Author Topic: State of Umpiring [merged]  (Read 271120 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Umpiring puts 'ducking practice' on Dimma's agenda (afl site)
« Reply #1155 on: July 15, 2018, 07:14:45 AM »
Umpiring puts 'ducking practice' on Dimma's agenda

Sarah Black
afl.com.au
Jul 15, 2018

'DUCKING practice' could be on the agenda at Punt Road this week after Greater Western Sydney inflicted Richmond's fourth interstate loss of the season.

Tigers coach Damien Hardwick couldn't resist a tongue-in-cheek swipe at the umpiring of several tackles during his side's thrilling two-point loss to the Giants at Spotless Stadium.

GWS forward Toby Greene drew a free kick for high contact in a tackle by Tiger defender Nick Vlastuin in the dying minutes of the second quarter, which resulted in a goal.

Earlier in the term, Dustin Martin appealed in vain for a high-contact free kick after being tackled while his head was over the ball, only to be penalised for holding the ball moments later.

"Look, I can't really comment on the umpiring, but it would be fair to say we're going to do a bit of ducking practice at training tonight," Hardwick said with a laugh.

"The game is incredibly hard to umpire, let's make no mistake about that. It was a pretty good contest, transition-wise it was up and back and it's tough. They get a lot right. Sometimes they get some wrong. That's life.

"The game, as I said, I don't think was dominated by umpiring tonight, I thought we saw a pretty good game of footy that we should be looking at the game and that's how it should be played. Two sides going at it for a long period of time and one side got out the winner."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-07-14/umpiring-puts-ducking-practice-on-dimmas-agenda

Offline Buddysucks

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: State of Umpiring [merged]
« Reply #1156 on: July 15, 2018, 09:53:34 AM »
Speaking of dirty grubs, did anyone else notice Toby Green collect the ball and then deliberately launch himself at he knees of the nearby Richmond player. I nearly jumped through the TV to belt the filthy grub.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1157 on: July 15, 2018, 09:56:40 AM »
Speaking of dirty grubs, did anyone else notice Toby Green collect the ball and then deliberately launch himself at he knees of the nearby Richmond player. I nearly jumped through the TV to belt the filthy grub.

Something happened in the second quarter that left Rance on all fours on the goal line after GWS kick a goal

The Grub was walking away with his "what me look?"

Lebowski

« Reply #1158 on: July 15, 2018, 09:58:59 AM »

Yep, that was htb everyday of the week

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #1159 on: July 15, 2018, 09:59:22 AM »
stuffing local element bs.  Sometimes I really wonder if this crap ain't just WWF scripts.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1160 on: July 15, 2018, 01:14:22 PM »
Toby Greene - the most punchable head in the AFL since the glory days of Milne & Ballantyne....
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1161 on: July 15, 2018, 05:06:47 PM »
Toby Greene - the most punchable head in the AFL since the glory days of Milne & Ballantyne....

Followed closely by Viney  :shh
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1162 on: July 16, 2018, 04:29:51 AM »
GWS and Richmond were both underwhelmed by some critical umpiring decisions on Saturday night, with Damien Hardwick quipping his club will now do some "ducking practice".

The Giants pipped the Tigers by two points at Spotless Stadium, with the margin giving both teams plenty of fodder to wonder "what if" had a couple of contentious calls gone their way.

Both Leon Cameron and Damien Hardwick were underwhelmed by umpiring decisions on Saturday night.

GWS coach Leon Cameron indicated his club will contact the the league's umpiring department on Monday, seeking clarification on a number of calls.

Many pundits commented on how the whistle-blowers' interpretation of holding the ball at Spotless seemed different to what it has been for most of the year.

Tigers coach Hardwick and counterpart Cameron both aired some grievances in their post-match press conferences.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/gws-seek-clarification-on-afl-umpire-calls-20180715-p4zrlu.html

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1163 on: July 20, 2018, 10:21:00 PM »
Did their best to support the Ainters

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1164 on: July 20, 2018, 10:35:40 PM »
Did their best to support the Ainters

stuffen bunch of geeks

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1165 on: July 20, 2018, 10:38:31 PM »
Tonight's umpiring was laughable.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1166 on: July 28, 2018, 04:24:30 PM »
Were they experimenting with no head high free kicks for Richmond players today?
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #1167 on: July 28, 2018, 04:40:35 PM »
diving into players backs, No prior opportunity tackling off of the ball was all the rage this week.  Do they have a list of poo they are going to stuff up each week to 'be edgy' or just send me to an early stuffing grave?
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1168 on: July 28, 2018, 04:55:34 PM »
diving into players backs, No prior opportunity tackling off of the ball was all the rage this week.  Do they have a list of poo they are going to stuff up each week to 'be edgy' or just send me to an early stuffing grave?
As I posted in the game thread, explains why the Pies have the best free kick differential whereas we have the worst. Two different set of rules for each team.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1169 on: July 28, 2018, 04:59:31 PM »
I was just waiting for Higgins to be called for a throw.