Author Topic: Round 1, 2022: Richmond vs Carlton @ the MCG, Thurs. March 17  (Read 32467 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Round 1, 2022: Richmond vs Carlton @ the MCG, Thurs. March 17
« Reply #315 on: March 20, 2022, 05:29:21 PM »
Playing 9 talls instead of the usual 7 means 1 or 2 less runners/mids , i wonder how much of an affect that had..
plus playing slow average players like aarts and ross on the wing..
Need a better structure , like melbourne
True HB. Jack out (one less tall) and with Kmac back on a wing hopefully forces us into at least a better structure this week with the standard 2 KPFs, 2 KPDs & 2 Rucks.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #316 on: March 20, 2022, 07:32:24 PM »
Yeah midfield is screwed without Prestia and lambert. Not to mention an underdone Graham. Those 3 are crucial. No hard in rcd for ross at this stage.

Prestia has been on one leg since 2019 and Lambert is also old and struggling to get on the park. Their days are very numbered. Cotchin even worse, Edwards also ageing.

And yet we drafted 1 potential mid in Sonsie. I'd have liked 3 mids and 2 talls. Instead we stocked up on half back flankers.

Yep I couldnt agree more, I was staggered draft night with the selections.

And on top of that our most damaging mid in Bolton was hardly in there

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #317 on: March 20, 2022, 07:34:03 PM »
Cerra has had at least 5 free kicks from falling forward

Yep bloke has the weakest knees I’ve ever seen

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #318 on: March 20, 2022, 07:36:09 PM »
Cerra has had at least 5 free kicks from falling forward

Yep bloke has the weakest knees I’ve ever seen

yep- and the rules of the current game reward such acts... :banghead

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #319 on: March 20, 2022, 08:19:03 PM »
Playing 9 talls instead of the usual 7 means 1 or 2 less runners/mids , i wonder how much of an affect that had..
plus playing slow average players like aarts and ross on the wing..
Need a better structure , like melbourne

Melbourne normally go with 8 talls.
The thing that stands out for me is the number of smalls we play every week as many as 11 at times.
Melbourne go roughly
8 talls 8 mediums and 6 smalls.

We only have the one power house mid in dusty that is good height and big bodied 187/90. the next biggest is Cotchin at 185/85 he hardly what you would call a big mid.
It just seems to me we have our issues with bigger mids because we dont have the size to match up on them hence i think the missed tackle count or the ease they seem to get their hands free to off load.

Will look into it as best i can but that is the feel i get when i watch us.

Thought it was crazy to play two ruckmen when we had the extra key fwd and agree thursdays set up was too tall

A player type we really lack is 188 -  192cm tall fwds who can take a grab but are quick and agile.

Id have no problem with two key fwds a 188 - 190ish  medium and a couple of goal kicking small as our fwd line set up but we dont have the players on the list to set up like that so its usually two talls 3 smalls and dusty and others rotating thru there.

Yeah midfield is screwed without Prestia and lambert. Not to mention an underdone Graham. Those 3 are crucial. No hard in rcd for ross at this stage.

Prestia has been on one leg since 2019 and Lambert is also old and struggling to get on the park. Their days are very numbered. Cotchin even worse, Edwards also ageing.

And yet we drafted 1 potential mid in Sonsie. I'd have liked 3 mids and 2 talls. Instead we stocked up on half back flankers.

Yep I couldnt agree more, I was staggered draft night with the selections.

And on top of that our most damaging mid in Bolton was hardly in there

Yep we have had this discussion. Maybe not staggered but definately had an opportunity to address some midfield issues .

Going to keep on copping crap for this next one but i still think Luke Dunstan would have been a  good to get as a f/a on a short contract and minor wages. Getting him was the cover in case Prestia went down.

We lack inside and purely as an inside player he was the best available player to offer a bit of cover and depth for us in this.

