Author Topic: Cubs to the fore once more (RFC site)  (Read 1684 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Cubs to the fore once more (RFC site)
« on: May 16, 2006, 05:37:07 PM »
Cubs to the fore once more
5:11:11 PM Tue 16 May, 2006
Paul Gough
Sportal for afl.com.au

His team might be coming off a 20-goal hiding at the hands of reigning premiers Sydney and be decimated by injury so you would think the last thing Richmond coach Terry Wallace would want this week is a clash against league leaders Adelaide.

Instead Wallace is revelling in the challenge confronting his young team this week as they come up against a side they have failed to beat since 1999.

Wallace revealed on Tuesday that the Tigers would again be without skipper Kane Johnson (hamstring), full-back Darren Gaspar (hamstring) and fellow tall defenders Ray Hall and Andrew Kellaway (both calf soreness) for the Telstra Dome clash against the Crows.

That means the Tigers are still without all of their recognised key defenders given that young pair Jay Schulz (collarbone) and Will Thursfield (knee) are still sidelined. They are also still missing their vice-captain Nathan Brown, who will re-join full training next week after several weeks of strengthening the leg he broke so badly last season.

With so many senior players out, Wallace was forced to field a team with eight players with less than 20 games experience last week and one which contained just five players with 100 games or more.

And the only likely inclusion to bolster the side this week is former St Kilda and Brisbane ruckman Trent Knobel.

“The reality is we will be going out with a similar type side again but hopefully with a different attitude,” Wallace said.

And it is that chance to test whether his young side has learned from last week’s mauling from Sydney that has got Wallace so excited about coming up against the AFL’s best side this week.

“It’s a fantastic challenge,” Wallace said.

“I would rather that challenge this week after a poor game – to be able to front up against another really good side and see if we can be any more competitive – than going out to play against one of the lower sides in the competition.”

“We are in a learning phase and we had difficulties last week but you are going to learn more coming up similar opposition again to see whether you can turn things around over a seven day period.”

While last week’s 118-point loss to Sydney was the second time in just seven rounds that the Tigers have been beaten by more than 100 points, Wallace said there was no reason for the morale of his players to be down.

“We won our three games before that so it (the loss to the Swans) shouldn’t be allowed to impact on morale,” he said.

“We have got to be stronger than that and say “what we did we learn from the game last week and how can we get better.”

Wallace said he was confident Johnson, Gaspar, Hall and Kellaway would all return for the following week’s clash against Geelong while Brown is expected to still need at least three weeks of full training before he is again considered for selection.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=266111

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Cubs to the fore once more (RFC site)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 05:49:23 PM »
Wallace revealed on Tuesday that the Tigers would again be without skipper Kane Johnson (hamstring), full-back Darren Gaspar (hamstring) and fellow tall defenders Ray Hall and Andrew Kellaway (both calf soreness) for the Telstra Dome clash against the Crows.

Can't say I'm looking forward to this week. It ain't going to be pretty  :-\ :help
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Bulluss

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 06:24:20 PM »
Our team can improve its attitude by 100% this week but it wont make any difference.

Adelaide is a team of very big strong players, our little cubs will be blown out of the water this week unfortunately.

It wont stop me from going, theres not much more we can do with all of the players out.

Jackson can certainly play down back on a leading forward, thankfully the crows dont have too many tall forwards.

I hope the boys stick it up me, but i would very much doubt it will happen.

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 07:52:36 PM »
'Hang about fellows' I am driving down from Coffs Harbour for this game, does this mean I will not have the pleasure of meeting you there?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 09:21:16 PM »
'Hang about fellows' I am driving down from Coffs Harbour for this game, does this mean I will not have the pleasure of meeting you there?

Like Bully I'll be still going. If a miracle is pulled off you'd be spewing if you missed it.

Enjoy your weekend down here in Footy Mecca Mopsy  :thumbsup.

Is anyone meeting up at the Victory Room after the game?

Offline LondonTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 11:28:29 PM »
Ok so my changes this game

Out : Stafford, JON, Hughes
In : Knobel, White, Pattison

Going to be a very tough game for us.

It feels like ages ago that I left the G content I had seen the two tiger wins in 8 days.

Do we even have a snowflakes chance in hell?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Depleted Tigers win little relief (The Age)
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 01:55:33 AM »
Depleted Tigers win little relief
By Michael Gleeson
The Age
May 17, 2006

RICHMOND's threadbare line-up will get little relief this week as it bounces from its second 100-plus-point loss of the year straight into playing the premiership favourite, Adelaide.

Tigers coach Terry Wallace said yesterday Kane Johnson, Andrew Kellaway, Ray Hall and Darren Gaspar all would miss again this week, while Nathan Brown was possibly another five weeks from a return to senior football. Only fringe ruckman Trent Knobel is likely to come into the side of babies and undersized backmen.

"I said to the boys after the game 'I can't offer you up something that says here is the team we are playing next weekend with five key blokes out that are down the bottom of the ladder'," Wallace said.

"We are coming off 100-point losses and I am offering you the equal of any team in the competition.

"We had four drop out on the Friday last week and I would doubt if any of those players would play this week. We will go in with a similarly inexperienced line-up this week … the reality is we will be going out there with a similar type side but hopefully a different attitude.

"We have now got six backmen out and our captain and vice-captain out as well. That is an extraordinary situation, which I haven't had in my time at this club. It is testing."

The side's second 100-point-plus loss in seven rounds was shattering to the club, but understandable given the number of players out of the team, club president Gary March said. The first loss, however, cost the Tigers at least 1000 members and sapped the club of spirit and energy at the season's opening.

"The first one hurt more than the second one," March said of the two losses of 115 points in round one to the Bulldogs and 118 points last weekend against Sydney. "The first one was, to use a cliche, most un-Richmond-like. It was very disappointing, it was just terrible. And it set the whole year back. We would be over 30,000 members now (the Tigers currently have 29,000), I have got no doubt, if we had had a strong performance.

"Last week was disappointing but it permeated through the whole club once we knew those players were out and there was almost a defeatist attitude taken into that game.

"Luke McGuane was playing Coburg reserves the first game this year — Coburg reserves! And he found himself on Michael O'Loughlin, who is in red-hot form. I am still severely disappointed in the performance of the team, we need to show more fight and desire but we had 14 kids that didn't even total 300 games between them and they had Paul Williams playing his 300th game."

Hall and Kellaway are still recovering from calf strains, Johnson and Gaspar from hamstring strains and Brown will resume training again next week in his halted return from a broken leg. "If everything goes right, we would hope to see him back in two to three weeks. If he is getting a bit of loading, maybe three, four or five weeks," Wallace said of Brown.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/05/16/1147545326733.html

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 07:04:08 AM »

Like Bully I'll be still going. If a miracle is pulled off you'd be spewing if you missed it.

Enjoy your weekend down here in Footy Mecca Mopsy  :thumbsup.

Look for WP! and you will find me. :weights Someone has to restrain the prospective 'fencejumper'  :ROTFL

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 07:45:07 AM »

Crows supporters.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 04:18:28 PM »
Look for WP! and you will find me. :weights Someone has to restrain the prospective 'fencejumper'  :ROTFL

Don't forget to bring the straitjacket  Mopsy ;D

Crows supporters.

:P

Where's the 100+ point losers room then? lol