Author Topic: 2021 Draft thread  (Read 121570 times)

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: 2021 Draft thread
« Reply #225 on: September 25, 2021, 05:29:01 PM »
Watched the third and was glad when it finished. Poor game to watch with not much happening from the guys presenting for selection. Van Rooyen did not feel the leather or get close to a contest- he wasn't alone...
Think the Vic talent will dominate the draft.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #226 on: September 25, 2021, 06:04:00 PM »
Watched the third and was glad when it finished. Poor game to watch with not much happening from the guys presenting for selection. Van Rooyen did not feel the leather or get close to a contest- he wasn't alone...
Think the Vic talent will dominate the draft.
True it was an ordinary standard. WA were missing a few of their better kids who play tomorrow in the WAFL while Amiss (knee/medial?) & Draper (collarbone) both went off before half-time. SA were missing their best kids such as Horne-Francis & Roberts who played last night for South Adelaide's senior side and kicked 5 of the six Panthers goals between them.

The best skilled player on the ground for mine and one of the best for SA was Wanganeen-Milera.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #228 on: September 26, 2021, 03:41:29 PM »
Jay Clark in the HeraldSun's live chat:

"I'm told the Tigers have an interest in Ben Hobbs in this year's draft. Competitive midfielder who loves to have a crack.

To get him the Tigers would have to move up from 7 to 3. So, I think there is a big chance there is a deal here between the Suns and Tigers, but plenty to play out."

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #229 on: September 27, 2021, 04:19:08 PM »
A top 50 from another one of BF's regular draft watchers (Chris25):

1. Jason Horne-Francis (184cm, 78kg from SA)
2. Nick Daicos (183cm, 72kg from Vic Metro)
3. Neil Erasmus (188cm, 80kg from WA)
4. Finn Callaghan (189cm, 82kg from Vic Metro)
5. Josh Ward (181cm, 79kg from Vic Metro)
6. Josh Rachele (180cm, 78kg from Vic Country)
7. Matthew Roberts (184cm, 80kg from SA)
8. Sam Darcy (204cm, 75kg from Vic Metro)
9. Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera (188cm, 70kg from SA)
10. Jye Amiss (195cm, 83kg from WA)

I think my opinion has been pretty clear, Jason Horne-Francis is the clear #1. I think he (and Matt Rowell) are the best juniors I've seen. Does that mean he's a future Brownlow winner? Not necessarily. The last junior as good as him to come from the SANFL was Bryce Gibbs. But if I can't be excited over Horne-Francis, then I never can be. He's a star defensively, and I think almost equally as good offensively. In my opinion, JFH is the best prospect and he's about two levels ahead of the next player.

And that #2 is Nick Daicos. And I have him about one level ahead of the next couple of players. I think Daicos is excellent at what he does through the midfield, and is a very dangerous forward as well. He sets up the play well and makes the right choices. The only criticism I've had of him is he floats around the back of the packs too much and pads his stat sheet. If he played forward of centre more, he would be so much more damaging. I'd much rather 25 touches and 1 goal through the middle and across half forward, than 40 touches behind the ball. And the reason I'm pretty optimistic about his future is because I think he'll have to play more of that role.

Next up I have Neil Erasmus and Finn Callaghan about equal. I don't think Erasmus goes as high as BigFooty might pick him, but I really like him and have before the podcast tried to claim him as their own. He's not an elite kick, but he does just about everything else - forward and through the middle. And Callaghan is easily the best outside midfielder in the draft, there's a bit of Josh Kelly to his game - I reckon North would love to pick him, shame Horne-Francis is too good to pass on.

For the rest of the top 10, Josh Ward is one of my favourites and it's a real shame he hasn't gotten to play more this year. I think he's a complete midfielder and an influential one. Matty Roberts is higher than probably most would have, but I just like him. He's more versatile than people might give him credit for and he's just a good solid footballer. He may well drop deep into the teens, but he'll be good value. And Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera, well he's just a star with the ball in hand. Best kick in the draft and is a forward's dream.

The one that stands out on my list would probably be Sam Darcy at #8. There's a very good chance he'd be higher if he'd have played more this year, but obviously he hasn't. So he's not. It's hard not to compare KPPs to those from previous years, and I just don't think Darcy has the game of someone like Thilthorpe or the King's. But, I do still have him as the top KPP in this draft regardless. He might not have the speed off the mark that some do, but not many his size move the way he does. I think he'll make an excellent defender.

11. Josh Sinn (186cm, 73kg from Vic Metro)
12. Matthew Johnson (192cm, 80kg from WA)
13. Arlo Draper (186cm, 75kg from SA)
14. Ben Hobbs (183cm, 80kg from Vic Country)
15. Jacob van Rooyen (194cm, 88kg from WA)
16. Tyler Sonsie (181cm, 77kg from Vic Metro)
17. Josh Gibcus (195cm, 84kg from Vic Country)
18. Mitch Knevitt (193cm, 83kg from Vic Country)
19. Darcy Wilmot (183cm, 75kg from Vic Metro)
20. Josh Goater (190cm, 79kg from Vic Country)

The whole 5-15 group will be interesting to watch. There'll be some perceived sliders and bolters, and I reckon at least a couple of stars will come from this group. So it's not all bad news for the finals teams. This draft has quite a few 190cm mids, with Matt Johnson arguably being the most accomplished. Meanwhile I'm pretty bullish on what Mitch Knevitt can do, and Josh Goater has quite a fan club too.

