Author Topic: Fitness / Conditioning / Luke Meehan appointed Physical Performance Manager [merged]  (Read 19248 times)

FooffooValve

Re: Luke Meehan appointed Physical Performance Manager (RFC)
« Reply #90 on: April 26, 2023, 07:37:56 PM »

:banghead :banghead

did anyone actually say that? What people have said its an issue, amongst others things like performance of senior players, discipline issues, personnel issues etc

Wake up please.

Lol. Hopefully all that head banging exorcises the fitness bloke that is living rent free inside your head.  :rollin

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #91 on: April 27, 2023, 12:27:19 AM »
Both our starts and finishes have been ordinary in most games  :P. Our only strong quarter has been the second.

2023 Quarter Statistics

Quarter   W   D   L        For           Against           %
1st          2   0   4   15.13 (103)   18.19 (127)   81.10
2nd         2   0   4   20.16 (136)   13.15 (93)   146.24
3rd          2   0   4   18.15 (123)   20.30 (150)   82.00
4th          2   0   4   13.15 (93)      20.14 (134)   69.40
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total        8   0   16   66.59 (455)   71.78 (504)   90.28

FooffooValve

« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2023, 08:22:48 AM »
Yeah was making a similar point earlier. It's hard to argue that fitness is responsible for a bad first quarter, especially when the second is better.

Also, our running stats (distance covered and short burst running) matched Collingwood's in this round. They won, we lost. Similarly, we covered more distance and had more short burst running than Brisbane in last year's elimination final. Interestingly, Adelaide smashed us in running stats in round 2, but we won by 5 goals. Our stats in the Bulldogs game were the same or slightly better, and we lost by 5 points. Make of that what you will.

Now, it is easy to make stats say anything you want, that's a given. But our running stats (which are a reasonable indication of fitness levels  - at least it is something quantifiable and is probably a better indication than gut feel) aren't appreciably different to other sides. They are freely available on the AFL app and make interesting reading.

If you look at the stats, you could make an argument that they support the idea that the age profile of our side and personnel available is reflected in our starts and finishes  i.e. finding it hard to match the speed of 'average younger' sides early, grinding back in to games through the middle and back end but perhaps spending too many tickets to get back and thus finding it hard to get across the line. But overall we are covering similar ground and similar burst running, just not distributing it over the game in a balanced way. So our fitness per se is comparable to the better sides in the competition but maybe not being deployed ideally due to other factors.

Offline Gigantor

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #93 on: April 27, 2023, 08:48:17 AM »
I also think having a few too many older players doesn’t help one bit when it comes to lifting a notch in order to win games . Doubt the cotches, Prestia, grimes , etc have too many gears they can ramp up to anymore . Sad to say it but as in most things in life youth dominates the physical realm.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #94 on: April 27, 2023, 10:15:23 AM »
I also think having a few too many older players doesn’t help one bit when it comes to lifting a notch in order to win games . Doubt the cotches, Prestia, grimes , etc have too many gears they can ramp up to anymore . Sad to say it but as in most things in life youth dominates the physical realm.

I was talking to friend about what impact if any the age profile of our list playing in this injury mess (soft tissue not bone breaks)

I made the observation that when Burge first joined Richmond we had a relatively young list and during that time I think we had few soft tissue injuries. Last few years that flipped significantly. Burge is now gone to Hawthorn who have a young list and their injury list is mainly concussions with no soft tissue injuries at all.

I posed the question are Burge's methods more suited to young bodies, to make them hardened for the rigours of AFL as opposed to older bodies/lists

Which bought me to us and Meehan. He did his apprenticeship under Burge, so considering everything he would have learnt from Burge are his methods in this current season morecsuited to younger players? Most of our injuries are with our older guys so is there some sort of correlation? Or has he changed things up so much that our players conditioning is taking time to get used to the new ways?

I am as frustrated as anyone, I think our soft tissue injuries in particular are unacceptable and for that the buck obviously stops with the head of fitness and his team.

