Author Topic: Fitness / Conditioning / Luke Meehan appointed Physical Performance Manager [merged]  (Read 19042 times)

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Luke Meehan appointed Physical Performance Manager (RFC)
« Reply #120 on: June 27, 2024, 01:34:53 PM »

I know COVID and cuts to the soft cap certainly played their part but im not sure why we seemed to struggle as much as any other club given how much more $$$ we were bringing in than any other club at the time coming off 3 flags.

IMHO With the soft cap cuts it all came down to where they put their focus on the allocation of the available $$.

Which makes me tend to agree with Andyy's comment below....

I wonder if we were just drinking our own bathwater a bit and thought we were so damned good we could do it all from inside.

Come on mate let's say how it is. Covid crap is long gone we don't have excuses now. Football department dropped the ball and standards. Like I have been saying should be more focus on who's running the footy department.

Offline Wazza

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
As you say, COVID is gone. 
People are back at the footy, memberships are up, everyone is watching the footy so where are the cap limits now?? Have they been reinstated to as they were pre COVID?

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
People are back at the footy, memberships are up, everyone is watching the footy so where are the cap limits now?? Have they been reinstated to as they were pre COVID?

Spot on 💯 other clubs getting right and hiring top notch staff. Seems like here to many make excuses for the club and accept  mediocre.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Are we putting too much money toward PRO?

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
Are we putting too much money toward PRO?

...and Bingo was his name-o... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
yes we are IMO. Benny had one foot in his Tassy/afl bed and anyone who thinks he was 100% on the ball here are kidding themselves, in terms of the footy department and PRO.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Tiger_In_Sicily

• RFC Hall of Fame
yes we are IMO. Benny had one foot in his Tassy/afl bed and anyone who thinks he was 100% on the ball here are kidding themselves, in terms of the footy department and PRO.
Spot on
The club has become mess once again

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond

No the footy department soft cap is nowhere pre COVID levels at least $2 mil short of the number it was before it got slashed. They only increased it this year by $800k. So since they cut it by over $3.3mil they've reinstated just on $1 mil

Spot on 💯 other clubs getting right and hiring top notch staff. Seems like here to many make excuses for the club and accept  mediocre.

Clearly that's a cheap shot at me. I get really peeved when people throw the chestnut of accepting mediocrity.

I will do my best to try and explain my opinion as best I can. I have no doubt you won't agree but hey that's life.

Andyy, made a point which I tend to agree with and that is we thought we were so good we made this appointment from within.

Part of it IMHO is that with cuts to the soft cap we focused on putting funds in certain areas. Clearly the fitness dept was one of the areas we didn't focus on. Hence, why we are in the mess we find ourselves in. The appointment of Meehan has clearly been a massive mistake.

The soft cap cuts are a reality. Whether you or anyone wants to accept let alone acknowledge it.

Every Club had to make adjustments, changes. We have absolutely no idea where any of the Clubs made changes to in their footy departments to stay under the soft cap. No Club has said where they cut. Outside of Essendon no Club has paid over the cap since it's been cut and that's because they had to because they sacked a coach.

You keep harping on about who's running the Footy Dept. The 2 blokes running were recommended by the former footy boss, one Neil Balme. I trust Balmy's judgement as i have the utmost respect for him. Have you ever considered why he moved out of the footy dept? Ever considered why it happened after the cuts were announced? Think about it, it isn't hard to put 1 and 1 together to get 2  ::)

As for the redevelopment are people seriously suggesting the Club go into massive debt to fund it?

FWIW our Club spends the entire soft cap. Should we go over and then pay a 100% tax to help fund the strugglers? IMHO the answer is no.

Are we spending the soft cap in the right areas. Seeing I don't know how it is all allocated I'm not 100% sure. But what I do know is for 2025 the fitness area and by extension the medical team needs to be a major focus.

Clear enough?

« Last Edit: August 26, 2024, 05:07:06 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Wazza

• Jack Dyer medallist

No the footy department soft cap is nowhere pre COVID levels at least $2 mil short of the number it was before it got slashed. They only increased it this year by $800k. So since they cut it by over $3.3mil they've reinstated just on $1 mil

Thanks for answering that. Guess the AFL just love to try make things hard for everyone  :banghead
They are clearly just wanting clubs to spend the extra so they can rake in the extra dough to fill their pockets with??!!

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame

Clearly that's a cheap shot at me. I get really peeved when people throw the chestnut of accepting mediocrity.

I will do my best to try and explain my opinion as best I can. I have no doubt you won't agree but hey that's life.

Andyy, made a point which I tend to agree with and that is we thought we were so good we made this appointment from within.

Part of it IMHO is that with cuts to the soft cap we focused on putting funds in certain areas. Clearly the fitness dept was not one of the areas we didn't focus on. Hence, why we are in the mess we find ourselves in. The appointment of Meehan has clearly been a massive mistake.

The soft cap cuts are a reality. Whether you or anyone wants to accept let alone acknowledge it.

Every Club had to make adjustments, changes. We have absolutely no idea where any of the Clubs made changes to in their footy departments to stay under the soft cap. No Club has said where they cut. Outside of Essendon no Club has paid over the cap since it's been cut and that's because they had to because they sacked a coach.

You keep harping on about who's running the Footy Dept. The 2 blokes running were recommended by the former footy boss, one Neil Balme. I trust Balmy's judgement as i have the utmost respect for him. Have you ever considered why he moved out of the footy dept? Ever considered why it happened after the cuts were announced? Think about it, it isn't hard to put 1 and 1 together to get 2  ::)

As for the redevelopment are people seriously suggesting the Club go into massive debt to fund it?

FWIW our Club spends the entire soft cap. Should we go over and then pay a 100% tax to help fund the strugglers? IMHO the answer is no.

Are we spending the soft cap in the right areas. Seeing I don't know how it is all allocated I'm not 100% sure. But what I do know is for 2025 the fitness area and by extension the medical team needs to be a major focus.

Clear enough?

Each to there own mate let’s not forget we're not paying a Dimma salary to Yze also so that money is available to.

I keep mentioning the 2 running the footy department because there needs to be accountability. Not just to pin it on Meehan. Yes Balme recommended them that doesn't mean they have done a great job tho.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2024, 03:32:11 PM by georgies31 »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richo: Dan Rioli is the only player who has played every game. How frustrating has that been for the football department?

Livingstone: Really frustrating. It's been frustrating for Adem. Like he's coaching with one arm tied behind his back. But as much as many of them have been collision or poor landing and bad luck, there's been ones that we've been frustrated by - soft tissues - which we want to get better at. We're reviewing it all the time. We're seeking expert advice. We're wanting to get these guys on the track. We want to set them up to play consistent football for long periods of time. It's been tough but the growth from it has been what we've spoken previously about. It's the opportunity for other kids to play.

Richo: So that high performance area - it's something that's constantly reviewed?

Livingstone: It's reviewed daily. We've got some of the best in the business. Been in the game at an elite level for a long time. They don't sit on their hands at all. Apart from working as a group, they seek expert opinion externally. They are doing everything they can to improve the injury rate. It's not where we want to be. Sometimes this happens with football clubs. But we want to improve. We always want to improve.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/1608829/tim-livingstone-on-talking-tigers?videoId=1608829&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1721712174001

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
Some of the best in the business

Yep

It’s showing

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....

Yep

It’s showing

Best spin doctors....:clapping
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame

Yep

It’s showing

Don’t worry about that quote - he has to say that

“there's been ones that we've been frustrated by - soft tissues - which we want to get better at”

This is the telling quote. Points directly at change.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
This bloke should be the first cut. Before any player or coach