Author Topic: Richmond is off to the Queensland hub on the Gold Coast  (Read 36890 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Richmond is off to the Queensland hub on the Gold Coast
« Reply #105 on: September 01, 2020, 01:32:37 PM »

100% correct she's not bigger then the club and our captain needs to put his foot down.

Seriously?

Like it was in the good old days? Say the 1940s or 1950s?

Not sure what you mean to be honest "needs to put his foot down"?

Supporting his wife and family or the footy club?  :huh :-\
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #106 on: September 01, 2020, 03:11:10 PM »
I understand the point WP albeit not the same these days.  Cotchin certainly needs to have a chat with her though and tell her the priority is team and club harmony and any personal issues or grievances need to be put aside for the betterment of team.  Going by her Dads comments she hasn't listened if this chat has been held.  In which case the point needs to be made again and the consequences of not getting on the bus very clear

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #107 on: September 01, 2020, 03:17:03 PM »
I just think everyone at the club should avoid airing dirty linen - father in laws included.
It’s really none of our business anyway so why make it our business but putting it our there for public consumption?
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #108 on: September 01, 2020, 04:10:42 PM »
Cotchin considered leaving hub for home: Hardwick

By Jon Pierik
The Age
September 1, 2020 — 3.10pm

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick has confirmed Trent Cotchin considered quitting the Tigers' Brisbane hub but has praised his leadership and declared his captain is playing his best football since he retrospectively claimed the 2012 Brownlow Medal.

The Tigers have regularly been in the headlines - some bizarre - through this compressed AFL season but have managed to remained focused on the field to the point they are now outright favourites with the bookies to win back-to-back premierships.

Cotchin, wife Brooke and their three young children had struggled to adjust to life in their Queensland hub at one stage, with the skipper even considering returning to Melbourne with his family. Hardwick and chief executive Brendon Gale, the latter having returned to Brisbane on Tuesday, were in on the discussion and insist Cotchin never delivered an ultimatum.

"There was a conversation at one stage. Trent, as a family man, will always do what is best for his family. I think as a club we are very much aligned to those values," Hardwick said on Tuesday.

"We won't ask a person to put themselves above their family. Trent had some decisions to make and he was very supportive of his family as we are supportive of Trent.

"The reality is, you sort of look at the conditions we are in, we are very fortunate to be in better conditions than most of Victoria, but probably 90 per cent of the people up here at some stage have gone: 'Look, it's hard'. I probably think about going home. But the reality is, Trent stuck fat, his family stuck fat, he has been incredible up here and we are incredibly supportive of both of them."

Brooke had been the subject of vile social media posts for an AFL COVID-19 breach in July, having been caught after she posted an image of her visit to a day spa on the Gold Coast. This resulted in a $45,000 fine for the Tigers, with $25,000 suspended. The Cotchins have offered to pay the fine.

There has been more drama since, including Brooke's father, former Footscray defender Rick Kennedy, taking aim at the club and the AFL for the way they had handled the controversy in not allowing Brooke to "go public and take responsibility". The AFL and Tigers deny this.

Trent has also been the subject of "nasty" online attacks but through this has been in stellar on-field touch, particularly since returning from a hamstring injury. He is averaging 19.5 touches per game, and had 26 against premiership fancy West Coast last week, earning nine of a possible 10 votes in the AFL Coaches' Association player of the year award.

Jobe Watson won the Brownlow in 2012 but had it stripped in 2016 as a result of the supplements saga. It was handed to joint runners-up Cotchin and Sam Mitchell.

Cotchin plays a different role to what he did eight years ago and is averaging eight less touches per game but his ability to influence contests is as great, if not greater.

"I think he has had his best year since his Brownlow year. Every good game he has played, he has just been incredible for us," Hardwick said.

"We have changed his role a little but what we have seen is him at his very best. He is such a damaging player. He leads by example. He is a wonderful leader on and off the field. He is an inspiration to our footy club. He has done it tough up at here at stages but I look at the way he has led this football club. I get a little bit emotional talking about this guy because of what him and his family bring to us.

"There is no doubt he is a big reason to where we are now. His leadership on and the off the field has been incredible."

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/afl/cotchin-considered-leaving-hub-for-home-hardwick-20200901-p55r99.html

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #109 on: September 01, 2020, 05:49:54 PM »

Is it fact that Cotchin was going to or his wife suggested it ?.In all honestly club should put her in her place and if she keeps going she can go back to Vic.

By the club putting her in her place I presume you mean staying exactly where Mrs Cotchin currently is - SUPPORTING her husband in his endeavors to lead his team to a fourth straight finals campaign!

No I don't mean that this issue was done and dusted why they dragged it out again is the question no ones bigger then the club and nothing to do with our club this issue fullstop.If she doesn't like the hub rules and keeps at it send her home it's a distraction.

