Author Topic: Richmond vs Geelong @ the 'Gabba --- 2020 Grand Final  (Read 53894 times)

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Richmond vs Geelong @ the 'Gabba --- 2020 Grand Final
« Reply #345 on: January 21, 2021, 02:29:09 PM »
Dusty only needs 20 possessions. He favours kicking over handballs and His kicking is absolutely elite. If he had the ball 50 times like Neale or Mitchell he would kick 10 goals and we would win by margins of 100+.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #346 on: February 02, 2021, 02:57:36 PM »
2020 AFL Grand Final - things that went wrong for the Geelong Cats (no sound)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVEq_u_7BTc

Quote from: DirtyData
Note: I don't own the rights to the footage, and there is no sound in this video.

I put this together to highlight some of the things that went wrong in the game from a purely Geelong perspective, such & missed shots at goal and other turnovers.

I also included all of the 3rd quarter centre bounces as it has been mentioned that Dangerfield not being in the centre had a big impact.

The sections are:
00:00​ Missed shots at goal & missed forward half opportunities
03:00​ Kicks out on the full & other turnovers
05:00​ A couple of questionable umpiring decisions
05:33​ The 3rd quarter centre bounces

Cats fans need to remember bad kicking is bad footy  :whistle.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #347 on: February 15, 2021, 03:03:37 PM »
Hardwick was asked about the Grand Final by Garry and Tim on SEN.

* Dimma remembers asking our doc while Vlastuin was being carried off on the stretcher if Floss could come back on  :lol.

* The loss of Vlastuin in the first 5 minutes followed by Houli doing his calf a short time later did throw us out a bit. We knew what was going wrong but we couldn't stabilise our team for a while. We went into the game with Astbury and Balta as tall backs and as 2nd rucks. Geelong's forward line of Hawkins surrounded by smaller players meant with no Floss, Dave at times had to chase around Gary, Bews and alike. So Dimma eventually moved Kmac back into defence, rolled some forwards through our wings, Balta into the ruck and Astbury onto Hawkins.

* We didn't really change the way we played as a team. Ultimately, credited our leaders Cotch and Jack to organise things and steer us through.

* Dimma thought we had got the game back on our terms in the last 5-10 minutes of the 2nd quarter but we weren't putting it on the scoreboard. Not until Dusty pulled out that freakish goal just before half-time.

* Lyon: "What was your half-time message?"
   Dimma: "Give it to Dusty and he'll do the rest"  :snidegrin.

* We don't review the Grand Final as a single game either. We focus on the season as a whole and where we can still improve.  We have reviewed the last game of the season in past seasons but only when we have been knocked out.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #348 on: February 15, 2021, 04:49:37 PM »
Give it to Dusty!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #349 on: March 11, 2021, 01:53:44 PM »
'I haven't seen a half-time like this in my career': How Tigers turned around 2020 GF

All-Australian defender Dylan Grimes says Richmond coach Damien Hardwick's short, sharp speech inspired another flag.

By Damian Barrett
afl.com.au
11 March 2021

RICHMOND defender Dylan Grimes has revealed a controlled mayhem inside the Tigers' rooms at half-time of last year's Grand Final was crucial in the second-half, premiership-securing turnaround against Geelong.

All-Australian Grimes said there was genuine concern in the Richmond camp before coach Damien Hardwick provided a 45-second, second-half directive.

Of the 2020 Grand Final half-time anxiousness, when the Tigers trailed by 15 points after being down by as many as 22, Grimes said:

"This is interesting, because I haven't seen a half-time break like this in any other game, in my whole career - we got down to the rooms, and the coaches, there was a hive of activity around the white board, every coach that we've got," he said.

"VFL coach, line coach, every coach, was surrounded and they were just back and forth. I was left with the backline, and normally (at this time) there is a meeting with the backs coach.

"… and then you just hear Dimma, 'Right, everyone in'. And the whole club was just around this whiteboard and he just provided, from the 15 minutes of conversation he'd just had with the coaches, a 45-second, succinct discussion about the two or three things that we were going to change.

"And it took all the focus away from the fact we were down and that they were playing really well, and that we had lost Nick Vlastuin, one of our best structural players. And that was when we all thought, well maybe this isn’t as out control as we may have first thought.

"I remember looking across at Dustin and Cotch at half-time, kind-of like, 'Oh, geez, this is a bit hairy, this is a bit full on, this is not how it is supposed to go'. On that night, for that second half, we were just slightly better than what Geelong was, and that was the difference."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/560893/-i-haven-t-seen-a-half-time-like-this-in-my-career-how-tigers-turned-around-2020-gf

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Revealed: Geelong coach Chris Scott’s ‘class act’ that floored Damien Hardwick mid-Grand Final

Ben Waterworth
Fox Sports
March 11th, 2021 1:02 pm

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick has revealed a “class act” by Cats counterpart Chris Scott’s mid-Grand Final upon realising another Tigers premiership had been secured.

A long-range goal from gun wingman Sam Menegola just after the midway point of the fourth quarter reduced the margin to under three goals and gave Geelong faint hope of a late comeback.

However the Tigers regained control of the game for the next 10 minutes, culminating in a superb set-shot goal from star forward Jack Riewoldt that essentially sealed a Richmond victory with 1.43 on the clock.

Hardwick, though, was still in game mode post-goal and keen to contain his emotions before the final siren sounded.

But speaking on ‘One Night in Brisbane’ – a 90-minute feature on Grand Final night 2020 to air on Fox Footy at 7.30pm (AEDT) on Thursday evening – Hardwick revealed Scott classily walked in to the Tigers’ coaches box after Riewoldt’s set-shot to concede defeat and congratulate staff on a third flag in four seasons.

“As a coach you never really know (when you’ve truly won a game). But what I will say is after (Riewoldt’s) goal, Chris Scott came into our coaches’ box and congratulated us, which was incredible,” Hardwick told Fox Footy’s ‘One Night in Brisbane’.

“I think the assistants had packed up at this stage, but I’m still going: ‘Listen you blokes, we’re still — Oh Chris!’ He just congratulated us and said ‘great game’.

“It was such a class act by such a classy guy, really.”

Hardwick said the final-minute feeling of knowing the Tigers had secured their third flag in four years after trailing the Cats at half-time – compared to the year prior when their second premiership was assured from midway through the third quarter – was more satisfying.

The Tigers coach even declared the 2020 triumph as a better achievement than the 2017 and 2019 flags.

“This is a really, really tough thing to say, but I think this is our best Grand Final win,” Hardwick said.

“I look at it as one of the hardest, most challenging years we’ll ever go through and it was such a fantastic effort by our players and our club overall to walk away with, what I think is going to be, one of the hardest trophies ever to win.”

A Richmond victory appeared unlikely towards the end of the second quarter when Coleman Medallist Tom Hawkins gave Geelong a healthy 22-point lead.

Tigers superstar Dustin Martin, who’d eventually claim a third Norm Smith Medal, kicked a stunning and crucial goal just before half-time to reduce the margin to 15 points.

But with Nick Vlastuin (concussion) out for the rest of the game and Bachar Houli (torn calf) playing injured, Hardwick admitted he had concerns.

Asked if there were any flecks of doubt in his mind at half-time, despite knowing the quality and premiership experience his side had, Hardwick said with a laugh: “Absolutely.

“I was really worried about Bachar as well. I remember speaking to him on the phone saying ‘Listen mate, I need Allah on our side today, we need to get back on the field’ – and he laughed and got back on.

“Bachar’s just one of those guys. I mean that calf, he’s still struggling with that and probably won’t get up for Round 1 because of it.”

Riewoldt added: “You definitely had doubts going through your head … when you’ve been successful for a long time, inevitably you sometimes think ‘is the end coming’?

“It was like: ‘I feel like I’ve got the tools and I feel like we’ve got the tools to actually just keep beating it away and knowing that it’s there – and inevitably it will come at some point – but that wasn’t the time.’”

During the Fox Footy program, Riewoldt fired an ominous warning to the rest of the AFL, declaring Martin could be even better in 2021.

Martin’s four-goal, 21-disposal Grand Final performance capped off a colossal 2020 finals series, which also saw him lead the Tigers to a semi-final victory over St Kilda then a preliminary final win over Port Adelaide.

Riewoldt said Martin had the potential to become a more influential player this year.

“I’m really proud of who he’s become – the growth in him as a person and a mate, I couldn’t be more proud of what he’s done and it’s reflective on who we’re going to see going forward as well,” he said.

“I think we’re going to see a much more mature player – the sky really is the limit.

“I know he values how important he is from a vice-captain, from a captain, from the coach on how much we lean on him. I think he’s starting to get a bit of a grasp on how important he is, not only as a player but as a cultural figure from Richmond.”

Riewoldt also said it was Martin who calmed the side’s nerves when it trailed by 22 points, firstly with his brilliant goal just prior to the half-time siren then for rallying the team at the main break.

“This bloke, he’s not known as a leader outside of the footy club but he was the one who grabbed everyone and said ‘we’re right in this, we’re right up to our eyeballs in this game’ and we could feel the momentum shift back our way.

“It’s so phenomenal what he does in big games and we’re bloody lucky to have him.”

Hardwick added: “You look at all of his four goals on Grand Final day, each one surpassed the other. They were just incredible. You look back at that Grand Final and just shake your head at his performance.”

‘One Night in Brisbane’ — a Fox Footy 2020 Grand Final feature, Thursday at 7.30pm (AEDT) on Fox Footy

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-grand-final-2020-chris-scott-class-act-with-damien-hardwick-fox-footy-documentary-one-night-in-brisbane/news-story/c8c986a8e7ff4139bfc8f5b8ba212c61

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
'Sometimes the greats are just too good': Danger tips hat to Dusty

By Damian Barrett
afl.com.au
30 March 2021

THE GAME'S greats reserve a special acknowledgement for the deeds of other greats.

For Patrick Dangerfield, one of those moments came in last season's Grand Final when Dustin Martin was compiling a performance which was to secure a third Norm Smith Medal.

"I can remember a passage of play where I just chuckled to myself, because it was just too good, and he was that," Dangerfield revealed to AFL.com.au in an interview ahead of the season.

"And he has been such an incredible player on the biggest stage so often, he has done what no one else has done before."

That it was Martin who extinguished Dangerfield's own first chance of a premiership in the 13th season of his own extraordinary career has actually assisted the champion Cat to deal with that heartache.

"We had a great season, and Richmond is a phenomenal team, but they have also got one of the greatest players to ever play the game, so it makes it a bit easier," Dangerfield said.

"He was just … sometimes you just have to take your hat off and go, 'too good'. If you beat yourself up too much over someone like Dusty, then you're banging your head against a brick wall because players like him are few and far between … sometimes the greats are just too good."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/564622/-sometimes-the-greats-are-just-too-good-danger-tips-hat-to-dusty

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #352 on: October 24, 2021, 07:49:35 AM »
Premiership #13 one year ago today  :thumbsup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #353 on: October 25, 2021, 09:06:56 PM »
Celebrations by the players in the rooms after the GF.

Dusty leading the boys in song to Queen's "We are the champions".

Watch here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2297566937190272/posts/3040788366201455/

:thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #354 on: October 25, 2022, 04:53:27 AM »
Two years ago (last night)  :)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond