Author Topic: I'm going out and getting drunk  (Read 3781 times)

Moi

Re: I'm going out and getting drunk
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2006, 09:28:33 PM »
We had the perfect mix of sponsors with TAC and Silvertop.
Shame the TAC couldn't have worked with the club and Silvertop to create a responsible message, like if You Have to Have a Drink, grab a Silvertop.

They blew it - stuff 'em.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2006, 11:59:17 PM »
We are at least $250k better off now with AFG anyway so yep Moi stuff 'em  :thumbsup.

Despite having Buckley on the panel, if the TAC decision got a mention on TFS I must have blinked  ::)
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Collingwood case different, says TAC
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2006, 03:36:02 AM »
Collingwood case different, says TAC
By John Salvado
May 19, 2006

THE Transport Accident Commission has defended its decision to continue its partnership with Collingwood in the face of accusations of hypocrisy.

The TAC yesterday fined Collingwood $200,000 after Magpie Chad Morrison was charged with drink-driving, an amount that equates to the balance the club was owed this year in the first year of a three-year deal.

The TAC defended its decision to continue the partnership, despite having terminated a separate sponsorship deal with Richmond last year after Jay Schulz became the second Tigers player in four years to be charged with drink-driving. Morrison's Magpie teammate Cameron Cloke also lost his licence in 2004 after being booked for travelling at 144 km/h in a 100 km/h zone.

"The primary reason the TAC has decided to continue its partnership with the Collingwood Football Club is to maintain our community programs," TAC communications manager De-Arnne Schmidt said.

"We didn't want the actions of one player to negatively impact on people who benefit from those programs — the broader community and most importantly people who are injured in transport accidents."

Schmidt denied the TAC had applied double standards in its dealings with Richmond and Collingwood.

"The primary purpose of the major sponsorship of the Richmond Football Club was to advertise a message," she said.

"The Richmond Football Club carried the 'drink drive bloody idiot' message on their jumpers. The primary purpose of this relationship is in community programs. They are very different relationships."

Collingwood chief executive Greg Swann acknowledged the TAC would have been within its rights to tear up the deal, which is understood to be worth $1 million over three years.

"We've undertaken that, should an event happen again similar to this, then obviously we would just resign or walk away. This situation has been very embarrassing for us," Swann said. "We don't want to go through this again. This is certainly our last chance."

Morrison lost his driver's licence last month after recording a blood-alcohol reading of 0.093 while riding a motor scooter. The club then fined him $20,000 — four times more than the maximum amount prescribed in the collective bargaining agreement with the AFL Players Association.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/05/18/1147545456199.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
You can imagine what we feel. I'll leave it at that - Miller
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2006, 03:38:41 AM »
Pies on final chance
19 May 2006   Herald Sun
Rebecca Williams

MAGPIE Chad Morrison has vowed to play on after his drink-driving yesterday cost Collingwood $200,000.

"I'm just getting on with my football," Morrison said last night.

The Transport Accident Commission said yesterday it had fined Collingwood $200,000 after Morrison's drink-driving charge last month.

But its decision not to cut its sponsorship has left it fending off suggestions of double standards.

Last year, the TAC ended its 16-year link with Richmond after Jay Schulz became the second Tiger charged with drink-driving.

"You can imagine what we feel. I'll leave it at that," Tigers football director Greg Miller said yesterday.

TAC spokeswoman De-Arnne Schmidt denied the goalposts had shifted. Advertising had been the main purpose of the Richmond sponsorship; with the Magpies, it was community programs, which should continue, she said.

"The TAC has not changed its philosophy, and we by no means condone the actions of Chad Morrison," she said.

"We didn't want the actions of one player to negatively affect people that benefit from those programs.

"The Collingwood players visit rehabilitation hospitals, they visit clients at their homes, they work with disability groups.

"We didn't think it was fair these people should be affected because of the actions of one player who was not involved in any of these programs."

Collingwood fined Morrison $20,000 for his drink-driving offence. In 2004, the TAC fined the Pies $10,000 when Cameron Cloke was caught speeding at 144km/h and lost his licence.

Magpies chief executive Greg Swann was "delighted" that the sponsorship would continue, but conceded "this is certainly our last chance".

"Should an event happen again similar to this, then we would just resign or walk away," he said.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,19183105%255E19742,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
TAC made a practical, positive decision - Sheahan
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2006, 03:42:19 AM »
TAC stays true to Pies and its goals
19 May 2006   Herald Sun
Comment by Mike Sheahan

THE choices for the TAC were simple: bow to precedent and dump Collingwood, or make a practical, positive decision.

Fortunately, it took the tougher course, a choice that may be embarrassing temporarily, yet one that will benefit the community in the long term.

As Irish as it sounds, the Chad Morrison incident represents a windfall for the Transport Accident Commission.

In the end, it has saved $200,000, or 50 per cent of its 2006 sponsorship, while gaining exposure worth millions of dollars along the way.

Morrison's indiscretion, coupled with his ties with the sporting organisation with the highest profile in the country, brought yet more attention to the TAC's most basic of messages: drink drive, bloody idiot.

TAC communications manager De-Arnne Schmidt put it perfectly in a media release yesterday: "The TAC's primary consideration was the fulfilment of its obligations to the Victorian community – to promote road safety."

Who of us isn't more aware of our responsibilities as drivers, and the dangers of drinking and driving, as a result of the Morrison incident and subsequent debate? Despite the occasional lapse, the AFL competition and its clubs are the perfect vehicle for the TAC.

It is both naive and unreasonable to expect no transgression from 600-odd league footballers, young men of 18-plus.

Given football's place in the community in Victoria and much of Australia, the TAC is guaranteed massive exposure when someone such as Morrison, or Richmond's Jay Schulz and Royce Vardy before him, breaks the law.

The TAC has been criticised for its double standards, dumping Richmond and staying with Collingwood. So, what does it do: bend to the threat of a charge of hypocrisy or retain an arrangement that conveys its message to so many people?

Collingwood has 40,000 members and, according to Eddie McGuire, a couple of hundred million followers. Can there be a more direct route to the community psyche?

Schmidt reiterated the TAC message to a huge audience yesterday when she said: "Drink driving is both dangerous and stupid and Chad was extremely lucky neither that he nor anyone else was killed or harmed as a result of his actions."

Imagine the airplay she would have received had she been talking about a sponsorship arrangement with archery, shooting or wrestling.

Collingwood has been suitably contrite. It fined Morrison $20,000, $19,600 more than he was fined by the police at the time, and it has accepted the equivalent of a $200,000 fine.

Yes, it has saved $800,000 by keeping the sponsorship alive for the remaining two years left of the agreement, but chief executive Greg Swann said yesterday the club knew it was on its last chance.

Nathan Buckley, Michael Malthouse and company deliver the TAC with more impact than Australia's best actors because of their standing in the football community.

It would have been irresponsible of the TAC to turn its back on Collingwood simply to exhibit consistency.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,19183100%255E20322,00.html

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2006, 08:02:44 AM »
It smacks of hypocrisy but do we really want to be associated anymore with such a hypocritical sponsor?  Jay Schultz really did us a favour.

Offline Piping Shrike

• Premiership Captain
  • Nothing today
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2006, 11:13:28 AM »
Surely the club should be trying to get a community program based sponsorship from the TAC again.

Not as a major sponsor, but at least it would show that the TAC are serious about getting the message across?

BAD press for the TAC if they dont.  Two different sets of rules is wrong.   

Its almost like saying if two cars break the speed limit by 30km -  A V8 (major sponsor) and a V6 (community sponsor) you could have 2 different outcomes - a fine (for the V6) or a cancellation (for the V8). 

Does that make the V8 sponsor less important?

If Richmond ever associate themselves with TAC at any stage over the next 1000 years I will become a Carlton supporter - even posthumously.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: You can imagine what we feel. I'll leave it at that - Miller
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2006, 12:40:13 PM »
But its decision not to cut its sponsorship has left it fending off suggestions of double standards.

