Author Topic: Coburg vs Bendigo - Sunday May 7  (Read 3989 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Coburg vs Bendigo - Sunday May 7
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2006, 09:08:36 PM »
What - No mention of Rodan - Thought today's conditions would have been ideal for him.

I thought Rodan was OK - he played mainly in the centre in the bog - geesh the centre was bad  :help.

Matty White went of in the last quarter with what looked like an ankle but at the end of the game he had his thigh strapped.

Knobel sat out most of the last as well

Shame about Matty White.

WP, how did Meyer go this week and where did he play?
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2006, 09:21:11 PM »

Played up forward. Sometimes out of the forward pocket but mainly HFF or as our 183cm leading CHF. He seemed to be the go to/leading target for most of the game. He didn't spend anytime in the middle that I can recall - he was far to clean at the end of the game to have been in the midfield ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2006, 09:37:02 PM »

Played up forward. Sometimes out of the forward pocket but mainly HFF or as our 183cm leading CHF. He seemed to be the go to/leading target for most of the game. He didn't spend anytime in the middle that I can recall - he was far to clean at the end of the game to have been in the midfield ;D

lol. Thanks WP.

It might be good for Coburg's team balance but it's pretty hard for Danny to press for promotion when he's been played out of position  :P. Unfortunately while Coburg continue to win he'll probably be stuck there.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2006, 09:45:27 PM »

It might be good for Coburg's team balance but it's pretty hard for Danny to press for promotion when he's been played out of position  :P. Unfortunately while Coburg continue to win he'll probably be stuck there.

I thought this week he was much better defensively. He worked really hard in fighting to keep the ball in the Coburg F50.

I would actually like to see him start across a HBF running off the line through the centre at the centre bounces - his skills a good so it would be interesting to see how he adapts to something like that
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2006, 09:52:53 PM »
Patto and Knobel would be now pushing for Staff's spot.

A friend last night argued that we should have all three of Simmonds, Staff and knobes out there. Run Knobel off the bench and rest Simmonds down forward. Can we afford that spot though.

About Rodan, I think he is getting beaten to his position at the moment by an in form and confident Foley. I never thought Rodan was that quick in the first place- clever and cheeky, yes. If you lose the confidence (knee/brain) you lose the tricks, they don't work anymore. I thought Rodan signed a 2 year deal??

Foley's the way to go, he looks great at ground level.
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline Capt. Revenge

• Future Richmond star
  • for i was so much older then.............
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2006, 09:57:37 PM »
rodan=dud
there is no success like failure and failure is no success at all

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2006, 10:31:19 PM »
Patto and Knobel would be now pushing for Staff's spot.

A friend last night argued that we should have all three of Simmonds, Staff and knobes out there. Run Knobel off the bench and rest Simmonds down forward. Can we afford that spot though.

Probably a bit horses for courses depending on whom we're playing but IMO having two big lumbering rucks in Staff and Knobel in the side who don't get much footy would be a disadvantage in what now is a running man's game.

About Rodan, I think he is getting beaten to his position at the moment by an in form and confident Foley. I never thought Rodan was that quick in the first place- clever and cheeky, yes. If you lose the confidence (knee/brain) you lose the tricks, they don't work anymore. I thought Rodan signed a 2 year deal??

Foley's the way to go, he looks great at ground level.

Agree DC that Foley is ahead of D-Rod. We have four blokes under 180cm (Krak, Foley, Rodan and White) and you would think one will have to go.

I believe Rodan is in his final year of his contract. Given he did his knee I think the one he was on was carried over to the end of this year. I think the same thing happened with Rory Hilton last year.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2006, 02:23:37 AM »
Tigers make it three on the trot
08 May 2006   Herald Sun
Geoff Poulter

THE Coburg Tigers continued their march up the VFL ladder yesterday with their third straight win at home.

The Tigers' 45-point triumph over the Bendigo Bombers was achieved in heavy, wintry conditions which turned the match into a slog in the second half.

Only three sides – the Northern Bullants, North Ballarat and Sandringham – have won more games this season than Coburg, which finished second last on the ladder last year and was widely tipped for the wooden spoon this season.

"We are progressing a lot quicker than we thought we would," Coburg coach Andrew Collins said yesterday.

"I think Richmond (Coburg's AFL affiliate) has a very healthy, vibrant young list and obviously Coburg has as well.

"When you combine the two, things are looking good for us.

"I was very satisfied with the win today, they played very strong, disciplined football in the conditions."

Coburg led by 38 points at halftime but wasn't able to put the Bombers away in the second half in deteriorating conditions.

"In these conditions it is pretty tough . . . both sides were tested," Collins said.

Adam Pattison and Alister Neville were busy for the Tigers while Collins said Richmond's Trent Knobel and Jeremy Humm played well.

Coburg faces a tough test against Williamstown, which had the bye in Round 5, at Williamstown next weekend.

"We will obviously assess where we are after playing them. They are obviously one of the strongest three sides going around," Collins said.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,19058219%255E19742,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2006, 06:42:44 PM »
3 In a Row at Home
coburgtigers.com.au
Grant Scott

Round 5

Coburg Tigers 6.3 10.8 12.9 12.15 (87)
Bendigo Bombers 1.1 3.5 4.8 5.12 (42)

The Coburg Tigers made it 3 wins in a row with a solid performance against the Bendigo Bombers at a cold and wet City Oval this week.

Coming off a gutsy win in the wet against the Werribee Tigers the week before, the young Burger Boys took to the heavy conditions early, and at the five minute mark of the first quarter opened up with the first goal of the match via a running shot on goal at the northern end from Dean “Doggie” Limbach. A few minutes later and Luke McGuane found himself on the end of a beautiful Alistair Neville/James Rimington switch play and calmly slotted through the Burgers second.

A scuffle involving the hard nosed Rimington signaled the Burger’s willpower for the day, and it wasn’t long before Vinnie Randello had the Burger’s third goal. A spectacular mark to the highly talented Danny Meyer created a fourth, and a fifth came shortly after from a free kick to the tenacious Nick Carnell.

But the Burgers weren’t finished there. A strong mark in the goal square to Doggie Limbach (who looked like he had War and Peace written on his hand) made it six goals for the term. The struggling Bombers could only register a single behind for the quarter and trailed at the quarter time siren by 38 points.

The Burger’s backline was irresistible. McGuane, Neville, Rimington, along with Daniel Jackson who was dropping back, were all providing a solid wall of resistance. Adam Pattison at centre half forward had the better of the Bombers’ Jay Neagle and Trent Knobel was having an intriguing battle with young Patrick Ryder, the Essendon Bombers first pick of the 2005 AFL National Draft.

The first five minutes of the second quarter saw two goals to the Bombers courtesy of Essendon senior list players Damien Peverill and Courtenay Dempsey. But thanks to the continuing domination of Pattison and Jackson, and an impassable Travis Jorgensen at the deep end, the Burgers regained the ascendancy and goals to Randello, Eric Kuret, Pattison and Limbach saw the Burgers go in at half time with a commanding 45 point lead. Ex North Heidelberg boy Jacob King continued his good form of late, and along with a hard working Matthew White, both managed to have an influence on matters throughout the quarter.

A heavy downpour of rain at the half made conditions even more difficult and the score line over the next two quarters reflected as much.

A running goal to Eric Kuret at the four minute mark of the third quarter saw the Burgers go further ahead. Between the superior skills of the Coburg players and their harder application in the contests, the result was looking as grim for the Bombers as the surrounding rain clouds. Another goal came to the dominating Jackson at the eleven minute mark. The Bombers fourth goal of the match came via Ryder at the twenty four minute mark, but with Pattison continuing to control the air, and McGuane, King and Jorgensen still in control in the defensive half, the game was now out of reach for the Bombers. The three quarter time result had a pleased Andy Collins see his side up by an overwhelming 49 points.

The final quarter saw just the solitary goal kicked – that coming for the Bombers from the boot of Essendon listed player Joel Reynolds. The remainder of the quarter saw numerous missed set shots on goal from some tired players in the heavy conditions. Jackson through the midfield, Knobel in the ruck, and Pattison at centre half forward continued to exert their authority, whilst Neville across half back and Meyer across half forward also made solid contributions during the quarter, the game eventually petering out into a comfortable 45 point win for our boys.

This week’s win now elevates the young Burgers into 5th spot on the TRUenergy VFL ladder with an enthralling showdown set for next week against the 4th placed Williamstown, the match set for Sunday, 2.00 pm at Burbank Oval.

Congratulations to Sean Bourke who made his senior debut for Coburg this week. Well done Bourkey - here’s to many more games in the Burger jumper and also to the Coburg Reserves who are now 4th on the ladder with three wins.

As I mentioned last week, these young Burger Boys are playing an inspired brand of footy under new coach Andy Collins. Get along to Burbank Oval this Sunday if you can and give them your support. You’ll like the way these young fellas go about their business.

http://coburgtigers.com.au/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2006, 06:46:01 PM »
Leading Goalkickers

Seniors After Round 5

D. Limbach 6
J. Mullins 6
C. Hughes 5
E. Kuret 5
D. Meyer 4
J. Humm 3

P. Shelton 3
D. Rodan 3
A. Krakouer 3
D. Polo 3
D. Jackson 3
L. McGuane 3

V. Randello 2
M. White 2
G. Stafford 2
A. Pattison 2

N. Carnell 2
M. Chaffey 1
N. Foley 1

A. Neville 1
J. Oakley-Nicholls 1
T. Jorgensen 1
C. Howat 1
J. Rimington 1

Reserves After Round 5

C. Hughes 7
A. Graham 5

R. Edwards 5
B. Chambers 4
L. McGuane 4
D. Strachan 4
G. Brown 4
J. Mullins 3
R. Hurst 3
M. Farrelly 3
L. Ryan 3
T. Knoble 2
N. Carnell 2
R. Young 2
A. Walsh 2
B. Allen 2
S. Bourke 1
M. Farrelly 1
S. Robertson 1
D. Limbach 1
T. Burley 1
N. Caruso 1
M. Baker 1
G. Bowes 1
B. Condor 1
AS. Gill 1
AJ. Gill 1

Sumatran TIger

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2006, 04:35:18 PM »
Matty White went of in the last quarter with what looked like an ankle but at the end of the game he had his thigh strapped.

Spoke to him during the week.

Corkie to this thigh. No problems with ankle.

General soreness from a muddy in and under tough game.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2006, 04:53:10 PM »

Spoke to him during the week.

Corkie to this thigh. No problems with ankle.

General soreness from a muddy in and under tough game.

Thanks for that ST  :). Matty ran around fine at training yesterday.