 2022, 05:58:49 PM »
I love this video so much. Cripps has spent the last few years bullying our midfield, until he tried to stiff arm the wrong Tiger last night. Shades of Hogan body slamming Andre…

https://twitter.com/Richmond_TT/status/1537655589387763712

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #509 on: June 17, 2022, 06:06:52 PM »
Awesome!