Author Topic: Importants things to note  (Read 2864 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Importants things to note
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2006, 02:58:42 PM »
Another important thing to note - our woeful percentage. Only Brisbane's is worse. I don't want to be a doom and gloom merchant, but over the last decade I reckon we have nearly always had a worse % than those teams on or around the same number of points and it shows that we can scrap for wins, but we get thumped against the big boys. When we start improving this I'll start thinking about finals footy.

Agree Jake. Poor pecentage has cost us finals in the past at least 3-4 times in the past 12 years. I don't think we'll make September this year but to do so we'll need to win 13 games. So that's 10 of the next 16.

If we had kicked straight the past two weeks we could have made up a fair bit of the % we lost to the dogs in round 1.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2006, 03:58:03 PM »
Another important thing to note - our woeful percentage. Only Brisbane's is worse. I don't want to be a doom and gloom merchant, but over the last decade I reckon we have nearly always had a worse % than those teams on or around the same number of points and it shows that we can scrap for wins, but we get thumped against the big boys. When we start improving this I'll start thinking about finals footy.

Was thinking about this on the weekend.  77%, after 3 wins tells a story.  And we’ve beaten the 3 teams currently placed 14th, 15th and 16th, as well.

It's only still early in the season, but it puts things in perspective when you consider that Geelong has lost one more game than us, yet are on 113%.

Maybe we are getting too worried about the %. Not many predicted finals this year and most just wanted to see general improvement and more kids getting a chance - which is happening. Win as many games as we can is the main target now and what ever will be will be.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2006, 04:22:48 PM »

Maybe we are getting too worried about the %. Not many predicted finals this year and most just wanted to see general improvement and more kids getting a chance - which is happening. Win as many games as we can is the main target now and what ever will be will be.

Agree that we shouldn't be worried if we dont make the finals. I'm not necessarily worried where we finish so long as Wallace keeps backing the kids.

However, the % in my mind is a truer indication of a team's overall proficiency and in our case is a reflection on a few things.

1) Us getting drawn into a scrap when we should win comfortably. This sort of siege mentality is alright when you are playing teams around your own skill level, but it is quite reactionary and when it falls apart it falls apart big style.

2) The continual problems we have in the forward structure and/or in the past lacking goal kicking midfielders. I thought Richo and Staff/Simmonds got in each others way an awful lot on Saturday. Whatever the issues we are really struggling to kick a big score despite playing a fairly attacking style of game. Maybe its just a matter of accuracy.

Moi

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2006, 04:23:26 PM »

Was thinking about this on the weekend.  77%, after 3 wins tells a story.  And we’ve beaten the 3 teams currently placed 14th, 15th and 16th, as well.

It's only still early in the season, but it puts things in perspective when you consider that Geelong has lost one more game than us, yet are on 113%.

Spot on.  Is easy to get carried away when we win and especially when we knock off the Bombers, but we are rebuilding.  If we make the finals, that will be a bonus i reckon.  I don't expect to make it, but who knows.  Rapt about the kids though  :thumbsup

letsgetiton!

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2006, 05:05:03 PM »
ok perspective here
1 game cost us heaps of %, we can get it back as the yr goes, but its not the issue, the issue is we have to win games, and beating sydney is our focus, 1 pt will do to get the 4 needed for the ladder.
% will sort itself out

btw, we beat essendon who were in pretty good form , even thought they were losing, we beat essendon after they had a psychological hold over us, forget last yr, they thumped us in mildura remember!
the blues, also were in ok form til this week. and they also have a psychological hold over us, remember the dome llast yhr, we should have won that and got spanked!
lets focus on winnning games and % wont be an issue

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2006, 05:32:00 PM »

General improvement covers many areas.  % tells part of the story for any team.  It's not a significant factor in terms of making finals this year, because we don't really expect to.

Just the same, it does inidcate there's a lot of improvement still needed, in many areas, in case anyone wants to get ahead of themselves.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2006, 06:24:45 PM »
Polo was absolute awesome, keep up the form and he an Raines will be winner and runner-up for the Rising Deledio