Author Topic: Terrible news: RIP Spud Frawley  (Read 2111 times)

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Terrible news: RIP Spud Frawley
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2019, 10:36:17 PM »
Spud led Richmond to some wonderful wins over Carlton - back when that meant something.

Remember when we spoilt Silvanis 300th.😂😂
Unleash the tornado

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2019, 12:26:55 AM »
Probably haven't seen an outpouring of emotion since EJs passing all those years ago. 
A very sad time for family who I hope don't get hounded by journos so they have the chance to grieve. 
RIP Danny

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2019, 01:57:40 AM »
Classic one-liner sums up ‘Spud’

Matthew Richardson,
news.com.au

The following is an edited column Richmond great Matthew Richardson wrote for news.com.au in 2015. Frawley tragically died in a one-car crash west of Melbourne on Monday. Richardson’s anecdote sheds light on the type of character the St Kilda legend was.

It happened at Richmond in 2004. After making a prelim in 2001 we had some pretty lean years under Spud, culminating in a 14-game losing streak to finish the 2004 season.

I couldn’t tell you what game it was after but some time towards the end of the year I remember driving to the club on a Monday after another loss and sitting in traffic on Punt Road and really dreading what I’d find there.

There’d been a lot of speculation in the paper that day about Spud’s job and as I got closer to the club I could see the big aerials that sit on top of the media vans sticking up from the car park and immediately thought, “This isn’t a good sign, something’s going on.”

I made my way past the reporters and got into the club and the first thing on the agenda was a team meeting upstairs in the Graeme Richmond room. The whole team was in there, it was pretty tense and sombre, no one was saying much, but there was one glaring absence — Spud wasn’t there.

We waited about 15 minutes and finally we heard him walking up the stairs. I was looking down at my feet as he entered the room because you know you’re every chance to cop a spray if you make eye contact. When I looked up, Spud was standing up the front of the group and he had a compressor we used to pump up the footballs on the ground next to him.

We’re all starting to think, “Maybe Spud has lost the plot here, what the hell is he doing?” He just stood there and he was looking at us and then he slowly bent down, picked up the compressor and held it up above his head.

He kept looking around and then said fairly quietly, “What am I boys?” No one said anything. He waited another 10 or 20 seconds and then said a little bit louder, “What am I boys?” No one knew what to say, so no one said anything. So a third time, with the compressor still above his head, Spud really yelled it, “WHAT AM I BOYS?”

One of the young players who made the rookie error of sitting in the front row finally broke the silence and said, “I don’t know Spud, what are you?” And Spud replied: “I’M UNDER THE BLOODY PUMP!”

Everyone roared with laughter and it really eased the tension in the room, which was obviously his intention. It summed up Spud as a character — he could always find a bit of humour in the most dire situation. It didn’t help him in the long run — later in the season he announced he was going to resign at the end of the year — but I’ll never forget that classic one-liner.

It might not have changed anything but there was a bit of method in Spud’s madness that day at Richmond. Sometimes it doesn’t hurt to get a bit of humour in the place.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/matthew-richardson-recalls-afl-legend-danny-frawleys-hilarious-oneliner/news-story/e97d23d566ef8642f7cec0098a3106dd

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2019, 11:08:09 AM »
RIP Spud

A shock loss to a man who gave so much to the community.
If only he knew the outpouring of grief from the community who loved him dearly.
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2019, 12:13:45 PM »
Vale Danny Frawley
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2019, 07:04:46 PM »
Tributes to Frawley on SEN from Cambo, Bowden & Benny Gale. 

Cambo: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=423458

Bowden: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=423618

Benny Gale: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=423705

Terry Wallace spoke about how he and Spud made their peace opening up over text messages and a phone call: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=423610

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2019, 05:42:47 PM »
What Spud said to Richo on his Tigers debut

By Andrew Slevison
SEN
12 Sep 2019

Former Richmond star Matthew Richardson remembers his AFL debut vividly.

It was in Round 7, 1993, Richmond versus St Kilda at the MCG when a skinny young ‘Richo’ stepped out onto the ground for the first time.

Playing on him was the great Danny Frawley who was quick with a message for the fledgling Tiger.

“I actually played on Danny in my very first game of AFL footy and then he ended up being my coach,” Richardson recalled on Sportsday.

“Danny was a legendary figure. He was the State full-back, captain of St Kilda, he was a big man, the big spud farmer and I was a skinny rake from Tassie.

“I was petrified. I remembered I’ve just got to use my running ability here because it might be one thing I’ve got over him, I’m not getting into any physical tangles with Spud.

“After about 20 minutes, Danny’s tongue was hanging out a bit and he came up to me at a stoppage and whispered into my ear, ‘If you keep running like that young fella, I’m gonna knock your head off’.

“So I kept running a little bit more, didn’t I?”

Richardson would then play under ‘Spud’ at Richmond between 2000 and 2004. He recalls how the coach endeared himself to the playing group.

“We used to do these runs called junk runs. We’d run off into the Botanical Gardens and there was no rhyme or reason to them, you’d just run,” he added.

“The little added spice was that Danny would come with us. So you’d be running through the gardens and Spud would jump out from behind a tree or a shrub and he’d wrestle you.

“He’d wrestle you to the ground for a minute or 90 seconds. Then you’d have to get up and run again. It was all about trying to duplicate that physicality of game day.

“He did it all with us and he really respected him for that. As a coach he came out and did the hard work with us.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/09/11/what-spud-said-to-richo-on-his-tigers-debut/

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2019, 08:28:12 PM »
Reading what Anita has said today, it's such a cruel illness. Just so terribly sad. RIP Danny.

What an amazingly brave and selfless woman that despite her own grief she is thinking of other people at this time who are dealing with depression as well as going public revealing intimate family details to help educate the rest of society about the illness. It takes a whole load of courage to do that.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd