Author Topic: State of Umpiring [merged]  (Read 268502 times)

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: State of Umpiring [merged]
« Reply #1080 on: May 27, 2018, 12:39:46 PM »
The still shot by itself proves nothing!  A frame or two before may be completely conclusive, but how can anybody tell unless those frames are presented too? 
Bring in High Definition, High Speed cameras or GAGF!   
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1081 on: May 27, 2018, 12:42:25 PM »
The funny thing is my mobile phone does 960fps and is demonstrably cleaner in slow motion than the technology used by the MCC........

Go figure!
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1082 on: May 27, 2018, 01:13:04 PM »
The still shot by itself proves nothing!  A frame or two before may be completely conclusive, but how can anybody tell unless those frames are presented too? 

The full replay of it clearly shows the hamds touch the ball AFTER it crossed the line

The fact the incompetents in the review didn't look at all vision is the bigger issue. They looked at one version and made a decision..the wrong one  :banghead
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1083 on: May 27, 2018, 02:29:20 PM »
Vision showed on foxtel clearly a goal

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1084 on: May 27, 2018, 02:52:56 PM »
The funny thing is my mobile phone does 960fps and is demonstrably cleaner in slow motion than the technology used by the MCC........

Go figure!
Bingo!  Even the white cane the umpires used to use was in High Definition!    :help
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #1085 on: May 27, 2018, 03:37:30 PM »

The full replay of it clearly shows the hamds touch the ball AFTER it crossed the line

The fact the incompetents in the review didn't look at all vision is the bigger issue. They looked at one version and made a decision..the wrong one  :banghead

Has it been stated definitively from the umpire department that the review person/s involved only looked at the one vision? How do we know this as a fact?
How do we know they didn’t looked at all vision available and still made decision?
The club that keeps giving.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AFL GM Steven Hocking has 'sympathy' for Dimma over review (afl site)
« Reply #1086 on: May 27, 2018, 04:51:14 PM »
Hocking has 'sympathy' for Dimma over review

Trent Masenhelder
afl.com.au
May 27, 2018 4:03PM

A day after Richmond coach Damien Hardwick labelled the controversial score review system "deplorable" and "an embarrassment to our game", the AFL has conceded it needs some tweaking.

Hardwick delivered a scathing attack on the score review system during his post-match media conference on Saturday, perplexed by the decision to overturn a seemingly obvious Jack Higgins goal during the third term of Richmond's clash with St Kilda.

AFL general manager of football Steven Hocking could sympathise with Hardwick after the Tigers also copped a tough call in the round six win over Collingwood.

"I've got a bit of sympathy for them because there's no doubt the Tigers have been on the wrong end of a number of those at the MCG this year. I can understand his frustration around it," Hocking said on 3AW.

"We've definitely got the basis of a good system, but it needs some work."

In referencing the overturned Higgins goal on Saturday, Hardwick said post-match: "So why do we wait? Why don't we just go back to the centre? He's called a goal. We're asked to trust and respect the umpires, how about we back the goal umpire in and then we go back to the centre?

"And if you haven't figured it out by that stage just let the game go. Momentum in sport is a wonderful thing,"

"I sit there and I still don't know how it got turned over. Seriously, it's an embarrassment to our game. I reckon it really is. The technology is deplorable."

Hocking went on to outline the major issues with the current system.

"They (the reviewers) have access to different vision and I think that’s sort of where the disconnect at times happens. They tend to take it from a wider camera angle, whereas the broadcast feed is the camera that’s really close to the ball and it can distort the view of that," Hocking explained.

"I understand Damian … and acknowledge even fans and also the football industry that there's a bit of frustration around it.

"We've been very clear with the goal umpires that whatever their decision is, unless it's overwhelmingly obvious, you don't change it. We've communicated that to the score reviewers, and clearly we need to continue to do that."

When asked if Richmond was robbed of a goal in its win over the Saints, Hocking said: "No, they weren't. If you're looking at what you've seen, it's a different angle. We'll clear that up during the week," Hocking said.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-27/tigers-goal-review-call-wrong-afl

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: AFL GM Steven Hocking has 'sympathy' for Dimma over review (afl site)
« Reply #1087 on: May 27, 2018, 05:50:32 PM »

Trent Masenhelder
afl.com.au

A day after Richmond coach Damien Hardwick labelled the controversial score review system "deplorable" and "an embarrassment to our game", the AFL has conceded it needs some tweaking.

Hardwick delivered a scathing attack on the score review system during his post-match media conference on Saturday, perplexed by the decision to overturn a seemingly obvious Jack Higgins goal during the third term of Richmond's clash with St Kilda.

AFL general manager of football Steven Hocking could sympathise with Hardwick after the Tigers also copped a tough call in the round six win over Collingwood.

"I've got a bit of sympathy for them because there's no doubt the Tigers have been on the wrong end of a number of those at the MCG this year. I can understand his frustration around it," Hocking said on 3AW.

In referencing the overturned Higgins goal on Saturday, Hardwick said post-match: "So why do we wait? Why don't we just go back to the centre? He's called a goal. We're asked to trust and respect the umpires, how about we back the goal umpire in and then we go back to the centre?

"And if you haven't figured it out by that stage just let the game go. Momentum in sport is a wonderful thing,"

"I sit there and I still don't know how it got turned over. Seriously, it's an embarrassment to our game. I reckon it really is. The technology is deplorable."

"They (the reviewers) have access to different vision and I think that’s sort of where the disconnect at times happens. They tend to take it from a wider camera angle, whereas the broadcast feed is the camera that’s really close to the ball and it can distort the view of that," Hocking explained.

"I understand Damian … and acknowledge even fans and also the football industry that there's a bit of frustration around it.

"We've been very clear with the goal umpires that whatever their decision is, unless it's overwhelmingly obvious, you don't change it. We've communicated that to the score reviewers, and clearly we need to continue to do that."

When asked if Richmond was robbed of a goal in its win over the Saints, Hocking said: "No, they weren't. If you're looking at what you've seen, it's a different angle. We'll clear that up during the week," Hocking said.

Yeah let’s see them release this imaginary footage which proves conclusively it wasn’t over the line......

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #1088 on: May 27, 2018, 06:00:36 PM »
Why then doesn’t the broadcaster and the venue scoreboard only show what the review umpire sees? Then everyone is on the same page.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1089 on: May 27, 2018, 07:05:30 PM »

Trent Masenhelder
afl.com.au

Yeah let’s see them release this imaginary footage which proves conclusively it wasn’t over the line......

They are working on the photoshop as we speak

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #1090 on: May 27, 2018, 07:29:43 PM »
The umpies love us
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1091 on: May 28, 2018, 04:49:34 AM »

Trent Masenhelder
afl.com.au

Same crew as 911  :shh
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1092 on: May 28, 2018, 05:23:14 AM »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1093 on: May 28, 2018, 05:28:00 AM »

The official score review footage looks genuine to me  :whistle.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1094 on: May 28, 2018, 07:20:04 AM »
Why then doesn’t the broadcaster and the venue scoreboard only show what the review umpire sees? Then everyone is on the same page.
You are being way too logical  :snidegrin