Josh Gibcus is lower than most would have him, and that's probably more about value than it is a statement about him as a prospect. He does look good and it's easy to see how a team will love him, I'm just not sure I'd be taking a KPD much higher than this - not when I compare the level of midfield talent available in the top 10 versus the second round. I personally prefer Jacob van Rooyen anyway with his forward ability.

21. Leek Alleer (196cm, 84kg from SA)
22. Mac Andrew (200cm, 70kg from Vic Country)
23. Brady Hough (189cm, 71kg from WA)
24. Campbell Chesser (186cm, 83kg from Vic Country)
25. Jesse Motlop (176cm, 74kg from WA)
26. Zac Taylor (180cm, 74kg from Vic Metro)
27. Jack Williams (195cm, 91kg from WA)
28. Ned Long (192cm, 88kg from Vic Metro)
29. Blake Howes (190cm, 79kg from Vic Metro)
30. Cooper Beecken (190cm, 73kg from SA)

I agree with the general idea that the draft really opens up around the second round. You can throw a blanket over about 8-12 guys who'll be in the first round mix, and then the next 20 is pretty even again. And this is where the good clubs earn their salary.

If it's not clear on the main board, the Fremantle board at least knows how highly I've rated Leek Alleer all year. As an intercept defender, he's the best in the draft. As for the other SA boy, I rate Cooper Beecken - I just don't think he's really gotten to show off yet. Unfortunately when you're 190cm in the SA set up, you're always made to play taller and less attacking. There's a Will Day vibe to him though, whether it's off half back or through the wings.

And from there, who knows where clubs will go. Zac Taylor is one who could surprise on draft day, he'd be up there as one of the best kicks on offer. Ned Long and Blake Howes have the desired size and still a good level of unknown/intrigue about them. The same goes for Brady Hough who has shaped as a late riser over the last month.

31. Connor Macdonald (184cm, 65kg from Vic Country)
32. Josh Fahey (186cm, 76kg from GWS)
33. Joshua Browne (185cm, 77kg from WA)
34. Cooper Murley (178cm, 70kg from SA)
35. Rhett Bazzo (195cm, 81kg from WA)
36. Jase Burgoyne (186cm, 65kg from SA)
37. Lewis Rayson (183cm, 69kg from SA)
38. Sam Butler (184cm, 73kg from Vic Country)
39. Isaiah Dudley (168cm, 70kg from SA)
40. Tom Brown (184cm, 73kg from Vic Country)

If I was to put up my rankings from a couple of months ago, a lot of this group would be higher than they are now. So that's promising for the depth of this draft. It's not so much that they've dropped, just that I like others more at the moment. I could see someone like Connor McDonald or Tom Brown go earlier in the second round, and most have Sam Butler higher than this.

Joshua Browne is perhaps the unluckiest one here, he's been around my top 20 for most of the year. After having a month off, he's returned in good form looking at the stats sheet. I just have to watch a bit more before I put him right back up there, hopefully he plays in the next game against SA.

41. Hugh Jackson (181cm, 70kg from SA)
42. James Willis (180cm, 75kg from SA)
43. Judson Clarke (179cm, 69kg from Vic Country)
44. Zac Becker (190cm, 92kg from SA)
45. Toby Conway (204cm, 90kg from Vic Country)
46. Kade Dittmar (186cm, 90kg from WA)
47. Morgan Ferres (190cm, 80kg from SA)
48. Alastair Lord (180cm, 76kg from SA)
49. Will Spain (178cm, 69kg from SA)
50. Luka Whitelum (188cm, 77kg from SA)

And as is customary for me, I've filled the last few spots mainly with some of my top rated South Australians remaining. Hugh Jackson's second half of the year hasn't hit the same heights as the first half, he's getting a bit more attention now but he's still playing some decent football. If it wasn't for injury, I think Alastair Lord's name would be mentioned more as an attacking half back. And I rate Will Spain as one of the safest picks in the draft, at the very least he'll be a very good defensive forward.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2021-young-talent-time.1287669/post-72371482

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #230 on: September 28, 2021, 05:13:31 AM »
"My information is Mac Andrew goes in the top five - I think to GWS.

A shame for Melbourne as he is in their NGA."

- Matt Rendell.

https://twitter.com/traderadio/status/1442387567370928139

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #231 on: September 28, 2021, 07:54:28 AM »
That would be gold

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #232 on: September 28, 2021, 02:09:42 PM »
If we're taking best available regardless of needs with our first pick than for mine it's Wanganeen-Millerra out of those likely to still be on the board.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #233 on: September 28, 2021, 02:35:27 PM »
Hoping one of Hobbs Erasmus or Ward will be there , and then if miss, Amiss

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #234 on: September 28, 2021, 04:14:13 PM »
Judging from his "highlights" package, Hobbs' looks decidedly ordinary to me... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #235 on: September 28, 2021, 07:01:40 PM »
Judging from his "highlights" package, Hobbs' looks decidedly ordinary to me... :shh

Cool - 1 minute of highlights and you're ready to head up recruiting now.

Online FooffooValve

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #236 on: September 28, 2021, 07:08:20 PM »

Cool - 1 minute of highlights and you're ready to head up recruiting now.

:snidegrin  - basically sums up the internet these days...

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #237 on: September 29, 2021, 05:06:48 AM »
Jacob van Rooyen looks good

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #238 on: September 29, 2021, 06:54:52 AM »
SNIP  :banghead

Debate and stick to the topic without the abuse or name calling

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond