Author Topic: Marlion Pickett [merged]  (Read 156698 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Marlion Pickett [merged]
« Reply #915 on: July 24, 2024, 11:34:37 PM »
Richmond Tigers AFL player Marlion Pickett intending to plead not guilty to burglary charges

By David Weber
ABC
24 July 2024

AFL footballer Marlion Pickett is intending to plead not guilty to multiple charges including burglary and criminal damage in a Perth court next week.

The Richmond player is facing a dozen charges related to alleged offences in late 2022 and January last year.

Police allege the 32-year-old was involved in burglaries on commercial properties in the Perth suburbs of Beechboro and Girrawheen, as well as rural towns Bindoon and Beverley.

Mr Pickett's lawyer David Manera appeared on behalf of his client in Perth Magistrates Court this morning.

Outside court, Mr Manera told the ABC that pleas of 'not guilty' will be entered in the Magistrates Court, before the matter is referred to the District Court on August 1.

Full article: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-07-24/richmond-tigers-marlion-pickett-to-plea-not-guilty-burglary/104136378

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #916 on: August 01, 2024, 03:33:07 PM »
AFL star Marlion Pickett pleads not guilty to stealing more than $380,000 in Perth

By Rebecca Peppiatt
August 1, 2024 — 12.34pm

Richmond player Marlion Pickett will face trial over allegations he was involved in stealing more than $380,000 in a spate of commercial burglaries across Perth last summer after pleading not guilty on Thursday.

The 32-year-old is facing 12 charges including stealing, criminal damage to a property and aggravated burglary after police alleged Pickett and his brother-in-law, along with four other co-accused, targeted businesses in Perth and the northern suburbs of Nollamara, Girrawheen and Beechboro, and the regional town of Beverley, between December 2022 and January 2023, taking money from safes.

On one occasion, $325,000 was allegedly taken from a currency exchange.

After Pickett was charged, prosecutors alleged he was tied to the crimes because his phone “pinged” near one of the burglary locations at the time the offence was being committed.

It was also alleged a campervan that was used to transfer some money interstate was rented in his name, and that he purchased clothing worn by the offenders.

Pickett then allegedly received payments of $6000 and $9000 into his bank account.

During his bail application last year, Pickett’s defence lawyer David Manera said the case against his client was weak.

Since then Pickett has not made any appearances at court in person and on Thursday his lawyer formally entered his pleas of not guilty to all of the charges on his behalf.

The matters will now proceed to the Perth District Court and be prepared for a trial.

Pickett has been given special bail conditions that allow him to continue his football commitments inter-state, and he has been supported by the club.

He was selected by Richmond in the 2019 mid-season draft and made his debut in the 2019 grand final, becoming a premiership player and Richmond life member after just one game. He has now played 90 games.

His matter will next be heard Perth District Court on October 11.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/western-australia/afl-star-marlion-pickett-pleads-not-guilty-to-stealing-more-than-380-000-in-perth-20240801-p5jyep.html
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #917 on: August 21, 2024, 09:40:47 PM »
Word is he's about to pull to pin....so almost certain his kids will all be guns now.... :facepalm

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #918 on: August 21, 2024, 11:44:09 PM »
90 games.

Come on just sign him for 1 stuffing year. He can be a sub

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #919 on: August 22, 2024, 07:22:40 AM »
90 games.

So the Club should re-sign him in the hope his kids are going to turn out to be gun players. That's assuming of course they want to play footy.

He's what? 32? Been injured for the 2nd half of the year, prior to that was playing some very average and dare I say it at times selfish footy and we're at the start of a rebuild but let's give a contract just in case

Massive pass from me.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #920 on: August 22, 2024, 08:01:28 AM »
90 games.

So the Club should re-sign him in the hope his kids are going to turn out to be gun players. That's assuming of course they want to play footy.

He's what? 32? Been injured for the 2nd half of the year, prior to that was playing some very average and dare I say it at times selfish footy and we're at the start of a rebuild but let's give a contract just in case

Massive pass from me.
100% agree

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #921 on: August 22, 2024, 08:23:06 AM »
90 games.

Massive pass from me.

Terrible attitude. We can’t play all, kids ever week. They’ll get slaughtered

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #922 on: August 22, 2024, 09:17:56 AM »
90 games.

Massive pass from me.

Agree Knighter
I’d have him back on a one year for sure

Need some mature bodies

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #923 on: August 22, 2024, 10:08:29 AM »
90 games.

