Author Topic: 2020 coaching changes  (Read 1737 times)

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
2020 coaching changes
« on: November 07, 2019, 06:26:32 PM »
Mcqualter back to the midfield looking after ball movement replacing caracella.

Fly promoted to AFL team as forwards coach.

X clarke to take the reigns of the vfl team.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: 2020 coaching changes
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 07:22:12 PM »
Richmond finalise AFL coaching structure

Richmondfc.com.au

Nov 7, 2019 6:11PM

Richmond has finalised its coaching structure for 2020, with VFL premiership coach Craig McRae to move into the AFL program as a line coach.

McRae, who was awarded the AFLCA Assistant Coach of the Year and VFL Coach of the Year in 2019, will lead the Tigers’ forwards group.

Andrew McQualter, who this year oversaw the Tigers' forward line, will return to the midfield to assume responsibility for ball movement.

McQualter will work alongside Adam Kingsley who will continue his focus on stoppages.

Xavier Clarke will take the reins of the VFL team and will be assisted by Ryan Ferguson (backs) and Sam Lonergan (midfielders).

It is Clarke’s second top state league coaching role, having previously been senior coach at NT Thunder (2014-16) in the NEAFL, where he led the side to the 2015 premiership.

Ferguson will also pick up added responsibility in 2020 as a key resource for coaches within Richmond’s Next Generation Academy region. He will also oversee the programs and development of identified players from the area.

Justin Leppitsch will remain as the AFL Backs coach and Defensive Coordinator after an excellent season looking after the defence.

Richmond was the #1 defensive team in the AFL during their unbeaten post-bye run, conceding over 70 points just once.

Ivan Maric will continue in his ruck coaching role after a season which saw the emergence of Ivan Soldo, Mabior Chol and Callum Coleman-Jones.

Richmond Head of Coaching and Football Performance, Tim Livingstone said that the Club was incredibly proud of its team of coaches.

“Given their experience and strengths we know these changes will lead to further growth in both our players and the coaches themselves,” he said.

Richmond 2019 coaching structure:

Senior coach: Damien Hardwick
Assistant coach, backline/defence: Justin Leppitsch
Assistant coach, midfield/stoppage: Adam Kingsley
Assistant coach, midfield/offensive: Andrew McQualter
Assistant coach, forwards: Craig McRae
VFL & Development coach (forwards): Xavier Clarke
Development coach and VFL backline: Ryan Ferguson
Development coach and VFL midfield: Sam Lonergan
Ruck coach: Ivan Maric

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2019-11-07/coaching-announcement
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 08:48:16 PM »
Hard to argue with any of that. They've done an awesome job

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 09:22:56 PM »
I’m a little nervous about life after Caracalla but I will back the club on whatever they do on this

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 09:32:40 PM »
Yeah I'm nervous too. Who was midfield coach in charge of ball movement in 2016. I hope it wasn't McQualter as we were poo.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 10:33:32 PM »
Brendon Lade was the midfield & stoppages coach in '16  and Mark Williams (not Choco, the other one) was the offensive coach.. :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 10:35:04 PM »
Yeah I'm nervous too. Who was midfield coach in charge of ball movement in 2016. I hope it wasn't McQualter as we were poo.

mcqualter was the midfield stoppage in 17. If i recall he was just a development coach prior to that
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 11:53:22 PM »
I like the changes. Freshens up everyone.

Of course I would have preferred to keep Blake. The clubs philosophy is to pay all assistants the same pay. Once Essendon offered Blake a lot more than us, we were stuffed. Looking forwards to what X does with the VFL side.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2019, 07:43:37 AM »
I like the changes. Freshens up everyone.

Of course I would have preferred to keep Blake. The clubs philosophy is to pay all assistants the same pay. Once Essendon offered Blake a lot more than us, we were stuffed. Looking forwards to what X does with the VFL side.
Classic Essington. Just throw money at the problem and leverage a top class coach from a successful club.

For what it’s worth, I think we overrate Caracella. Not to say that he didn’t play an important part in our 17/19 flags, but some here were treating him as the messiah.

Guess we’ll find out next year how good he really was.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2019, 08:36:21 AM »
I thought our stoppage work in the last few rounds and finals was fantastic.  :shh
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2019, 12:05:07 PM »
I’m a little nervous about life after Caracalla but I will back the club on whatever they do on this
Don't forget even though he has our IP we have 2 years worth of his already ingrained into 40 players and all the coaches. I don't think this will affect us to much.