Author Topic: “I don’t think tackling is a skill that’s essential: Jake Niall (Age/SEN)  (Read 980 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Jake Niall, The Age’s chief AFL writer, doesn’t think tackling is a skill fans go to the footy to see.

“It’s a different game, there are parts of the game that are far better. The tackling is better, the hand skills in close are just incredible,” Niall said.

“I don’t think tackling is a skill that’s essential of Australian Rules Football. I don’t think it’s a skill that I revel in.

"The coaches do but I don’t think the fans do. I think it’s high marking, goalkicking, skills, evading players, brilliant use of the ball, a contest where two players are competing for the ball.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/06/01/russell-urges-afl-to-make-minor-rule-change/

I don't think Niall has seen too many Richmond games if he thinks tackling (and the pressure that goes with it) isn't a necessary skill. The way we ruthlessly hunt the opposition as a pack can be incredible to watch at times.

Mind you Niall is one who thinks "old footy" of 15-35 years ago was better:
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/a-lockdown-lesson-old-footy-was-better-20200530-p54xz7.html

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
I love me a crunching tackle! Also those run down ones! You can’t have a game which celebrates silky Evasiveness without the tackler which clamps down on them!

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Tackling isn't important?

Have a look at how we went under Wallace when we consistently had the worst tackling numbers in the league.

Does Niall realise that they only show the good games from the old days?
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
Wonder how many games Jake played? 
Tackling pressure helps wins premierships just like all aspects of our indigenous game. 

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Without tackling you have Netball/Keepings Off with kicks & handballs ... boring AF ...    :-\
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
He also doesn't seem to think coherency, research & knowledge of your subject are essential skills for journalism... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.