Author Topic: Thoughts on Coughlan?  (Read 2949 times)

letsgetiton!

Re: Thoughts on Coughlan?
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2006, 08:01:14 AM »
cogs does not need pace, he reads the game well. all he has to do is one thing! stop kicking hospital pass floaters and kick the ball so it travels in air quicker and not so hih. he must learn from lids , theres a kid who knows how to kick

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2006, 08:21:09 PM »
cogs does not need pace, he reads the game well. all he has to do is one thing! stop kicking hospital pass floaters and kick the ball so it travels in air quicker and not so high. he must learn from lids , theres a kid who knows how to kick

He tried hard today and puts his body in the contests and wins the footy which few others did today but yep his kicking let him down.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2006, 10:39:02 PM »
Cogs knows how to kick well, you only have to look at what he was doing in 2004. I think it's more he can't at the moment. He's lost penetration and power in his kicks and uses his left foot more than his right, often when he doesn't need to. My guess is he's got a physical restraint, probably from his pubic instability, and hope he can overcome it.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2006, 10:58:09 AM »
Cogs knows how to kick well, you only have to look at what he was doing in 2004. I think it's more he can't at the moment. He's lost penetration and power in his kicks and uses his left foot more than his right, often when he doesn't need to. My guess is he's got a physical restraint, probably from his pubic instability, and hope he can overcome it.
Or possibly a mental one

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2006, 09:50:09 PM »

He tried hard today and puts his body in the contests and wins the footy which few others did today but yep his kicking let him down.

He may have tried hard ( I know I found it very trying ;D) MT but I thought he was pretty ordinary yesterday.

He was given a job and that was in part to stop Goodes. IMV he gave Goodes (granted terrible match up) far too much freedom and it was very costly early in the game. ANd there was one instance in the 3rd where I almost jumped the fence (and this happened right in front of me) when he should have given off a h/ball straightaway (to Foley I think) and instead he tried to turn and weave (for what I'll never know) and ended up being tackled and as a result all the momentum we had in that play was gone because the h/ball came as he was being bought to the ground.

It was actually interesting to hear some of the comments from people around me - let's just say I wasn't the only one who was about to jump the fence  :banghead ;D :lol

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2006, 12:25:51 AM »
He may have tried hard ( I know I found it very trying ;D) MT but I thought he was pretty ordinary yesterday.

He was given a job and that was in part to stop Goodes. IMV he gave Goodes (granted terrible match up) far too much freedom and it was very costly early in the game. ANd there was one instance in the 3rd where I almost jumped the fence (and this happened right in front of me) when he should have given off a h/ball straightaway (to Foley I think) and instead he tried to turn and weave (for what I'll never know) and ended up being tackled and as a result all the momentum we had in that play was gone because the h/ball came as he was being bought to the ground.

It was actually interesting to hear some of the comments from people around me - let's just say I wasn't the only one who was about to jump the fence  :banghead ;D :lol

As well as our Krak critics lol, we had our Cogs critics near us too but most of the comments were about his poor passing - "you're better than that Coughlan". No feelings of jumping the fence though as we were up by the edge of the 3rd tier  ;D. As for slowness in moving the footy on, he wasn't alone there. All day we went back to the old rule for the kick-ins so everyone was manned up  :banghead and the classic one was Hyde being awarded a 50m penalty then just walking slowly down to the new mark allowing all the Swans to flood back when Richo was one out  :banghead. Geez we're a thick slow-thinking side  :scream.

I can forgive Cogs for Goodes as you would never do that mismatch-up normally. Missing 5 key defenders meant we were robbing Peter to pay Paul from the start as our entire structure was out of whack. Normally a job like that would have gone to one of them or Joel but Joel had to play FB in another mismatch on Barry Hall.

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2006, 07:29:14 PM »
I think that the mid-season break cant come quick enough for Cogs at the moment.  Might due for a spell either side of the break.

Matt White maybe a replacement player in the right game (eg. Freo at Subi)  ;)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2006, 12:57:38 AM »
I think that the mid-season break cant come quick enough for Cogs at the moment.  Might due for a spell either side of the break.

Is that a bit of goss you've heard DT?

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2006, 12:33:13 PM »

Is that a bit of goss you've heard DT?

Nah, just looking at the form lines, and the roles that Matt has been playing at the Burgers.  Cogs will need a rest very soon, the space of Subi has always tested him.  He got lucky with the match-up on Cousins, in that Cousins had the hammy twinge.

White's game style would suit Subi and the way Freo play, and he could handle a defensive & floating run-with role.