Author Topic: Peggy O'Neal on Barrie Cassidy's One-Plus-One: Thurs. May 14  (Read 2058 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Peggy O'Neal is next up to be interviewed on Barrie Cassidy's One-Plus-One show.

ABC1
Thursday, May 14th
9.20pm

It will be about her life and her time as RFC president.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Peggy O'Neal on Barrie Cassidy's One-Plus-One: Thurs. May 14
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 10:44:46 PM »
Well done Peggy  :clapping.

One of the interesting things she said tonight was that because she was an "outsider" she didn't feel she had any right to tell Dimma what to do about the footy team. The Club has understood boundaries between the roles of board, CEO & admin, and the footy dept. If someone wants to get involved as a board member in the "exciting" things such as recruiting then perhaps the boardroom isn't for them (as that behaviour undermines the authority of the CEO) and they should probably just stick to being a fan instead and give the club lots of money instead  ;D.

She hopes that the processes are in place that when she goes (two more years) that her legacy is she won't be missed because the Club will continue to be successful under whoever succeeds her and eventually Benny and Dimma. We enjoy our successes together (as a club) and when things don't work out we work together to fix and improve them.

Cassidy brought up the comparison between modern politics and the politics within a football club [They replayed the vision of the 'Focus on Footy' rebel group]. Peggy said she would've accepted if the members voted for someone else but she was never going to just walk away at that time. Peggy said the support of the Tiger Army has given the board the ability to plan for the long term. As opposed to 3-year election cycles in politics and the focus on polling (which we've seen can be wrong) when it comes to toppling the leader mid-term.

Diversity is a strong mantra of the Club. Peggy said in the early days when they working on lifting the finances of the Club they also discussed what kind of club we wanted to be. We wanted everybody to follow Richmond. It's good now that when someone walks into the Club they all see someone that looks like them.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 06:58:42 AM »
Peggy is a seriously good operator and we should be eternally grateful that she our President  :clapping

Under her stewardship we have put in place a corporate governance program that is envied and the most successful. Other Clubs and businesses wouldn't have the courage to do what the RFC did, thanks to Peggy

Funny how when she first became she was ridiculed by many and people said she offered nothing or very little. How wrong they were.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 08:06:15 AM »
Her continual "this is my club" verb as l phrasing put a lot of people off. It was terrible at the time. Thankfully the its my club phrasing has gone ive heard her refer to richmond as our club which is much better. Shes do e a good job. Unfortunately this year the financials will probably look terrible which wont help her leave the huge legacy she was on the verge of leaving.

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 09:40:23 AM »
Its all good until she says she would have accepted if the members voted for someone else.

We all know this is garbage as some board members just get put on the board and and never face election.

This is my only serious issue with the current board

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 10:15:29 AM »
Her continual "this is my club" verb as l phrasing put a lot of people off. It was terrible at the time. Thankfully the its my club phrasing has gone ive heard her refer to richmond as our club which is much better. Shes do e a good job. Unfortunately this year the financials will probably look terrible which wont help her leave the huge legacy she was on the verge of leaving.

The only person I have heard mention it as an issue is you

I call it my club

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 10:45:41 AM »
Yep it is my club and it is our club as well

Time for a group hug.......

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 11:27:46 AM »
Should change our theme song to "We Are The World"... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 01:57:08 PM »

Hmmmm

No, I am talking about when she first became President not the ridiculous Focus on Footy" challenge

That is the only time she used that phrase.

When she became President She was ridiculed for being a woman, ridiculed for not being high profile enough. As I said people said she offered nothing, her qualification meaningless...

How wrong they were

And I don't think this year's financial result will tarnish her legacy at all.

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2020, 02:39:37 PM »
Here's Peggy's interview from last night: https://www.enhancetv.com.au/video/barrie-cassidys-one-plus-one-peggy-oneal/64645

It will also be replayed on ABC24 on Sunday night at 9:30pm.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2020, 10:17:26 PM »

The only person I have heard mention it as an issue is you

This is a falsehood. A lot of supporters were unhappy with it and said so on forums. Shes done a good job overall she has improved as president, she is no ray dunn as president but shes made a fine contribution
and her place in richmond fc history is assured.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2020, 09:23:10 PM »
It will also be replayed on ABC24 on Sunday night at 9:30pm.
Bump.

Tonight @ 9.30pm on ABC24.