Author Topic: Coburg vs Werribee - Sunday April 30  (Read 1953 times)

letsgetiton!

Re: Coburg vs Werribee - Sunday April 30
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2006, 08:36:51 AM »
X,

you have to pull your head out of the sand.

I was telling MT the other night, over the last 2 years i have nearly come to blows with the guys who sits in front of me at Telstra Dome (for home games) because i am constantly bagging and calling for Tivas head.

Even i can see this year that he is playing much better footy and while he has still turned it over a little, it hasnt been anywhere near the same as last year. On top of that he is kicking goals again and has set up numerous goals and forward attacks already.

Tivas would be one of the first selected at the moment and good on him for turning it around.

If you cant see that then you really are kidding yourself.

lucky we dont sit with each other at the footy!  :lol

tiv has been 10% better than last year, the problem is, his good work really stands out and clouds over his usual work. his the man who changed the game 4 us v the eagles, he set the trends with his lack of consistancy in hi skill level and lack of good decision making. sure he has improved on last yr, but thats only because he knows his neck is on the line! its not worth playing him, esp when he wont be around next yr, give his spot to meyer or polo, cos they will be around

just my opinion

and btw, my head just may be in the sand, im still in holiday mode  :rollin

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2006, 03:29:15 PM »
its not worth playing him, esp when he wont be around next yr, give his spot to meyer or polo, cos they will be around

cough...trade value....cough  ;)
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

letsgetiton!

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2006, 06:56:38 PM »
its not worth playing him, esp when he wont be around next yr, give his spot to meyer or polo, cos they will be around

cough...trade value....cough  ;)

cough cough, oops pass me a soozer!
in that case , run tivers run, keep banging that ball inside 50!

Offline Tigertailz

• Premiership Captain
  • "here we go again!"
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2006, 10:30:05 PM »
Chippendale has had me pretty wound up at times over the years.

So far he hasnt got me going that way this season.His goal friday night kept me happy.I shrugged off his kick out on the full without any drama.

Any way what i would like to know is if anyone could give me a rundown on Mcguane.I saw him mentioned in the best on Sunday and just curious as i havnt seen him play yet.Thanks

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers Tame Tigers (Coburg site)
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2006, 10:18:35 AM »
Tigers Tame Tigers
Grant Scott
30 April 2006

Round 4

Coburg Tigers 3.0 4.5 8.10 11.14 (80)
Werribee 4.3 5.5 10.7 10.9 (69)

With both sides holding an opportunity to even up their records to 2 wins and 2 losses for the season, the match up between Coburg and Werribee at a soggy City Oval was always going to be a titanic struggle. But it was the Burger boys with their overall persistency and an irrepressible last quarter that eventually saw them run out 11 point winners and leave victorious Burger fans in raptures after the final siren.

Despite heavy rainfall beforehand, and continuous drizzle for the duration, the game was played at a good standard throughout. Not a day for the big fellas, the conditions demanded a high level of physical application at ground level, and it was a number of Coburg’s small to medium sized players creating an advantage in this department that ultimately provided the impetus for a fantastic Burger win.

An injury to Cam ‘House’ Howat saw him unable to take his place in the final side with highly skilled youngster and ex- Eastern Ranges rover/forward Dom Di Mascio making his senior debut.

The start to the first quarter was a battle of wills with Matthew White kicking the first goal of the match via a running shot on goal. As the quarter wore on, despite the Burgers winning much of the ball across the ground, the Coburg talls were being stretched in their ability to get back and fill the defensive hole - which was leaving young full back Luke McGuane one out on many occasions with the experienced Werribee full forward, James Podsiadly. A goal to Eric Kuret after a fantastic Jonno Mullins mark, then another just before the siren from Daniel Jackson, saw the Burgers trail the Bees by 9 points at quarter time. Already however, the ground level work of the likes of Jeremy Humm, Matthew White, Nick Carnell, Dean Polo and Jacob King was paying dividends.

The second quarter was one of lost opportunities for the hard working Burger boys. The half back line lead by some fantastic work by Polo and King was resilient, and the move by coach Andy Collins to put young Danny Meyer to centre half forward and allow Adam Pattison to push up the ground created more space up forward. However, Kuret’s second goal for the game was the only major that accompanied a further 5 behinds for the quarter. Subsequently, the Burger boys went into the half time break trailing by 5 points – the umpires making their contribution to the result with a free kick count of 21 to 8 against the Burgers.

The second half was the beginning of what would ultimately become the “Jonno Mullins Show.” Despite 2 goals in the third quarter from ex- Collingwood player Tom Davidson, one each to Podsiadly, ex- Lion Travis Baird and a dubious goal to Salim Hassan in the goal square, Jonno hit back with 2 of his own - one a freakish left foot dibbler off the left forward pocket boundary line at the grandstand end of the ground. Another goal from Jackson, and a fantastic hard ball goal from Carnell saw the Burgers stay within 9 points at 3 quarter time. The Burgers continued to let themselves down with missed opportunities and poor decision making in the forward line, however. But tireless work from Polo, White, Humm, King and Alistair Neville ensured the Burgers were still right in the game.

A plea from Andy Collins at 3 quarter time to get one out on the forward line as much as possible in order to take better advantage of the Burgers greater ball winning capacity paid off in the final quarter. Jonno Mullins snapped his 3rd for the match at the 7 minute mark of the quarter to put the Burgers just 4 points behind. A Carnell - to Meyer - to Mullins goal 3 minutes later put the Burgers in front for the first time since the 5 minute mark of the first quarter. A further 3 minutes later and Jonno Mullins had kicked his 5th goal for the match with an off the ground goal in the goal square. The Burgers were now 7 points in front.

The Burgers were looking tough to beat. Paul Shelton and McGuane were now coming into their own in the backline and Trent Knobel was dropping into the hole regularly. Young second gamers Sam Robertson and Shaun Huy showed the desperation typified by many a Calder Cannons side, with Robertson’s tackle upon tackle effort in front of the interchange thoroughly inspiring the crowd. In the end it was this greater commitment and hard nosed work rate in the slippery conditions that would see the Burgers extend their lead to 11 points, and run out the winners by that margin.

Despite their youth and inexperience having the pundits regularly tip against them, Coburg now move well and truly into the 8 after today’s gutsy win. Even their two losses have been tight affairs.

If you’re a follower of the Burgers (or Richmond), or even if you just like to watch a good game of footy, then get yourself along to a Coburg Tigers game. Better still, become a member. They’re young and they’re learning, but they’re tough…they’re talented… and under Andy Collins you can feel a strong under-current of intensity and motivation is developing within this Burger side.

Get behind them and don’t miss out on it!

Well done guys.

http://coburgtigers.com.au/