It would be interesting to know what's changed (if anything)

If nothing has changed from the Burge then it needs to and it is incumbent on the Club to ensure that Meehan is given what he needs to ensure it does

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

FooffooValve

« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2023, 11:28:02 AM »

I agree. Also, when you are managing a Prestia or Clarke or Mansell (one for injury prevention and another because their tank isn't fully developed) at under 70% game time, then you may be red zoning someone else at different stages, which risks a soft tissue injury. Not an easy balance for the coaches in the heat of battle and has flow on effects to the injury list. Not sure you can blame fitness people for that, everyone has their limit.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #96 on: April 27, 2023, 12:44:18 PM »
Our fitness is normally a slow burn compared to other sides so that we are peaking during September rather than in March/April

I suspect we will be in prime match fitness by round 15 and peaking by first final or the end of season trip to Cancun.
The club that keeps giving.

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #97 on: April 27, 2023, 12:57:09 PM »
Old age & treachery defeats youth & skill ... in most things. 

Except football ...     :-\
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline Gigantor

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #98 on: April 27, 2023, 03:15:38 PM »
I would have loved to have kept playing in the lower leagues of the amos, but unfortunately at 34 I realised post games that I was starting to have trouble taking care of personal hygiene when I visited the little footballers room(toilet), not to mention that once I plonked myself on the couch the Cape Kennedy rocket hauler was needed to get me off it . So I sort of get where our older players are at I guess , although my level of fitness was not even comparable to them

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #99 on: April 30, 2023, 08:51:49 PM »
Agree. Not good enough

Was it this bloke insisting no balls be used until February?

We were training full ground drills with the football in December.  Burge was the guy who had us doing football free December.

Our GPS numbers are up measurably over this pre-season.  Including for repeat sprints/high intensity efforts.  Just a couple of facts.

Tigeritis did we get clarity on when these all important football free sessions were held. December 2022 was it?

Its certainly working a treat, and i hope it was december 2021 as old man Burges was long gone by dec 22 :shh
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #100 on: May 05, 2023, 02:52:03 PM »
The AFL app has a workrate tracker for each match.

Workrate (km/hr)

Attack                      Defence
              Rich  Opp    Diff           Rich   Opp    Diff

R1 Carl    6.3    8.2   -1.9            6.7    7.7    -1.0
R2 Adel    7.3   7.9    -0.6           7.5    7.4    +0.1
R3 Coll     8.4   8.1   +0.3           8.1    8.3     -0.2
R4 Dogs   8.2   8.1   +0.1           8.1    8.0    +0.1
R5 Syd     7.7   7.7    ---             7.3    7.8    -0.5
R6 Melb   7.7   7.8    -0.1            7.4    8.1    -0.7
R7 Suns   8.1   8.3    -0.2           7.7    8.6    -0.9

Source: AFL app workrate tracker.

Whether it's due to aging players, too many inexperienced cubs, underdone players thanks to an interrupted preseason, or that simply we are not just plain fit enough, we are unable to match our opposition most weeks in terms of fitness. Looking at these stats we are clearly being outworked especially defensively :help.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #101 on: May 05, 2023, 04:08:33 PM »
 :lol :lol

ageing bodies last year as well? Always an excuse. How about some accountability for this mob?

Cotch cops it as does cumberland but no such issues for this group of clowns.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

FooffooValve

« Reply #102 on: May 05, 2023, 04:11:16 PM »
They are average speed in defence & attack stats. It means we are slower, not being 'outworked'. You can basically put that down to Riewoldt, Lynch, Martin, Prestia and Cotchin. Put five 22- 25year olds in instead of them, and we'd be a hell of a lot quicker in defensive transition. But we might not win any games.

Online lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #103 on: May 05, 2023, 05:35:08 PM »
Again further highlights how much we miss lambert. His avg pace in attack and defence was insane

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #104 on: May 05, 2023, 09:22:48 PM »
Or maybe our standards aren’t as high as they used to be.

Nobody is immune to the dangers of stagnation. Question is whether or not those in management can identify the minutiae of substandard practices across the whole footy department.

Excuses are a prime example of diminishing standards.

All it takes is a little leaven to leaven the whole batch.

Mediocrity is like a cancer.

Attention Intrest Decision Action

Coffee is for closers!  Always Be Closing!

The club that keeps giving.