Author Topic: Dreamtime at the 'G 2006  (Read 2431 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dream believer (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2006, 03:06:17 AM »

Dream believer
06 May 2006   Herald Sun

KEVIN Sheedy is "old" Richmond. One of those who often refer to Francis Bourke as "St Francis".

Yet, as much as Sheedy admires his friend and teammate from the 1960s and '70s, he says there is one true saint from his time at Punt Rd.

He is referring to Michael Bowden, a member of the 1969 premiership team, a journeyman footballer, a champion humanitarian.

"He's a sensational person," says the Essendon coach. "One of the best people you could have played footy with. A genuine, caring Australian. He's gone out there (the outback) and done it. He's actually lived out there where people wouldn't normally go to live."

Sheedy's respect and admiration for Bowden is built on his friend's ongoing commitment to the indigenous community, and passion for its people.

Bowden has unique status in the week of Dreamtime at the 'G, tonight's Essendon-Richmond game at the MCG which recognises and celebrates the contribution of indigenous players to the indigenous game.

Not only does he have two sons, Joel and Patrick, representing Richmond, he is a key player in the huge task of maintaining hope and opportunity for indigenous youth in central Australia.

Aboriginal youth has captivated him for more than 20 years, since he packed his family up at Mildura in 1983 and headed for Ernabella, an Aboriginal community in South Australia, just below the Northern Territory border.

His role teaching politics and Australian history at St Joseph's in Mildura had sparked a lifelong interest in Aboriginal culture.

"I'd become quite fascinated by it," he said in Alice Springs this week.

Almost on a whim, Bowden decided he wanted to do more than just teach children of the well-to-do.

"I knew all the kids I was teaching were going to have a good life. I thought, `Whoever teaches them, they're going to do OK'.

"I wanted to do some work with those who were less likely to automatically succeed . . . the disadvantaged, marginalised and underprivileged."

His concern for his fellow man first became apparent at 16, when, as a student at St Kevin's College in Melbourne, he volunteered to work after school at Ozanam House, a refuge for the homeless.

After finishing school, he spent two years studying for the priesthood before deciding it wasn't for him.

In his mid-30s, while living in Mildura, he answered a call to tend to homeless and alcoholic members of the community.

He helped build an overnight shelter (1982) for what were known as river people.

A group including his wife, Judy, ran the shelter on a roster basis.

But it was his developing interest in the indigenous community that drove him.

He finally answered an advertisement in the newspapers for a community adviser at Ernabella.

The Bowdens took their children out of school, packed them into a Land Rover and headed to central Australia in 1983.

The children learnt the local language and lived the culture, and loved it, he says. "They were white fellas as a minority group," he says.

It was "an enormous cross-cultural experience".

Bowden is an imposing figure in the Alice in more ways than one.

His friend, Paul Fitzsimons, director of remote co-ordination at NT's Charles Darwin University and an ABC radio sporting personality, says: "He's been extremely good for the town.

"Michael threw himself into the community when he arrived here. He got himself involved in sport, the church and the community, and he involved his family.

"He got people thinking, `We better get down and watch our kids play footy'. You can see his impact.

"Personality drives programs such as social change and community development.

"He's got a very dynamic personality. He draws people with his enthusiasm, his absolute quest to get his point across.

"The Aboriginal community really do look up to Michael Bowden and have accepted him more than any other public servant. By a country mile."

Bowden mixes easily with the locals. Despite his disappointments, he is a cheerful man. An optimist.

He loves the Alice. It is what he calls "a place of great contrast and contest".

Yes, there are problems, many of them serious, some old, some new, such as those born of what is termed the "urban stampede" as changes to welfare conditions generate an influx of indigenous people from regional areas to the town fringes.

Perhaps the most disturbing of the problems is the inability of the authorities, including Bowden, to keep indigenous youngsters at school.

Estimates go as high as 600 in a community of 25,000. By extension, the problems of alcohol abuse, petrol-sniffing and marijuana use threaten to become endemic.

Yet Bowden says the problems are not insurmountable.

"They're all addressable if you've got some patience, and some love, some compassion and some energy," he says.

He calls Alice Springs occupied territory.

"We've marginalised these people, physically, psychologically and spiritually. We've pushed them to the edges and said `survive'.

"There's been invasion, occupation, marginalisation and then demoralisation of them and their community.

"What we're attempting to do is help them sustain their sense of who they are. They have been able to sustain that through their own strength, through the strength of their culture."

A town called Alice was a fascinating point from which to watch the brawl down south over four premiership points. To watch the preparations for a game of football called Dreamtime at the 'G.

Dean Rioli, Andrew Lovett, Nathan Lovett-Murray, Andrew Krakouer, Richard Tambling and Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls will be on show at the MCG tonight, and we will delight in their talents, yet the real story of Aboriginal youth remains largely ignored in regional Australia.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,19036626%255E20123,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Michael Bowden article in Herald-Sun
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2006, 03:09:44 AM »
Tiger on Long mission
06 May 2006   Herald Sun
Mike Sheahan

RICHMOND premiership player Michael Bowden says a football academy could stem a tragic waste of Aboriginal talent in central Australia.

Bowden, who has spent almost 20 years in education in the Northern Territory, wants to replicate Western Australia's highly acclaimed Clontarf Foundation, which has both reclaimed so many indigenous lives and enriched AFL football.

"So many of these young blokes love this game with a passion," Bowden said.

"They will connect to it, identify with it.

"If you can keep those young blokes attached to an education program, then you hold out another plank, another pathway, for them to walk.

"If you were able to create a course based around football, these blokes would have an opportunity to play footy, to play in a team, to represent themselves as a group, to go away and play.

"Through the program, they could learn important life skills such as the principles of physical conditioning, management of injuries, first-aid, diet and nutrition, administration, umpiring.

"If you can engage them, you can teach them an enormous amount of valuable stuff.

"You could establish something like the Michael Long Academy of Football Excellence or maybe just the Michael Long Sports Academy.

"It would be a multi-sited academy or a virtual academy existing all over the region.

"Made up of a series of units at different places, with the centre in Alice Springs. All of them would be enrolled into the Certificate of Football course."

Bowden, 59, said something radical needed to be done to arrest chronic problems among Aboriginal youth.

"Very few complete secondary education. It's miniscule," he says sadly.

"The schools are dying in the bush, the number of kids is declining, teachers are being relieved of their jobs out there.

"The kids are just not staying on after primary school. They boast about numbers less than 10 completing HSC (in the territory)."

Bowden already has contacted the AFL and AFL Players' Association with his plan.

It is based on Clontarf, the initiative of former Fremantle coach Gerard Neesham.

"It's wrong to think of Alice Springs as a basket case," Bowden said as he watched the town's exclusively Aboriginal team, Pioneer, train on Tuesday night. "You look at these young blokes getting ready to play football.

"We're 7km out of the town and they got here by themselves (more than 40 of them) because they love it and want to do well (at football). Football's got enormous pulling power."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,19037882%255E19742,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Field of dreaming (The Age)
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2006, 03:13:44 AM »
Field of dreaming
The Age
May 6, 2006

Aboriginal footballers have been instruments of change for their people, writes Martin Blake ahead of tonight’s landmark game.

THEY held the launch of "Dreamtime at the ‘G" this week at the foot of the William Barak Bridge near the MCG, a structure named after the fabled leader of the Wurundjeri people who populated Melbourne for thousands of years before European settlement.The symbolism was unmistakeable, and both Kevin Sheedy and Terry Wallace acknowledged that — aside from the quest for four premiership points for Richmond and Essendon — tonight was about bridge building, too.

Football as an agent of change in society? Well, why not? If you thought the game tonight was about celebrating Aboriginal football and indigenous footballers, you would only be partly right. Joy Murphy, a Wurundjeri elder who will deliver the "welcome to country" ceremony before the game, says football can make, and has made, a difference in the struggle of Australia’s indigenous people.

The area around the MCG was a meeting place for the Wurundjeri people, and Murphy senses a feeling of contentment among the indigenous players when they step out there. "In my encounters with them, they stand so proud and strong and dignified when they get out on the ’G. It’s always been a sacred place to us."

Phil Egan, the former Richmond footballer who will present the trophy after tonight’s game between the Tigers and Essendon, says Australian football is embarrassing governments into acting on the myriad issues that confront Aborigines. If you think tonight is just a game of footy, you need to talk to Egan, a 127-game Tiger in the 1980s who lectures in the education faculty at Melbourne University, counsels young indigenous boys at Port Phillip Prison and mentors three Richmond players./p>

To Egan, it is all about so much more. "The stamping out of vilification and all those things have been wonderful, but it’s the tip of the iceberg," he said this week. "Football fans and Australians need this. It’s a social conscience thing.The Government won’t say ‘sorry’, and that’s fine.We don’t want them to say sorry if they don’t want to.

"But we want people to understand our history and our culture. Football is a great leveller and a great social environment where people can come together, and if it’s going to be up to the AFL to do what the Government should do, then fine."

Egan spent the first few years of his life on the Manatunga Aboriginal reserve near Robinvale, in the days when Australia practised a form of apartheid. In 1967,when he was four, indigenous people were given the vote for the first time by referendum and as such were acknowledged as Australian citizens, and his family moved out into the wider community.

Looking back now, Egan's reaction is wonder that all this is so recent. "We were allowed to go to school properly, my parents and grandparents were allowed to work without permits, all that sort of thing, and that was only 39 years ago! Sure, a lot of white people can say, 'Hang on, this happened 200 years ago. Get over it!' Hey, this happened in my lifetime. We've done a lot. There is still a long, long way to go.

"But we can't do it until the people understand the facts about our country and the facts about our history. We need a lot more Kevin Sheedys in the world and a lot more organisations taking the line that, 'We've got to do it, and we've got to do it now. Why didn't you protect that rich, wonderful culture that lasted 40,000 years? You took 250 years to destroy it!' We look after yellow spotted frogs and one parrot and old buildings. There's more importance given to that, which is just rubbish in terms of humanity."

Joy Murphy, who is a great-niece of William Barak, says that the famous Aboriginal footballers have provided inspiration. "We've had rough times, but Michael Long and Nicky Winmar and Derek Kickett, going back to Sir Doug Nicholls and Syd Jackson, these people have been at the cutting edge of change. That's just by playing in what was a racist sport."

Murphy's brother, Jim Wandin, was St Kilda's first indigenous player, in 1952; her father (also James), was approached by Collingwood as far back as the 1897, but never ventured from Lake Tyers in East Gippsland, where he was living. "It was way beyond his means," she said.

The AFL has won humanitarian awards for its stamping out of racial vilification in the past 15 years. At the league's 1996 centenary, Ross Oakley, the former league commissioner, commissioned 13 indigenous artists to produce football paintings, and they hang in the lobby of AFL House. They include Ginger Riley's depiction of the MCG reproduced with this article. Riley, the famous indigenous artist who died several years ago, went to his grave with Long's No. 13 Essendon guernsey. He adored Essendon.

"Dreamtime at the 'G", which began last year at the instigation of Sheedy and the AFL, is another step in the reconciliation process. Essendon and Richmond were chosen because their guernseys were thought to best represent the colours of the Aboriginal flag. Sheedy wants the concept to become as big as the Anzac Day blockbuster between Essendon and Collingwood.

They will turn down all the lights at the MCG tonight and create a campfire effect in which Paul Kelly, Peter Garrett, Renee Geyer, Christine Anu and Kutcha Edwards will sing. Long, who is launching his "The Long Walk" as part of the celebrations, will be there singing, too.

As it should be, of course, for it was Essendon's recruiting of Long in 1989 — at a time when clubs were resistant — that kick-started the wave of Aboriginal players who came into the game in the past few years. Aside from that, Long's refusal to accept vilification and his leadership of the campaign against racism in the sport also opened doors for his people that were previously bolted shut.

There are 55 Aboriginal players on AFL lists in 2006, representing almost 12 per cent of all players. Consider that indigenous Australians constitute 2 per cent of Australia's population and the success of the AFL in embracing Aboriginal players is evident.

Yet when Egan played they called him "Flagons", and the likes of Maurice Rioli and Jim Krakouer had to use their fists to combat the abuse. "We found ways to cope," Egan said. "We had to. But there was always one too many comments and one too many players in the opposition side that would use it to try to put you off your game, and that's wrong.

"When I played, I was lucky. We had Maurice and 'Mitch' (Michael Mitchell) and myself. I could look back and say, 'Hey, at least I'm counted as a human being and I've got rights'. When I look back at Pastor Doug Nicholls, Syd Jackson, Polly Farmer, Norm McDonald, George Egan, Ted Lovett, they weren't even (rated as) human. I had nothing to worry about."

Dean Rioli, the Territorian who will return to Essendon's side tonight, feels the same way. Rioli is the nephew of Maurice Rioli, the Richmond champion of the 1980s. "You hear stories about when Maurice played and Phil Egan. I haven't experienced it at all. If that's the way footy is going, hopefully society will follow."

