Author Topic: GPS vests  (Read 2333 times)

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
GPS vests
« on: May 08, 2006, 04:26:20 PM »
See a few of our players wearing what Luke Darcy said was a GPS device on Saturday. They look like they would be a bit irritating hanging out the top the players jumpers. Anyone seen them close up?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: GPS vests
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 04:39:18 PM »
I haven't seen them up close but the bit that hangs out the top is a pouch/pocket and I've seen trainers pull out some gagdet that looks around the size of a mobilephone which presumably holds all the readings and data relating to distances ran, heart rate, etc...
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Jackstar

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 06:27:56 PM »
I haven't seen them up close but the bit that hangs out the top is a pouch/pocket and I've seen trainers pull out some gagdet that looks around the size of a mobilephone which presumably holds all the readings and data relating to distances ran, heart rate, etc...

Correct, they have been wearing them all year

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 07:04:57 PM »
Seemed like more than half the team were wearing them v. Carlton whereas only a few last weekend. My last job involved GPS design and I am surprised that they can get the readings quickly and accurately enough to be of use.

Maybe Cricket Australia need to get one fitted to Warnie's specifications though after his latest exploits.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 09:53:45 PM »
Gee I'm right on the pulse of whats going on atTigerland....I thought they we some sort of neck protector.   :help

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 09:57:22 PM »
Richo's been wearing one the last 3 weeks
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 10:19:13 AM »
Gee I'm right on the pulse of whats going on atTigerland....I thought they we some sort of neck protector.   :help

I thought they were ice vests :-[

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 04:51:09 AM »
Laidley wants the GPS vests on all players during games.

Laidley push for GPS technology in games
14 December 2006   Herald-Sun
Damian Barrett

DEAN Laidley wants AFL match statistics to include players' heart rates and distance covered.

So impressed is the Roos coach with training-track data produced instantly via Global Positioning System (GPS) technology that he hopes the AFL allows it in games.

"To me, it is a natural next step with this technology," Laidley said. "It would benefit coaches and players. Instantly, we know how hard a player is working and has been working.

"We can get that information live from this system. We are not guessing on a player's work-rate or how much time he has spent in a particular (energy output) zone.

"As it stands, those types of judgments in a match are made by the eye.

"It would be great to remove that guesswork and go with the science that is readily available.

Full article here: http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,20925139%255E19742,00.html

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 10:41:57 AM »
Maybe Dean wants some scientific reasoning to send Nathan Thompson back on the ground when he takes himself off.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 12:46:18 PM »
Laidley wants the GPS vests on all players during games.

Laidley push for GPS technology in games
14 December 2006   Herald-Sun
Damian Barrett

DEAN Laidley wants AFL match statistics to include players' heart rates and distance covered.

So impressed is the Roos coach with training-track data produced instantly via Global Positioning System (GPS) technology that he hopes the AFL allows it in games.

"To me, it is a natural next step with this technology," Laidley said. "It would benefit coaches and players. Instantly, we know how hard a player is working and has been working.

"We can get that information live from this system. We are not guessing on a player's work-rate or how much time he has spent in a particular (energy output) zone.

"As it stands, those types of judgments in a match are made by the eye.

"It would be great to remove that guesswork and go with the science that is readily available.

Full article here: http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,20925139%255E19742,00.html

Well this comment proves Laidley is a few sandwiches short of a picnic. This guy has no idea. Next thing you know players will have camera's & mics attached to them. Aren't there enough statistics in the game already?? I say let the players get on with playing the game. Can you imagine a broadcaster showing the current health stats of certain players during a game?? What if an opposition coach was to get this info??  Its open to abuse IMO and should be forgotten forever!!

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 01:06:45 PM »
I didn't think the Roos could afford the GPS stuff  :rollin

;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 04:22:13 PM »
Well this comment proves Laidley is a few sandwiches short of a picnic. This guy has no idea. Next thing you know players will have camera's & mics attached to them. Aren't there enough statistics in the game already?? I say let the players get on with playing the game. Can you imagine a broadcaster showing the current health stats of certain players during a game?? What if an opposition coach was to get this info??  Its open to abuse IMO and should be forgotten forever!!

Laidley = Spud mark II. He does't need a GPS system to tell him Jonathan Hay is a dud and giving up good draft picks for him was a bad idea.   

Next he'll want a stat on how many stats he's using  :wallywink.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2006, 02:38:50 AM »
It said on the news last night that a solar flare stuffed up the GPS system for 2 hours. At least Laidley will have another excuse when North loses  ;D.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2006, 11:33:39 AM »
It said on the news last night that a solar flare stuffed up the GPS system for 2 hours. At least Laidley will have another excuse when North loses  ;D.
:rollin :rollin