Author Topic: Robbie Tarrant retires [merged]  (Read 39071 times)

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Robbie Tarrant officially a Tiger [merged]
« Reply #105 on: December 22, 2021, 09:26:15 PM »
Super excited about Robbie, good luck coming to him.

Is he a walk up start round 1?

Barring injury he’s a certain starter
He’s a gun
Who steps aside??

Dave Astbury
And Balta…???

I guess the other questions here are:
- will Miller come on?
- when will the club blood Gibcus?

Grimes, Broad, Vlastuin will stay back surely. Maybe Tarrant will allow Balta to try a wing/forward? Then if we play Gibcus or Miller someone else surely needs to move out.

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #106 on: December 23, 2021, 04:31:15 AM »

He’s a gun
Who steps aside??

Dave Astbury
And Balta…???

- will Miller come on?

Grimes, Broad, Vlastuin will stay back surely. Maybe Tarrant will allow Balta to try a wing/forward? Then if we play Gibcus or Miller someone else surely needs to move out.
It’s quite amazing how the team height has altered since 2017, we all of a sudden seem to have an excess of 195 cm athletes, round 1 selection will be very interesting

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #107 on: February 10, 2022, 04:52:39 PM »
The underrated AFL recruits for 2022

Which new signings have been flying under the radar?

By Mitch Keating
zerohanger.com
February 10, 2022

5. Robbie Tarrant (Richmond)

While Tarrant's highly-rated services are well-documented, it will be the underlying factors of his move to Punt Road that will unravel as one of the great rewards for Richmond.

The Tigers' backline was depleted early into the off-season with the departures of incumbent duo Bachar Houli and David Astbury, leaving Richmond to chase senior figures for their defence.

No options on offer came greater than Tarrant, who is sure to aid the Tigers' hopes of returning to the premiership frame.

Add in the experience top draftee Josh Gibcus will gain from the likes of Tarrant, and the former Roos' arrival is sure to bode well in the short and long term for the Tigers.

https://www.zerohanger.com/the-five-underrated-afl-recruits-for-2022-97572/5/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #108 on: February 10, 2022, 05:25:33 PM »
IN TODAY'S AFL Daily, star journalists Damian Barrett and Josh Gabelich join all the dots on football's big issues.

- Why Richmond could have 'the recruit of the year'

LISTEN HERE: https://omny.fm/shows/afl-daily/afl-daily-10-02-22

https://www.afl.com.au/news/702849/listen-early-call-on-recruit-of-the-year-the-player-who-is-a-tease-

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
"Nightmare to play on": Tigers recruit Tarrant hit the ground running (SEN)
« Reply #109 on: February 16, 2022, 07:02:24 AM »
“NIGHTMARE TO PLAY ON”: TIGERS RECRUIT HITS THE GROUND RUNNING

By Alex Zaia
SEN
15 February 2022

Richmond recruit Robbie Tarrant hasn’t missed a beat in his first pre-season at his new club.

The 32-year-old joined the Tigers as an unrestricted free agent on a two-year deal in a trade with North Melbourne last October.

After playing 174 games across 12 seasons at the Kangaroos, Tarrant gets a fresh start at Punt Road with the Tigers looking to reassert themselves as a premiership contender.

New Richmond co-captain Toby Nankervis concedes retired pair David Astbury and Bachar Houli have left “massive holes” down back, but is confident Tarrant’s arrival can go some way to filling the void.

“I don’t think he’s missed a session. He’s completed a whole pre-season,” Nankervis told SEN’s The Run Home.

“He’s super fit, super competitive and the backs absolutely love playing with him.

“He’s going to fit in really well. He’s a nightmare to play on at training.”

Tarrant spurned a two-year contract offer from North Melbourne to make the switch to Richmond.

Tigers coach Damien Hardwick told Fox Footy last October that the veteran defender still has plenty of good football left in him.

“With Dave (Astbury) retiring we felt we had a need for a bigger-bodied defender. And I think that will allow Dylan Grimes and Noah Balta to be a little bit freer down there,” Hardwick said.

“Dylan’s done an incredible job ever since the retirement of Alex (Rance), maintaining that back six. But he’s capable of getting a little bit higher up the ground and playing some really damaging footy us.

“So, I’m really excited by bringing Robbie in that it will allow us to explore the avenue of others as well.

“And I think our forwards were pretty keen to get Robbie out of the North Melbourne team as well because he does a hell of a job.

“He’s 32, but he missed a lot of footy at the start of his career and we think he’s got some really, really good footy in front of him.”

