Author Topic: It's Time  (Read 3939 times)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: It's Time
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2006, 04:59:02 PM »
Well done to Rainsey.  Definitely well deserved. :thumbsup
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2006, 05:02:23 PM »
interviewing him now on SEN

Did he thank Moi for his inspiration?  ;D
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Moi

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2006, 05:19:32 PM »
interviewing him now on SEN

Did he thank Moi for his inspiration?  ;D
Probably not, but i'll remind him next week at the Player and Coaching Link dinner lol
Did he say anything special 632 RFC?

Bulluss

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2006, 05:26:44 PM »
Rainsey basically said that he is rapt to be given a chance in the backline and not being on and off the bench.

Said he concetrates on playing tight and tough footy and then using his attacking game to try and set up the drive for the team.

Doesnt really set goals

Was rapt to run out on the Gabba in the Yellow and Black. Watched the Lions play there alot over the years.

Miller met with him and his family the year he got drafted. They basically told him he could nominate that year and hopefully we could pick him up late or he could move to melbourne and (i suspect) play at Coburg so we could develop him and maybe get him father son the next year.

Sounds pretty focussed.

From memory wasnt there 3 boys in the Raines family. I thought Andrew was the middle one. Nick was at Coburg last year, does anyone know if the younger one is playing at a decent level in Qld?

He did mention that his Mum and Dad and brother came to watch last week.

Possibly another father son in the waiting.

Moi

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2006, 05:30:00 PM »
The other one would be Nick I'd say, Bully and his playig at Port Melbourne this year.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2006, 06:40:59 PM »
From memory wasnt there 3 boys in the Raines family. I thought Andrew was the middle one. Nick was at Coburg last year, does anyone know if the younger one is playing at a decent level in Qld?

He did mention that his Mum and Dad and brother came to watch last week.

Possibly another father son in the waiting.

I heard somewhere that the youngest Raines (sorry forgotten his name) is playing with Broadbeach(?)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Raines a double for his dad, but prefers going solo (The Age)
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2006, 02:05:00 AM »
Raines a double for his dad, but prefers going solo
By Chloe Saltau
The Age
April 27, 2006

WHEN you look and move so much like your father that the similarities are a fountain of fascination to everyone who sees you play, it is important to make your own way.

So Andrew Raines, as much a chip off the old block as any of the AFL's sons of footballing fathers, has made sure he is very much in charge of his own destiny. Before the season began, he approached Richmond coach Terry Wallace and asked to be allowed to let his game grow in the back line.

And although his father, Richmond premiership player and triple best-and-fairest winner Geoff, has not surprisingly had the biggest influence on his footballing life, 20-year-old Andrew has made a conscious effort to seek advice from other places as he carves out an impressive career with the Tigers.

The younger Raines has struck a firm friendship since moving to Melbourne from the Gold Coast with Oberon Pirak, the long-time father figure to teammate Nathan Brown.

"I've met some really good people in Melbourne and obviously some old friends of Dad. Oberon Pirak has been very good to me. I go out to dinner with him once a week and I sort of rely on him outside my father," Raines explained.

"I don't like always talking to Dad about stuff; it's good to get other people's thoughts and issues about the game, and he's been fantastic to me."

Since his pow-wow with Wallace, Raines has played on the Western Bulldogs' floating half-forward Robert Murphy, St Kilda's crumbing goalsneak Stephen Milne, soaring Eagle Ashley Sampi and rangy Lion Jarred Brennan, and conceded only five goals for the year. Yesterday he was awarded a Rising Star nomination for his trouble.

Wallace said: "When it comes to the crunch and the ball's there to be won, no one's going in harder and winning it any better than what he is at the moment."

Both player and coach laughed when the topic of the physical similarities between father and son was raised — it is an old joke at Tigerland. But the likenesses, including the crouching style and penetrating kick, are striking.

"I went on record (and) said he mightn't have the class of his old man but he might be a little bit tougher than his old man. I caught up with Geoff the other day and he wasn't too happy with those comments. I think there'd be a bit of a war around the kitchen table with that one," Wallace said.

The coach has always encouraged the sons of Michael Bowden, Alan Richardson, Michael Roach and Geoff Raines to be themselves, but even he could not help thinking of Andrew when he saw a photo of Geoff clad in a Brisbane Bears guernsey recently.

"You can't help the comparisons. I've never taken that much notice of them but I must say when I opened up the Footy Record and it had the shot of Geoff in his Brisbane uniform I actually thought it was Andrew and they'd put a jumper over the top of it," Wallace said. "They are very, very similar not only in looks but in style of play, their gait, the way they run."

Andrew, too, sees bits of his game when he sees tapes of his dad, or remembers snippets of the matches he saw when Geoff was at Brisbane between 1987 and 89.

"I remember him up at Carrara in his last few years with the Bears. I was only little and I used to sneak out of the creche and go watch him play. They're slight memories, not a lot," Raines said.

"I've watched a lot of videos, too, so that's helped me because he is obviously a similar player to me … I remember him as a centreman, a class act sort of player. Very quick, good skills."

The settled role in defence is part of a deliberate plan to turn him into a centreman. "It's important to play a variety of positions these days. It's sort of a starting point for your career … until you fill out in size and you can start mixing it in the midfield," he said.

And, while he seeks different opinions, Raines still cherishes his father's advice.

"He's always said if you're mentally switched on and giving it your best shot the rest will take care of itself."

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/04/26/1145861420545.html

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2006, 09:21:35 PM »
Itll be between him and Dale Thomas for who wins it I reckon.

Thomas gets media coverage through the roof!

Rainesy thoroughly deserved the nomination!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Rainesy on Sport 927 (audio)
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2006, 04:20:13 PM »
ndrew Raines, young Richmond star and the AFL’s Rising Star nominee for round four, had a chat to Michael and Anthony about tonight’s big game against the Blues. Raines had 17 possessions including nine kicks and eight handballs in the win over Brisbane last Saturday night.

http://sport927.com.au/gateway/Daily_Audio/Sound%20Grabs/AR_280406.asx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Earning his stripes - Andrew Raines (AFL Record)
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2006, 03:05:31 AM »
EARNING HIS STRIPES
Young Tiger Andrew Raines is carving his own niche.
By John Murray.
AFL Record
Round 5, 2006

The Roman lyric poet Horace once wrote that life is largely a matter of expectation. While philosophers could spend many hours debating the virtues of that statement, there is little doubt it applies to Andrew Raines - when it comes to his football career, at any rate.

Ever since the son of former Richmond champion Geoff Raines was drafted by the club at pick No. 76 in the 2003 NAB AFL Draft, Tigers fans have been hoping Raines junior can replicate the feats of his famous father, who won three best and fairests and played in the 1980 premiership side.

Adding weight to these expectations is the striking similarities between the pair - from looks to the No. 4 jumper and right down to their kicking style.

Even so, these are high hopes for an eighth-round draft pick who has played just 10 senior games. Yet, on the evidence of the past few weeks, Raines could be a star in the making.

After playing seven games in his first two seasons, the 20-year-old has been ever-present in 2006 and starred in the Tigers' shock win over Brisbane last week. He racked up 17 possessions, brilliantly negating direct opponentjared Brennan and, as a result, won the NAB AFL Rising Star Medal nomination for round four.

And that meant more comparisons with his father - not that Raines is overly concerned.

"I try not to worry about it," he admitted.

"I've actually received that sort of attention most of my life about the similarities - even through my junior career - so I'm getting used to it.

"He played 20 years ago and I'm playing now. I'm trying to make my own name."

For now, Raines is content with his nomination and the fact that he is getting plenty of game time.

"It's a good start and a step in the right direction. We had our first win on Saturday night, so that was good and it was obviously very good to get a nomination, too," he said.

"I'm getting more ground time.

Obviously, I'm a year older. Every year's development you get a lot stronger and fitter. I feel a lot more comfortable than last year.

"When you're out there, it's obviously a tough job and it's tough at the highest level, but if I can stick at it and keep going, then hopefully I'll be there for a while," ­

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2006, 03:33:28 AM »
Another top game from Rainesy. One of the few out there last night that used the ball well and just as importantly his brain. Good to see also Wallace give him a go in the midfield for a bit  :thumbsup.

That pic above of him and Geoff at around the same age is just plain scary  :yep

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2006, 09:57:46 AM »
Another top game from Rainesy. One of the few out there last night that used the ball well and just as importantly his brain. Good to see also Wallace give him a go in the midfield for a bit  :thumbsup.

That pic above of him and Geoff at around the same age is just plain scary  :yep

Love seeing Rainesy taking the players on!

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2006, 09:59:04 AM »
If Rainesy had Thomas' media attention he would be an absolute shoe-in for the Rising Deledio

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2006, 10:01:44 AM »
Rainesy not only has to beat Thomas he has to beat the McGuire/Channel 9/Collingwood media machine. RFC supporters need to start ringing up 3AW and the ABC and Triple M and SEN and start pumping up Andy Raines.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2006, 10:59:30 AM »
Rainesy not only has to beat Thomas he has to beat the McGuire/Channel 9/Collingwood media machine. RFC supporters need to start ringing up 3AW and the ABC and Triple M and SEN and start pumping up Andy Raines.

Hopefully KB will give Rainesy 5 votes and give Thomas nothing  :lol and as a result Rainesy pinches the Rising Star