Author Topic: Richmond vs GWS @ the M.C.G. --- 2019 GRAND FINAL  (Read 34564 times)

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richmond vs GWS @ the M.C.G. --- 2019 GRAND FINAL
« Reply #240 on: October 14, 2019, 05:13:51 AM »
92 points :shh
Would be sweeter if it was 93 points.

So you'd prefer to either lose the qualifying final or finish outside the Top 4? :shh :shh
Would be incredible to finish outside the top 4, watch their supporters strut around GF week thinking they have our measure and then we flog them in the GF.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #241 on: October 14, 2019, 10:03:29 AM »
Not bad for a "middling list"...  :lol

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #242 on: October 14, 2019, 10:31:41 AM »
A team with plenty of half glass full types

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #243 on: October 14, 2019, 10:40:06 AM »
With backs as soft as butter with a dud on the sidelines......
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #244 on: October 14, 2019, 11:06:42 AM »
Richmond’s 2019 premiership team was the most experienced in terms of total games played of all the flag-winning sides in Tigerland history.

And the average age of this year’s premiership line-up was 26 years, 176 days, which makes it the third oldest, behind the 1934 team (26 years, 282 days) and the 1921 side (26 years, 336 days).

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2019-10-11/seasoned-tigers-savour-september-success

This really surprises me, especially when there are a handful of blokes with very few games to their name before the GF.

Pickett with 0
Soldo 21
Baker 21
Bolton 27

Then Broad with 53.

Succession planning seems to be going well though, so I don't necessarily predict a huge spike in 'average age' or 'average games' per player over the next 2-3 years. Which if you are one for metrics would suggest we are still well and truly in the window before we go over the cliff...

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #245 on: October 14, 2019, 11:31:55 AM »
Worst fantasy football team ever
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #246 on: November 03, 2019, 03:35:00 PM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #248 on: November 22, 2019, 04:44:33 PM »
Still an amazing fact that 1/3 of our premiership team this year weren't picked up in the main national draft.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2019-11-21/tiger-talent-scouts-time-to-shine-again

The ability of the Richmond recruiters to find ‘hidden gems’ should engender plenty of confidence among Yellow and Black barrackers for next week’s AFL national and rookie drafts.

Emphatic evidence of this is the fact that the Tigers’ 2019 premiership team included seven players who weren’t even national draft selections, and another one that was taken at pick 67 overall in the national draft.

Dylan Grimes was the Club’s first pick (No. 2 overall) in the 2010 pre-season draft, Jayden Short, Jason Castagna, Kane Lambert and Ivan Soldo were all 2015 rookie draft selections, Nathan Broad was that pick 67 in the 2016 national draft, Liam Baker was a 2018 rookie draft choice, while Marlion Pickett landed at Tigerland via the competition’s reintroduced mid-season draft this year.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #249 on: December 07, 2019, 04:28:23 PM »
‘There are no scars’: GWS regroup for another shot at glory

Jamie Pandaram
The Daily Telegraph
December 7, 2019

It’s 5.05pm on September 28 at the MCG. The scoreboard reads Richmond 114 GWS 25.

Utter dejection.

Coniglio never made it onto the field. He gave up the Wednesday before, and watched in his suit.

“Being on the field with Richmond after the game,” Coniglio identifies as the most profound football moment this year.

“I had a couple of close friends play for them, having chats post grand final about their love for each other, even Dusty (Martin) – he wins the Norm Smith Medal then puts it under his top straight away and just has his premiership medal – little things like that you can’t help but admire.

“It makes you envious, not in a bad way, but you just want that for us.”

Davis played after passing a last-minute fitness test on the ground moments before kick-off.

But after his rival, Jack Riewoldt, kicked five goals alone in the match, Davis was labelled “a liability” for the Giants by some commentators.

“They don’t know what I did from 8pm the Saturday before to 2pm grand final day, how I felt, anything like that,” Davis said.

“There were certain markers I had to hit, we were very strategic and objective in what I had to do to play, and I felt really good.

“Did I play as well as I wanted to? Probably not. Did I think my body hampered me from doing what I needed to do to be part of a winning team? No.

“I still maintain my decision was the right one. I’m very content with that.”

Giants coach Leon Cameron, having taken the eight-year-old club to its fourth finals series in as many years, knew their first grand final was over by the third quarter as the Tigers romped through his team, also missing co-captain Callan Ward due to injury.

“I understand Richmond were the better team. But I don’t think they were that much better than us." - Phil Davis.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/gws-giants-return-to-training-after-dashed-finals-dream/news-story/89bd385672046451ccbc2dd3aa84309b

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #250 on: December 07, 2019, 06:45:13 PM »

“Being on the field with Richmond after the game,” Coniglio identifies as the most profound football moment this year.

“I had a couple of close friends play for them, having chats post grand final about their love for each other, even Dusty (Martin) – he wins the Norm Smith Medal then puts it under his top straight away and just has his premiership medal – little things like that you can’t help but admire.

Dusty is truly a champion.

:cheers

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #251 on: December 07, 2019, 09:33:14 PM »

Dusty is truly a champion.

:cheers

yep
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #252 on: December 08, 2019, 10:34:42 PM »
“I understand Richmond were the better team. But I don’t think they were that much better than us." - Phil Davis.

What?

Offline Tiger Tragic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #253 on: December 08, 2019, 10:55:25 PM »

What?

Surely the came from an interview at qtr time??!!

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #254 on: December 09, 2019, 08:33:41 AM »
Taken out of context

He meant that he didn’t think we were the better team by what the margin indicated

He was referring to pre game, not how the game played out

We aren’t a 15 goal better side than GWS, we just happened to destroy them the day it mattered