Author Topic: ON THE BENCH: AFL set to introduce strict new concussion protocols  (Read 1711 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
ON THE BENCH: AFL set to introduce strict new concussion protocols

Glenn Valencich
Published: 25/01/2021Updated: 25 January 2021 6:17 PM

AFL and AFLW players are set to miss more games with concussion as the league finalises plans to extend the mandatory rest period following a diagnosis.

Players are currently required to sit out seven days, long enough to enable a return to the field the following weekend in most cases.

But 7NEWS understands the waiting period will be pushed out to at least 10 days for the 2021 season, all but enforcing players to miss one game for recovery purposes.

The decision will have a significant impact on the finals and particularly the grand final, but it comes amid fresh concerns over brain injuries.

It was revealed this week that former Richmond player Shane Tuck, who died last year aged 38, had been diagnosed with chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE).

A degenerative condition with symptoms such as memory loss and depression, CTE is caused by repeated head knocks and it can only be diagnosed after death.

Football greats Graham ‘Polly’ Farmer and Danny Frawley were both diagnosed after they died in 2019.

CTE concerns have prompted Hawthorn great John Platten, 57, to speak out about his symptoms in the past, while Western Bulldogs premiership player Liam Picken has already pledged to donate his brain to research.

Ongoing concussion symptoms following a knock during a match in 2018 forced Picken to retire at the age of 32.

The AFL is expected to announce the updated protocols later this week ahead of Thursday’s AFLW season opener between Carlton and Collingwood.

Brad Ebert was concussed in his final game in last year's finals. Credit: Getty

The ‘return to play’ rules have been tightened multiple times in recent years.

“We have strengthened match day protocols for the identification and management of concussion, we continue to change the laws of the game to discourage high contact,” AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan said last year.

“We also moved earlier this season to change the tribunal rules to more strictly sanction tackles that endanger the head ... and further strengthened the return to play aspects of the concussion management guidelines.”

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/on-the-bench-afl-set-to-introduce-strict-new-concussion-protocols-c-2027054
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: ON THE BENCH: AFL set to introduce strict new concussion protocols
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 03:00:20 PM »
Cornes wants the week off before the finals moved to after the Prelims so concussed players don't miss the GF.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 08:35:13 AM »
Week off sounds good to me and break before GF also reasonable. Gives the best sides a chance to field their best players.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 06:52:20 PM »
7news says the new concussion protocol will be a minimum 12 day break. Longer if concussion symptoms persist.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 08:58:00 PM »
Good call by HQ

I've always believed that players should not be allowed to play the next game after suffering a concussion

Far too risky
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)