Massive pass from me.

this. also we have a great opportunity to get him to 100. FFS we signed Naismith for a year and look what he produced

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #924 on: August 22, 2024, 10:16:24 AM »
90 games.

Massive pass from me.

Agree Knighter
I’d have him back on a one year for sure

Need some mature bodies

Yep. Already seeing the back of Grimes and Dusty.

Likely players trading or leaving.

No harm in Pickett playing 1 more year.

Most players have had a crap year.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #925 on: August 22, 2024, 10:25:33 AM »
Confirmed on RFC website Marlion is retiring

Will play his final game this Saturday

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #926 on: August 22, 2024, 10:27:01 AM »
 :thumbsdown

likely pushed out by a few people at the top.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #927 on: August 22, 2024, 10:28:30 AM »
Pickett set for MCG farewell to storied six-year AFL career

Marlion Pickett will play his final AFL match against Gold Coast at the MCG on Saturday.

By Richmond Media
1 hr ago

Marlion Pickett will conclude his six-year AFL career following Saturday’s game against Gold Coast at the MCG.

The 32-year-old thanked the people that told him to “stick with it” when he was ready to give up on his AFL dream.

“It’s been a good journey... I did not even think I was ever going to get drafted,” he said.

“To be drafted in black and yellow is an honour and to wear it is even more special.

“My past and the way I grew up is different to everyone else’s and it was not easy to get drafted. I got overlooked for six or seven years and 2019 I was about to quit all my dreams.

“I had some people in my corner, and they told me to stick at it… They told me just to give it another year.

“Five years it felt like 10 years… but the sweat, blood and tears it was a pleasure and doing it with the bunch of guys it was really special.

“I am so proud to be a Richmond Man, and I am going to miss the footy.”

Pickett thanked a spate of Richmond officials and teammates in his retirement speech for their love and support.

“There have been some really special people come through, and it has made my journey a bit easier.

"The sacrifices that we made to come across... it was all worth it.”

Pickett has played 90 games at the top level after Richmond selected him in the 2019 Mid-Season Rookie Draft as a 27-year-old from South Fremantle.

The West Australian famously made his AFL debut in that year’s Grand Final, gathering 22 disposals, kicking a goal, and polling Norm Smith Medal votes as Richmond won the premiership.

Pickett, who had also claimed the Norm Goss Medal just six days prior for best on ground in the Tigers’ 2019 VFL premiership, then backed up his heroics to play 19 of a possible 21 games in 2020.

Having made his debut as an inside midfielder, Pickett found a permanent role in the side as a wingman throughout that campaign and won his second premiership in as many seasons.

Pickett was a mainstay in the AFL team across the next two years, playing on the wing, and finished 7th in the 2022 Jack Dyer Medal as the Tigers qualified for another finals campaign.

The versatile Pickett then played a career-high 21 games in 2023, including at times as an undersized key forward and ruck, highlighting his competitiveness and natural ability.

Pickett did not miss a game for the Tigers across the opening 12 matches this year before a calf injury against Geelong saw him spend time on the sidelines.

Having got through two VFL matches, Pickett will play his first AFL game since the injury this weekend.

The proud Indigenous man who was the designer of Richmond’s 2022 Dreamtime jumper also contributed to the Club’s Korin Gamadji Institute during his time at Richmond, working with Indigenous youth.

Richmond General Manager- Football Talent Blair Hartley congratulated Pickett on his AFL career.

“Marlion arrived at the club mid-way through 2019, along the way, he has made great sacrifices and worked through adversity to carve out his career here at Richmond,” he said.

“He is a team-first individual who always puts others before himself and has played a significant role in multiple positions for the club, standing up in big moments in big games.  Always with minimum fuss and great care for his teammates and the Richmond Football Club.

“Marlion retires a two-time premiership player, which is a fantastic achievement. His uncompromising approach and hardness around the ball is something he will be remembered for. 

“We would like to wish Marlion all the best with the next phase of his life along with his partner Jess along with Marlion Jnr, Latrell, Shaniqua, and Levi.

“Marlion is a true Richmond Man.”

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1635485/pickett-set-for-mcg-farewell-to-storied-six-year-afl-career
« Last Edit: August 22, 2024, 11:25:22 AM by WilliamPowell »

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #928 on: August 22, 2024, 10:29:29 AM »
:thumbsdown

likely pushed out by a few people at the top.

That's an incredible conspiracy theory Frankie

But from what I've heard, no his choice but whatever

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #929 on: August 22, 2024, 11:33:41 AM »
Shame but congrats Marlion.