Author Topic: Has Richmond's off-field issues "infiltrated" their on-field performance? (SEN)  (Read 1143 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
HAS RICHMOND'S OFF-FIELD ISSUES "INFILTRATED" THEIR ON-FIELD PERFORMANCE?

BY SEN
5 October 2020

Richmond went down to Brisbane in Friday night’s Qualifying Final and Kane Cornes is wondering whether their undisciplined streak got the better of them.

The Tigers have been embroiled in a number of high-profile off-field incidents this year, the most notable seeing Sydney Stack and Callum Coleman-Jones sent home and slapped with a 10-game ban after they were caught breaking COVID protocols on the Gold Coast last month.

Richmond gave away four separate 50-metre penalties during the clash against the Lions and Cornes pondered whether their off-field streak affected the way they played the game.

“I think we have to talk about Richmond’s discipline,” he said on SEN’s Whateley.

“Have the off-field issues and discipline issues – and there’s been a number of them which we don’t need to go over again – infiltrated them on the field.

“Is it too long of a bow to draw to think that it has an impact but it’s not the first time they’ve had issues from the discipline point of view this year – we know the issues Tom Lynch has had and the game against Port Adelaide where they gave away double 50-metre penalties and Damien Hardwick showing his frustration.

“Then it comes out in a big final, where you give away four 50-metre penalties and a number of those leading to goals and the coach then saying at half-time that umpires are trigger happy … they were undisciplined.

“Would I have paid a couple of those free kicks? No. But they were suffering from discipline issues on the weekend and it’s something they’ll need to tighten up should they come to Adelaide (for a Preliminary Final) in a couple of weeks’ time to play Port Adelaide.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/10/04/has-richmonds-off-field-issues-infiltrated-their-on-field-performance/

Online torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
HAS RICHMOND'S OFF-FIELD ISSUES "INFILTRATED" THEIR ON-FIELD PERFORMANCE?

BY SEN
5 October 2020

Richmond went down to Brisbane in Friday night’s Qualifying Final and Kane Cornes is wondering whether their undisciplined streak got the better of them.

The Tigers have been embroiled in a number of high-profile off-field incidents this year, the most notable seeing Sydney Stack and Callum Coleman-Jones sent home and slapped with a 10-game ban after they were caught breaking COVID protocols on the Gold Coast last month.

Richmond gave away four separate 50-metre penalties during the clash against the Lions and Cornes pondered whether their off-field streak affected the way they played the game.

“I think we have to talk about Richmond’s discipline,” he said on SEN’s Whateley.

“Have the off-field issues and discipline issues – and there’s been a number of them which we don’t need to go over again – infiltrated them on the field.

“Is it too long of a bow to draw to think that it has an impact but it’s not the first time they’ve had issues from the discipline point of view this year – we know the issues Tom Lynch has had and the game against Port Adelaide where they gave away double 50-metre penalties and Damien Hardwick showing his frustration.

“Then it comes out in a big final, where you give away four 50-metre penalties and a number of those leading to goals and the coach then saying at half-time that umpires are trigger happy … they were undisciplined.

“Would I have paid a couple of those free kicks? No. But they were suffering from discipline issues on the weekend and it’s something they’ll need to tighten up should they come to Adelaide (for a Preliminary Final) in a couple of weeks’ time to play Port Adelaide.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/10/04/has-richmonds-off-field-issues-infiltrated-their-on-field-performance/

Hardwick is 100% right - "trigger happy" ...

Bolton - "Big O" gets him in a HEADLOCK and Bolton slams one hand on his chest, umpire blows whistle - 50m

Bolton - kicks the ball during the whistle being blown, Bolton, crowd is loud, in the moment kicks the ball, umpires blows whistle - 50m

Pickett - Zorko (IIRC) or "Hero" Robinson, go up to Pickett, talk smack to him and grab him, Pickett stands up to himself, decks him like he is nothing and plays for a free, umpire blows whistle - 50m

I can't remember the 4th 50 metre?

Edwards - takes the mark and Rich, "deliberately" extends hims arms to push him - umpire blows whistle - 50m

IMO - our 3 50's were harsh and "soft" from the umpires ...

"Tigger Happy"? I think so!

Undiscipline? ummm ... I reckon "targeted" and definitely "Tigger Happy with Richmond" ...

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond

Bolton - kicks the ball during the whistle being blown, Bolton, crowd is loud, in the moment kicks the ball, umpires blows whistle - 50m

I hate to break it to everyone but the umpire blew the whistle twice before Bolton kicked it, so it is a clear 50.

The 2nd Bolton incident involved a 2nd 50. First 50 against Bolton and then a 2nd one through the middle.

Undiscipline? ummm ... I reckon "targeted" and definitely "Tigger Happy with Richmond" ...

Giving away 4 fifties is undisciplined.

If the Coach says we were undisciplined then we were undisciplined
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks

If the Coach says we were undisciplined then we were undisciplined

In the coach we trust.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Bolton - "Big O" gets him in a HEADLOCK and Bolton slams one hand on his chest, umpire blows whistle - 50m

Pickett - Zorko (IIRC) or "Hero" Robinson, go up to Pickett, talk smack to him and grab him, Pickett stands up to himself, decks him like he is nothing and plays for a free, umpire blows whistle - 50m

Dusty's ruck infringement against McInerney at a forward stoppage then the 50 for him snapping at goal as well.

Online torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯

Dusty's ruck infringement against McInerney at a forward stoppage then the 50 for him snapping at goal as well.

Which according to the Channel 7 commentators was "soft" too.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
They were all soft.... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.