Author Topic: Ross Lyon's story about Paul Bulluss' exit meeting  (Read 1552 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Ross Lyon's story about Paul Bulluss' exit meeting
« on: August 04, 2021, 11:35:37 PM »
On Footy Classified tonight they were all talking about exit interviews and Caro asked if any got physical. Ross Lyon told the story about his time at Richmond when he was our assistant coach under Gieschen in 1998.

It was a day or so after the final round 22 match where beating Melbourne would've got us into the finals but instead we got pumped by 76 points with our midfield not giving a yelp. That was the game Jeff Farmer took that speckie in the first 5 minutes and kicked 5.5 for the Dees.

It would be Paul Bulluss' last AFL game as at his exit meeting he was told his career at Richmond was over despite playing 18 games that year.

So Bulluss in response to just getting the lemon and sars walked over to the Club's scales in the gym (these were the old-school tall upstanding scales) and while sending the scales flying yelled out "You wanna sack me a hack defender when your million dollar midfield folds like a deck of cards". A not so subtle dig at Daffy, Knights, Campbell, and co.

Go to 43:30 min mark: https://www.9now.com.au/footy-classified/2021/episode-39

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Re: Ross Lyon's story about Paul Bulluss' exit meeting
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2021, 12:26:24 AM »
Speaking as someone who had the misfortune of attending that particular match I have to say that he had a point... :shh
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 12:52:20 AM by Diocletian »
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2021, 06:52:57 AM »
Liked him as a player. A real character.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2021, 08:52:03 PM »
Speaking as someone who had the misfortune of attending that particular match I have to say that he had a point... :shh
True.

1998 was the year we won in black shorts but lost wearing white shorts ... go figure!  :P

I remember Bruce even having us as a premiership contender when we were 9-6 having just flogged Carlton. Season went downhill quickly after Ben Holland got injured and then we lost to Essendon in that full house game at the 'G where Sheeds broke Dick Reynolds coaching record. By the time we got to round 22 we were just going while Melbourne was flying  :help.

Liked him as a player. A real character.
State of Origin player for SA too.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 09:22:39 AM »
First game I ever left early before the final siren.

All we had to do was lose by less than 17 points or something like that.

I used to shake my head at people who wouldn’t stick around to the end but that game I walked out in disgust by 3/4 time and I never judged a fellow supporter again.
The club that keeps giving.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2021, 12:12:47 PM »
It's a long ride home Tig. I often leave half way through the 4th just so my old man can get a seat on the train.

Only when we're getting well done.