Tarrant won a Syd Barker Medal as North Melbourne’s best and fairest in 2016 and was a rock down back for the Roos over several seasons.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/02/15/nightmare-to-play-on-tigers-recruit-hits-the-ground-running/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #110 on: March 06, 2022, 08:14:32 AM »
What did everyone think of Tarrant's game yesterday?

13 disposals (5k, 8h, 6c, 6u, 84.6% eff.)
4 marks
2 tackles
7 intercepts
101 metres gained
1 score involvement
1 free for
3 frees against
94% time on the ground.

https://www.afl.com.au/matches/4009#player-stats

Online the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #111 on: March 06, 2022, 01:01:13 PM »

He’s a gun
Who steps aside??

Dave Astbury
And Balta…???

- will Miller come on?

we have regularly gone with two KPD'S Astbury Rance and later Astbury Balta and the two talls Grimes and Broad Along with Vlastuin.
Nothing has change except the names.  KPD Tarrant, Miller? along with two of Broad, Grimes, Gibcus along with Vlastuin.

The reality is we have only got taller up fwd but if you delve into it we have consistently looked to find a three tall fwd line set up players just have not come on enough to implement it or they have left prematurely.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #112 on: March 06, 2022, 04:19:32 PM »
Solid

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Could Robbie Tarrant have a "Brian Lake-type effect"? - David King (SEN)
« Reply #113 on: March 07, 2022, 07:55:37 PM »
COULD TIGERS RECRUIT HAVE A “BRIAN LAKE-TYPE EFFECT”?

By Alex Zaia
SEN
7 March 2022

David King wonders if Robbie Tarrant could have a “Brian Lake-type effect” on Richmond.

The Hawks traded for Lake, a dual All-Australian, to bolster their defence after losing the 2012 Grand Final.

The former Bulldog played a key role in Hawthorn’s flag three-peat, winning the Norm Smith Medal in the 2013 Grand Final.

Tarrant’s arrival from North Melbourne strengthens Richmond’s backline following the retirements of David Astbury and Bachar Houli and gives coach Damien Hardwick more flexibility with his other talls.

“It’s not how they play, it’s who now they are playing with,” King told SEN’s Whateley.

“Tarrant comes in and could have a Brian Lake-type effect. You just know that job is going to get done. And then you get (Noah) Balta wherever you want him – ruck or forward.

“That’s full club – that’s recruiting. In he comes.”

Top Tigers draftee Josh Gibcus is knocking on the door for a Round 1 debut, while ruckman Ivan Soldo is fit and available after missing all of 2021 with an ACL injury.

“Gibcus – who will take a contender for Mark of the Year at some stage this year. This kid has got unbelievable ups, he just goes straight up, his vertical leap is ridiculous,” King said.

“Some of Soldo’s pack-crashing contest work in the forward half made you think, ‘Do they have to go a bit taller with their selection?’.

“(Toby) Nankervis is playing, Balta is playing … maybe Soldo has to be in the line-up.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/03/07/could-tigers-recruit-have-a-brian-lake-type-effect/

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
If he does a lake and is a key cog to a 3-peat then I could basically lie down and die.

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
So would Gilligan McLaughlin

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #116 on: March 09, 2022, 07:51:24 PM »
"Selfishly, I was jumping at the idea of getting Robbie over to us," Grimes said.

"He's freed me up a lot over the pre-season and he's a really stable, big body and just a terrific guy and leader.

"He's made my role a lot easier working with some younger backs as well.

"It's meant a real weight has been lifted off our other leaders on to perform."

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/sore-tiger-grimes-desperate-for-afl-opener-c-5989681

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #118 on: March 10, 2022, 04:24:48 PM »
“Robbie’s been fantastic,” Hardwick said.

“He’s a big boy. I didn’t realise how big he was . . .

“I spoke to him about my career when I got traded from Essendon to Port Adelaide.

“It took a couple of games to get to understand when you’re in a (new) system what that looks like.

“He was a little bit disappointed with his Geelong (practice) game, but then I thought we saw on the weekend (against Hawthorn in Devonport) what he’s going to add to us. And he’ll get better again the more games he plays . . .

“He’s got a great understanding of how to nullify leads, how to take away good opponents, when he jumps, he’s quite powerful . . . and he’s a beautiful kick of the ball. So, he’s going to be a welcome addition . . .

“And, although he’s 32, he barely played his first three or four years. So, he hasn’t got a lot of miles in him, which is great.”

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1075874/tarrant-s-smooth-tiger-transition

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #119 on: March 10, 2022, 04:51:31 PM »
He’s an upgrade on Astbury imo so good get.