Have you read the full article? 

Often reading just the headline gives a vastly different slant (deliberately so) in order to generate the clicks /sell the paper. There is absolutely nothing in the article to suggest Mrs Cotchin doesn't like the hub rules, in fact there is understanding and support for both the AFL and Richmond. 

Most parents (no matter how old their children are) will hurt when they are hurting and try to defend them as much as possible.  This appears to be what Rick Kennedy did when answering questions on MMM.  He also states his comments are his and not coming from Trent or Brooke Cotchin.  Mrs Gale defended her husband when she was asked about Rick Kennedy's comments. Again totally understandable human behaviour.

Mrs Cotchin made an inadvertent error - there was no law broken, rather afl hub protocol- and as much as people would like to throw dirt at her for that error, there were 4 other inadvertent errors around the same time including Nathan Buckley.  Mrs Cotchin has taken full ownership of the error, issued a public apology and has had to bear the brunt of the disgusting abuse hurled her way.  I was always taught while you may not like the person, you still respect the position they hold.  Mrs Cotchin is the wife of our two time premiership skipper and the mother of their children. 

Has anyone stopped to wonder why Richmond are getting so much seemingly negative press?  Reigning premiers for the second time in three years, 100000 members for the third straight year, tight knit group that other clubs are trying to emulate and other players talk about, an incredible club culture of embracing the imperfections.  Richmond are seen as a massive threat, not just in the premiership race but in defining the attitudes of professional sporting organisations.  The coaches and playing group won't be buying into the campaign to douse the light, they'll continue to do just as they have been doing, making the most of this year's extraordinary circumstances and support each other to be the best they can be in whatever they are doing be it on field or off.
:clapping

Ed: Fixed quoting
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 06:31:34 PM by one-eyed »

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #110 on: September 02, 2020, 07:58:13 AM »
Lets stop beating around the bush here.

We have a self entitled WAG that feels like she is doing the AFL a massive favour by relocating from her mansion in Melb to be with her husband in Qld.  She is also I expect high maintenance. 

The fact that she has been excluded from a chat group involving the other players wives says it all. 

This has the potential to derail our season because when the WAGs are unhappy you can guarantee that will impact on their partners. 

She needs to put on the 1st plane home and if the Captain decides to go with her so be it.
Is this true? How do we know this?
The club that keeps giving.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #111 on: September 02, 2020, 01:46:00 PM »
What is Richmond’s record at The Gabba over the last 10 years and at Metricon?

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #112 on: September 02, 2020, 02:34:44 PM »
Given our record over the Lions you would have to assume it is pretty darn good

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #113 on: September 02, 2020, 05:12:08 PM »
Best possible result for us having the grand final firstly at the Gabba where we have a great record and secondly that it’s at night as we play humid/wet conditions better than anyone else.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #114 on: September 02, 2020, 05:21:37 PM »
This could be the greatest premiership of all.
If we, on the way to the flag, beat WCE in Perth,  Port in Adelaide and Brisbane at the Gabba.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #115 on: September 03, 2020, 02:05:06 AM »
What is Richmond’s record at The Gabba over the last 10 years and at Metricon?
11 straight wins at the Gabba. Last lost way back in 2004.

https://afltables.com/afl/teams/richmond/allgames_vn.html#20

8 straight wins at Metricon. Last lost in 2014.

https://afltables.com/afl/teams/richmond/allgames_vn.html#32

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #116 on: September 04, 2020, 11:00:48 AM »
News report apparently on Sen that Sydney Stack and Callum Coleman Jones we’re allegedly involved in a brawl outside a strip club on the Gold Coast.

Just now on SEN.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.couriermail.com.au/coronavirus/richmond-players-caught-up-in-brawl-outside-gold-coast-strip-club/news-story/415a98d461f12ae7bc936dda1e17b348

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #117 on: September 04, 2020, 11:05:37 AM »
This makes Mrs Cotchins spa visit saga negligible.

I don’t understand then why it was a big deal that players and wags in the hub had to keep within the hub then why are players allowed to go to strip clubs? Im not sure they attended the strip club because I can’t access the article because of the paywall.

Have the restrictions on players been eased? I didn’t know this was the case 

Does anyone have clarity on this?

FooffooValve

« Reply #118 on: September 04, 2020, 11:13:26 AM »
This makes Mrs Cotchins spa visit saga negligible.

I don’t understand then why it was a big deal that players and wags in the hub had to keep within the hub then why are players allowed to go to strip clubs?

Have the restrictions on players been eased? I didn’t know this was the case 

Does anyone have clarity on this?

They're not allowed. If this is true, they would have been breaking hub protocols. May as well rule them out for the season.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #119 on: September 04, 2020, 11:14:37 AM »
what stuffin losers

this is a bloody disgrace if true. CCJ can stuff off now and stack you silly stuff can also too
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.