Author Topic: How Should we draft at years end?  (Read 1271 times)

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
How Should we draft at years end?
« on: April 17, 2006, 10:04:01 AM »
IMO we should draft another 5 kids: 2 talls, 2 mids and a ruckman/foward
Assuming we get a priority pick and finish bottom 3 i hope for our draft to pan out like this

1st round pick (1-3): Sellar, Hansen, Thorp, Gumbleton
Sellar and Gumbleton seem the dominant match-winning key fowards and both Hansen and Thorp are incredibly versatile and talented talls. We really need a dominant KPP, these 4 seem to be the 4 dominant talls in this years draft, and getting one of them is a must. Even if Gibbs is available, one of these 4 must be taken with our 1st pick

Priority Pick (17-19): Jack Riewoldt, Leroy Jetta, Albert Proud
Riewoldt is a tall foward who provides a good all round package (pace, smarts and skills), and i would be very happy with picking him up around here. Both Jetta and Proud are similar players with very good pace (particularly Jetta) and very good skills. These two may probably slide to around here because of their lack of height.

2nd Round pick (20-22): Shaun Grigg, Clinton Benjamin, Bachar Houli
Would love to get either Grigg or Benjamin. Seriously spewing we didn't take Griggs last year. I am a big fan of Bejamin and his blistering pace. Plays as a foward but could develop into a midfielder with his sizzling pace. I'm drooling at the prospect of having Bling, Lids, JON and Benjamin running around our midfield. Bachar Houli is another highly rated midfield type much like Proud.

3rd round pick (36-38): A ruckman/foward maybe Ed wilson or jesse white
Not to sure about any ruckman but someone who can fit the bill as a ruckman who can play as a foward (think Longmuir, Seaby, Lade, Simmo) would be perfect here.

4th round pick (52-54): Ryan Anderson, midfielders 185cm+ and with good pace
I'm going to be Ando's advocate this year. I go the same school with him, and whenever i get the oppurtunity i go watch him play for the 1sts. He has unbelivable pace, a strong work ethic and a neat set of skills. The one thing holding him back IMO is his lack of height.

In a perfect world we will have Hansen, Riewoldt, Benjamin, quality ruckman/foward and Anderson on our senior list by years end. Hard but not impossible.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: How Should we draft at years end?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 04:32:41 PM »
I heard something on the tv the other day about a Cyril Rioli - anyone know anything about him?  Is he Maurice's son or Dean's brother?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 04:47:48 PM »
Good post bluey  :clapping.

I heard this recently from someone but it's not a bad rule to follow IMO. Unless the kid is a (future) gun midfielder who will slot into the midfield within a year (Lids, Griffen, Judd, etc) then you always go for the KPP (young talented CHF) with a top 5-10 pick.

As well as those picks we need to do our best to trade for another first rounder or two as we did in the 2004 draft. A bonus if we can score another one in the top 10. 4 picks in the top 20 in what is claimed to be a super draft is what we should be chasing after. As Wallace said we need to add quality and alot of it before we can move forward.   
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 05:12:03 PM »
I heard something on the tv the other day about a Cyril Rioli - anyone know anything about him?  Is he Maurice's son or Dean's brother?

Maurice's nephew Julz.

Rioli is on the right.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/afl/scotch-boys-dream-time/2005/08/03/1122748697756.html

I think Jonathan Lee who plays for the Bendigo Pioneers in the TAC Cup might be Mark Lee's son.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Captain__Blood

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 05:54:35 PM »
They'd (Seller/Hansen and co) would want to be pretty bloody good to take instead of Gibbs if we have pick 1.

(& he isn't taken by Adelaide)

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 02:04:40 PM »
Good smokie for us around R2- Jackson Sheringham. If we get a 2nd round priority and Clinton Benjamin and Jack Sheringham are still available and dont get picked by us It will be diabolical selections again.

Offline Captain__Blood

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 02:12:51 PM »
Cracking thread by the way.

Keep it going right up to the draft.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 07:50:42 PM »
Good smokie for us around R2- Jackson Sheringham. If we get a 2nd round priority and Clinton Benjamin and Jack Sheringham are still available and dont get picked by us It will be diabolical selections again.

Remember the good old times  :rollin :lol

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 09:30:40 PM »
IMO we should draft another 5 kids: 2 talls, 2 mids and a ruckman/foward
Assuming we get a priority pick and finish bottom 3 i hope for our draft to pan out like this

Priority Pick (17-19): Jack Riewoldt, Leroy Jetta, Albert Proud
Riewoldt is a tall foward who provides a good all round package (pace, smarts and skills), and i would be very happy with picking him up around here. Both Jetta and Proud are similar players with very good pace (particularly Jetta) and very good skills. These two may probably slide to around here because of their lack of height.

Scratch out Riewoldt cos he's unlikely to drop that far and write in Ben Reid. The profile on Reid on the Bigpond footy forum was super impressice. Smart, atheletic, tall, vesatile and extremely bottom aged.