Author Topic: State of Umpiring [merged]  (Read 360019 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: State of Umpiring [merged]
« Reply #3135 on: July 13, 2024, 04:26:18 AM »
And based on last night's game, the rule of this week is a crackdown on the 15m kick.

But the AFL tried to claim a couple of weeks ago they don't instruct the umps to focus on a rule of the week  ::).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3136 on: July 13, 2024, 10:05:39 AM »
And based on last night's game, the rule of this week is a crackdown on the 15m kick.

But the AFL tried to claim a couple of weeks ago they don't instruct the umps to focus on a rule of the week  ::).

Yep noticed it about 20 mins into the 1st qtr.

But by the final qtr they had gone soft on it

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3137 on: July 13, 2024, 12:58:03 PM »

Yep noticed it about 20 mins into the 1st qtr.

But by the final qtr they had gone soft on it
I don't overly mind the 'rule of the week' thing, at least it shows the AFL are monitoring trends in the game & drawing attention to certain rules. 
What does infuriate me is a free kick rightly paid in the first quarter is then ignored in the last quarter!  Or the second half being umpired completely differently to the first half!   Arrgh!      :thumbsdown
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #3138 on: July 13, 2024, 02:42:10 PM »
Rules & their interpretations shouldn't change at all during a season....and if the rules are any good, they'd be clear cut and wouldn't need any interpretation.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3139 on: July 14, 2024, 08:49:36 PM »
Correct and the impact of that is players play the game and not for free kicks
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3140 on: July 14, 2024, 09:43:45 PM »
So we have a bloke concussed in a tackle after being driven I to the ground, no free, nothing!

Let's see what the MRO says...

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3141 on: July 14, 2024, 09:49:20 PM »
That bald ump was particularly bad. Don’t think he paid us anything all game.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2024, 10:54:36 PM by Tiger Khosh »

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #3142 on: July 14, 2024, 10:51:33 PM »
Baker should have gotten a free when holding, Daicos ( either one) or anyone else would have got one, sick of it

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3143 on: July 15, 2024, 07:53:33 PM »
Bedford's been given a 3 game ban for his dangerous but not a free kick tackle on Taranto

Giants are going to appeal

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3144 on: July 15, 2024, 11:20:47 PM »
Here's the vision of Kmac's 'push' that was paid a downfield free to GWS :facepalm.

https://x.com/Richmond_TT/status/1812387738551029957

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3145 on: July 20, 2024, 04:05:45 AM »
That Keane is a dead set bimbo. I can't believe any of them especially her still actually have a job.

Best sport in the world my arse.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #3146 on: July 20, 2024, 12:39:05 PM »
My issue with Kane is that I feel like she is gaslighting all of us. Speaks confidently, speaks calmly but she doesn't answer the questions that are put to here properly and tell us what is going on when we are seeing something completely differently. The umpiring and rules are a mess, stop telling us the game is umpired better than ever, stop saying the game is better than ever. The game was better in 2017 with kamikaze fast hard and pressure football, the game was better in the 90s.

She says she loves to collaborate yet, clubs have said they feel blindsides by the Father/Son points change. Everyone thinks the NGA change is going back to it being a rort. The rules of the game changes week to week. MRO is confusing and forcing the game to change, rather then let it evolve.

She says players adapt, yes they do adapt but when things feel like a dictatorship with force, it's wrong and is not enjoyable ride to go through as a fan. She wants to make the game safe, well I'm sorry, for anyone who has played the game, the game is not and will never be 'safe'. It's scary playing footy at times, but so is skateboarding, skiing, diving, any contact sport. You can mitigate risk and stamp out acts in the sport that are unacceptable but the evolution of the bump and tackle is getting ridiculous. But this is what makes the game great, makes players brave, make courageous moments worth cheering for. Otherwise we turn into Auskick and the sport becomes non contact game of netball via feet.

Go Tigers!

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #3147 on: July 20, 2024, 04:40:56 PM »
My issue with Kane is that I feel like she is gaslighting all of us. Speaks confidently, speaks calmly but she doesn't answer the questions that are put to here properly and tell us what is going on when we are seeing something completely differently. The umpiring and rules are a mess, stop telling us the game is umpired better than ever, stop saying the game is better than ever. The game was better in 2017 with kamikaze fast hard and pressure football, the game was better in the 90s.

She says she loves to collaborate yet, clubs have said they feel blindsides by the Father/Son points change. Everyone thinks the NGA change is going back to it being a rort. The rules of the game changes week to week. MRO is confusing and forcing the game to change, rather then let it evolve.

She says players adapt, yes they do adapt but when things feel like a dictatorship with force, it's wrong and is not enjoyable ride to go through as a fan. She wants to make the game safe, well I'm sorry, for anyone who has played the game, the game is not and will never be 'safe'. It's scary playing footy at times, but so is skateboarding, skiing, diving, any contact sport. You can mitigate risk and stamp out acts in the sport that are unacceptable but the evolution of the bump and tackle is getting ridiculous. But this is what makes the game great, makes players brave, make courageous moments worth cheering for. Otherwise we turn into Auskick and the sport becomes non contact game of netball via feet.
Great post. Just one point. Netball is not non contact,  as my wife's broken nose will attest. 😀
Yeah we're already going to vote for him mate, you don't need to keep selling it.....

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3148 on: July 20, 2024, 07:47:23 PM »

Great post. Just one point. Netball is not non contact,  as my wife's broken nose will attest. 😀

100%

I've played mixed netball. I made a team with my ward at the hospital so we only ever had like 2 dudes max because we were so outnumbered by the young tail (sigh).

Have to say I was genuinely disgusted by what the girls were allowed to do to me by the refs.

I'm not small 186/104.

Got peeed off with it one day and just decided I would start bumping and shoving this little 8!T<H around because she was getting away with murder, then had to put up with her yelling and grunting and moaning at the ref for the rest of the game like she'd been shot in the foot.

End of the game the little B wouldn't shake my hand.

We lost but I can't tell you how good that felt. Must be what it's like for Lynch...

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3149 on: July 20, 2024, 08:44:37 PM »

Great post

And it was Andrew Dillon who first made the ridiculous comment about the umpires umpiring better than ever

They are all so out of touch, have no feeling for the game