Terry Wallace believes that the burgeoning of Aboriginal players in the AFL can only continue. His club, Richmond, has drafted Richard Tambling and today's debutant, Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls, in the past two years. "The game is now speed, run and carry, and the indigenous boys have got it in volumes," said Wallace.

Sheedy worked this out before just about anyone else, and he had the agent of his original plan sitting beside him at the bridge this week. Long gently, but theatrically, bumped his old coach as Sheedy reeled off a list of Aboriginal sportspeople he admired, as though to remind him that he was missing someone. They have this way of bouncing off each other, a little comedy routine. "Sorry, Michael," said Sheedy. "No, it's OK," said Long.

Sheedy, who is a hero to many Aborigines, played in an era when there were hardly any indigenous players. "We missed out in the VFL days," he said. "When you see a team like Port Power roll out there in the last quarter (of the grand final) two years ago and win a premiership and most of the indigenous players were best on the ground, that's put another wave of interest there in what we can achieve.

"All those young kids out there throughout the country, we're trying to inspire them that they can come and dance here at the MCG any time, because we've got the great game."

Murphy is realistic enough to know that football can't solve everything, but it's some sort of a start. "It's not just a football game. It's telling people that there are big issues that need to be dealt with, and we're not talking about welfare hand-outs. We're talking about real things. It won't solve everything, but if we all chip in and people are given opportunities, if people are given the profile of AFL footballers, their voices will be heard."

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/05/05/1146335927354.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Dreamtime at the 'G 2006
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2006, 05:15:49 AM »
Kellaway has Aboriginal heritage too but the media seem to have forgotten about him  ???.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Moi

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2006, 07:32:17 AM »
I think the Kellaway family would be surprised at that, MT.
As far as i know, and i spoke to a friend of the family who laughed at the suggestion, they have no indigenous heritage.

Bulluss

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2006, 08:56:56 AM »
I have it from a good source, that Wallace and Sheedy made an agreement to play all available Aboriginal players for tonights game.

Ryder will be a late inclusion for the bombers and if it rains Jackson will come in for us also  :shh  :thumbsup

I still dont like the fact that players are being given a "Token" game. You should have to earn it. >:(

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2006, 09:41:55 AM »
Must admitt I find it totally moronic that JON gets a game cause he is 'aboriginal', Polo desrves his chance, he has worked hard and performed well. WTF has Nicholls done - All the same hope he goes allright. I just don't get it. ???

letsgetiton!

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2006, 03:42:23 PM »
As far as i know, and i spoke to a friend of the family who laughed at the suggestion, they have no indigenous heritage.

wayne carey and greg williams from the past are 2 players to never publicly state thay they have aboriginal
ancestory.
jimmy bartel from geelong out of current players is another, but it is strange that he does as i know for a fact he has won aboriginal sporting awards, now u cant win them unless ur aboriginal.
cricketer dizzy gillespie does not talk up his aboriginality either, and in this weeks koori mail, he is on teh front cover and has also won many aboriginal sporting awards.
maybe the kellaways dont talk it up, but do have aboriginal blood lines. if you look at his facial features and bone structure, u can see he does, thats just my opinion, as i am familiar with many aborignal ppl, who through the generations have lost alot of their skin colour. my wife, who is aborignal, told me the kellaways are years ago, i never believed her, until recently.  my kids tonight will enjoy the game, as they are in a way italo/aboriginal australians .lol.....what a mix! too bad footy wise, as my 4 kids are all female!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2006, 04:31:44 PM »

Chubba's photo is on this site with Blingers and Krak - http://afl.lisaj.id.au/tigers.htm

Moi

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2006, 05:48:17 PM »
I just think it is a mistake, MT - maybe someone can clarify it for us.
I don't know about the other side, but one side of the family are Beckwiths, as in John Beckwith and he wasn't aboriginal.
And when i asked a very close friend of the family, they laughed at the suggestion.
I will do some more digging lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2006, 06:15:27 PM »
I just think it is a mistake, MT - maybe someone can clarify it for us.
I don't know about the other side, but one side of the family are Beckwiths, as in John Beckwith and he wasn't aboriginal.
And when i asked a very close friend of the family, they laughed at the suggestion.
I will do some more digging lol

Well if he is then silky skills must have skipped a generation in brother Duncan's case  ;).