Last year, the TAC ended its 16-year link with Richmond after Jay Schulz became the second Tiger charged with drink-driving.

"You can imagine what we feel. I'll leave it at that," Tigers football director Greg Miller said yesterday.

TAC spokeswoman De-Arnne Schmidt denied the goalposts had shifted. Advertising had been the main purpose of the Richmond sponsorship; with the Magpies, it was community programs, which should continue, she said.

"The Collingwood players visit rehabilitation hospitals, they visit clients at their homes, they work with disability groups.

What alot of crap  :chuck :chuck :chuck

Got a newsflash for you love - when the Tiges were with the TAC they did all this community stuff too because it was part of the deal. Just ask the players who went to the hospitals etc. I actually feel for this woman because she's been sent out there by the TAC and told to spin a line and guess what she's being made to look like a fool.

There is no whay they can justify their hypocritcal stance on this - NO WAY

And then to hear Naffan Buckley this morning crap on about how thet visit schools etc -  :banghead :banghead :banghead

As I said what a lot of crap

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: You can imagine what we feel. I'll leave it at that - Miller
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2006, 03:43:13 PM »

What alot of crap  :chuck :chuck :chuck

Got a newsflash for you love - when the Tiges were with the TAC they did all this community stuff too because it was part of the deal. Just ask the players who went to the hospitals etc. I actually feel for this woman because she's been sent out there by the TAC and told to spin a line and guess what she's being made to look like a fool.

There is no whay they can justify their hypocritcal stance on this - NO WAY

And then to hear Naffan Buckley this morning crap on about how thet visit schools etc -  :banghead :banghead :banghead

As I said what a lot of crap

This was woman interviewed on 3aw. She bumbled her way through it repeating the company line like a parrot.

I thought we did community programs for the TAC but wasn't sure what specifically we did. Thanks WP for confirming that. Stuff 'em! The TAC are a perfect fit for the Pies. They both believe their own crap  ::)
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2006, 03:44:43 AM »
One-eyed TAC
Herald-Sun Editorial
20may06

RICHMOND Football Club is rightly peeved over the Transport Accident Commission's lenient treatment of Collingwood over Chad Morrison's drink-driving.

The TAC controversially decided to continue its sponsorship of the Magpies, but fined the club $200,000.

Last year the TAC ended its 16-year link with Richmond after Jay Schulz became the second Tiger player to be charged with drink-driving.

TAC spokeswoman De-Arnne Schmidt sounded less than convincing when she said the Pies sponsorship was related to community programs that they wanted to continue, while advertising was the main purpose of the Richmond sponsorship.

It was a statement that contained more spin than a Rocca torp.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,19191080%255E24218,00.html

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2006, 12:10:55 PM »
Dale Weightman was on SEN last Thursday night and he was more than a bit ticked off by the suggestion that the Richmond sponsorship didn’t involve community based work.

He was actually involved in the community work that the players did to get the TAC message out there.

For whatever reason, maybe the TAC don’t want to give the real reasons why they terminated their sponsorship of RFC, which is up to them.  No problem with that.  But don’t then spin absolute twang to people, to justify their actions.  It’s an insult to peoples’ intelligence and puts their credibility in doubt when others call their bluff.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2006, 01:20:49 PM »
Dale Weightman was on SEN last Thursday night and he was more than a bit ticked off by the suggestion that the Richmond sponsorship didn’t involve community based work.

He was actually involved in the community work that the players did to get the TAC message out there.

For whatever reason, maybe the TAC don’t want to give the real reasons why they terminated their sponsorship of RFC, which is up to them.  No problem with that.  But don’t then spin absolute twang to people, to justify their actions.  It’s an insult to peoples’ intelligence and puts their credibility in doubt when others call their bluff.

Spot on TS - that's what ticked me off and left me feeling a little bit sorry for De-Arnn ( I think that was her name) - she was thrown the wolves a bit. I mean she clearly had no idea what had happened in the past was made to look like a fool by her bosses who didn'thave the guts to face the media themselves because they knew they'd be seen for what they are a bunch of hypocrites  >:(
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)