Author Topic: Where does Dusty sit amongst the Tiger greats?  (Read 1196 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Where does Dusty sit amongst the Tiger greats?
« on: October 15, 2019, 06:38:02 PM »
Where does Dusty sit amongst the Tiger greats? Has he broken into our top 5 according to Robbo?

There’s five at the Tigers in rare air — Jack Dyer, Kevin Bartlett, Royce Hart, Ian Stewart and Jack “Skinny’’ Titus — and Martin might’ve jumped ahead of the likes of Francis Bourke, Roger Dean and Vic Thorp, all Richmond “Immortals’’. - Robbo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It’s possible Dustin Martin could end his career as Richmond’s greatest player.

Ask Royce Hart, and he says there’s still an “if’’.

“If he can win another couple of premierships, and it’s on the cards, you never know where he’s going to be rated,’’ Hart said.

Could he the greatest?

“I don’t know, it’s not me to judge. He’s certainly done No.4 proud, I’ll say that.’’

Martin is 28, has played 224 games — and maybe has another 140 games in him — is a two-time premiership player, two-time Norm Smith medallist, has a Brownlow, an AFL MVP and two best-and-fairest awards.

Already, he has joined Gary Ablett, Michael Voss, Chris Judd and Lance Franklin as the pre-eminent AFL players of the century.

Unquestionably, he is being spoken of as Richmond royalty.

There’s five at the Tigers in rare air — Jack Dyer, Kevin Bartlett, Hart, Ian Stewart and Jack “Skinny’’ Titus — and Martin might’ve jumped ahead of the likes of Francis Bourke, Roger Dean and Vic Thorp, all Richmond “Immortals’’.

Yep, he had that kind of season, and it’s why he’s No.1 in this year’s Top 50.

Others might have had more consistent seasons, but no other was able to once again deliver big time in finals.

He kicked six goals in the first final against Brisbane, four goals and the Norm Smith in the Grand Final and 12 goals overall through the finals series.

Nat Fyfe had a terrific season, the Patricks — Dangerfield and Cripps — were often breathtaking and Marcus Bontempelli sublime, yet Martin just gets it done when it matters most.

Hart, also the wearer of the No.4 at Tigerland, says Martin stands above them, and every other player since 1966, in one category.

“The best thing about him, and I don’t think they highlight it enough, but I reckon he’s the best disposal of the ball, by hand and foot, I’ve seen in my time in football.’’

That’s 53 seasons for Hart.

“I saw the Farmers, the Williams, the Barassis and Skiltons, and if you took statistics on what he does with the ball, you’d find by hand and foot he’d have the best percentage of effective kicks and handball of anyone.

“He’s got a big rap on him for his ability to shrug players who are trying to tackle him, but if you look at what he does when he has the ball, it’s always to advantage.

“A lot of players these days, in my opinion, half their stats are handballs and kicks to get themselves out of trouble ... ineffective.’’

Hart naturally loves Martin the forward more than Martin the midfielder.

This year, Martin spent 43 per cent of game time up forward and 57 per cent in the midfield, which was a significantly up compared to his 2017 and 2018 seasons, when the split was 29 per cent forward and 71 per cent midfield.

“I said to Mike Sheahan four years ago, I’d put Dusty at centre half-forward,’’ Hart said.

“He’s exactly the same height and weight (as I was) when I played.

“He’s an effective goalkicker, which adds to his bag of tricks.

“But he’s certainly the best user of the ball that I’ve seen.

“I’m not saying he’s as good as Greg Williams at handball or Polly (Farmer) at handball, and (Bob) Skilton was very good with both left and right feet, and Stewie (Ian Stewart) was magnificent, but to go forward and be that effective.’’

Dusty’s a crowd-puller, Hart said.

“I think it’s about race horses and Winx, people go and see them, and in football, they go see players who are worthwhile, and he’s in that class.

“He’s what footy needs.

“And with Richmond winning two out of three, he’s gone into a different league compared to other players.’’

Source: Herald-Sun

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Where does Dusty sit amongst the Tiger greats?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 08:36:36 PM »
I love that we can have this friendly debate. Martin is an absolute legend and we are so lucky we can unleash him and watch oppositions poo them selves

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 09:04:29 PM »
3rd behing Royce & KB

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 09:11:14 PM »
Really hard for me to say, born 1988 so I didn't really see any of the ones before.

I'll ask my old man but he will never say anyone was better than Hart haha

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 09:27:07 PM »
Was 12 when KB retired so I'd say Martin is the best that I can clearly remember seeing live at their peak and without requiring the reviewing of old grainy footage... :shh

In fact I place him right up amongst Carey, both Abletts, Lockett, Dunstall and Franklin....and better than Judd... :shh
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 09:58:24 PM by Diocletian »
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 10:26:26 PM »
Was 12 when KB retired so I'd say Martin is the best that I can clearly remember seeing live at their peak and without requiring the reviewing of old grainy footage... :shh

In fact I place him right up amongst Carey, both Abletts, Lockett, Dunstall and Franklin....and better than Judd... :shh

The best big time player I think in the time I’ve been watching football
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 11:14:22 PM »
I've seen them all and they all have special gifts.

Dusty has strength and speed in those first few steps and is easily the best field kick of the lot when he is "on". It is just remarkable how he performs on the big stage.

KB had the uncanny ability to run all day with genuine pace and just kept on racking up possessions. Also one of the best finals players ever. Went forward later in his career and was just so crafty with his reading the ball off the hands of packs and was a great shot for goal. Who could forget his 1980 finals series where he kicked 6, 8 and 7 goals in the 3 games we played?

Royce was also a great finals player and obviously the best mark of the 3. Rarely beaten and like Dusty would lift his side with his individual brilliance. Obviously a KPP and so difficult to compare directly with all 3.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 11:49:38 PM »
Would Ian Stewart really be considered in the top 5 all time at Richmond? I know he won a flag and a Brownlow while playing for the club but he played less than 80 games here.

All these guys are well before my time but I had always thought from reading about the history that Titus, Dyer, Hart, Bourke and Bartlett were considered the 5 greatest tigers.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 12:19:15 AM by Tiger Khosh »

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 06:55:51 AM »
I don't really remember Hart but remember KB. KB was simply brilliant

The one not really being mentioned and the best I've seen in my lifetime (so far) is Maurice Rioli. What a gun, what a champion

Dusty is closing in but right now for me Mr Magic is the best and greatest I've had the pleasure to see play
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 11:34:49 AM »
If we're talking about non-premiership Tigers now then it's easily Maurice followed by Richo ahead of daylight to...oh I dunno, probably Knights... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2019, 10:50:43 PM »
Still a lot of water to go under the bridge. But he's well and truly on the way.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.