His inside stats last yr  went at the following

25.0 Disposals - he got plenty of ball
16.7 Effective disposals.
5.0 Tackles- lots of tackles so when he didnt get first hands on it he was applying plenty of pressure
6.0 clearances just what we lack
4.5 score involvements
366 metres gained.

While his offensive game is nothing grand for an inside mid its okay. His inside game was pretty darn good and with the outside players we have we would have got him for some competitiveness at stoppages.

When you look at the inside game of our youngsters and even a player like Graham, Dunstan would have been a great fit for us even if it was to only fill in when injury hit. Id say atm our vfl team could do with some grunt inside and a few more mature heads about the place.

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #320 on: March 20, 2022, 10:26:06 PM »
We had the lowest inside 50’s for round 1 with only 40 :banghead

Even West Coast had more inside 50’s than us and their list has been decimated.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #322 on: March 21, 2022, 02:58:38 PM »
AFL Report Card: Round 1

Ben Cotton, David Zita, Catherine Healey and Max Laughton
Foxsports
21 March 2022

RICHMOND

Not the ideal start to the season for the Tigers in a rare Round 1 loss to the Blues. Richmond had control for a significant portion of the night, but got smashed in clearances 2-17 in the fourth quarter as Carlton’s midfield domination helped them run over the top of Damien Hardwick’s side. Adding to the Tigers’ woes were injury setbacks to Dion Prestia (hamstring) and Jack Riewoldt (suspected broken thumb). Despite sticking with — and even leading Carlton on the scoreboard for the majority of the night, there weren’t many positives. Although North Melbourne great David King did highlight the Tigers’ ability to switch gears and play more a measured game in addition to their chaos style.

In the votes

Shai Bolton (16 disposals, three goals) was brilliant for Richmond, particularly early, and showed he’s in for a big season, while Noah Balta kicked two goals after switching forward in the third quarter after keeping Charlie Curnow quiet. Unfortunately, not many others Tigers were up for the fight.

Room for improvement

There’s several things for the Tigers to work on, but being more competitive in the midfield is a clear priority. Carlton — even without Sam Walsh — smashed them inside the contest behind big outings from Matt Kennedy, Patrick Cripps, Adam Cerra and George Hewett. This makes the loss of Prestia that much harder to bear. Richmond will need wise heads Dustin Martin and Trent Cotchin to take ownership on the ball and several others to step up.

Grade

D+

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-report-card-round-1-2022-afl-news-analysis-every-club-graded-best-and-worst-players-votes-reaction/news-story/819f4c3c3ecb36b17fbb2d0007e8f669

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #323 on: March 21, 2022, 05:13:53 PM »
Coaches votes (Hardwick & Voss)

Carlton v Richmond

10 Patrick Cripps (CARL)
8 Matthew Kennedy (CARL)
6 Adam Cerra (CARL)
4 George Hewett (CARL)
1 Sam Docherty (CARL)
1 Marc Pittonet (CARL)

https://www.afl.com.au/news/724536/coaches-votes-r1-big-guns-dominate-five-goal-debutant-rewarded

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #324 on: March 22, 2022, 02:54:21 PM »
The AFL website saying Carlton only got two goals from centre bounces to our one.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/724549/why-round-one-was-an-afl-6-6-6-special-and-goals-from-centre-clearances-rained

Not what it looked like  :P.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #325 on: March 22, 2022, 09:11:40 PM »
Jack on AFL360 talking about the loss.

- Looking at the game worm, we were 4 goals up twice in the game. We should have won.

- Really poor last quarter. Beaten by 15 in centre clearances. It's most frustrating when you get beaten by what you know you can be beaten by. We know Carlton are a fantastic contested ball side with a really good midfield in Cripps, Cerra, Hewett and with Sam Walsh to be added. We had to go with them in the middle of the ground and the contested ball especially in the centre of the ground. Disappointing loss.

- It's only round 1 and there's 21 round to go.

- Agree with Robbo that the lack of fight was disappointing.

Go to 9:00 min mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNYJl5Cllyc

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond